Turn on thread page Beta

Think I'm going to struggle a lot :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student and started med school a few days back, nd I think I'm going to struggle badly.

I seem to have no friends and i don't seem to understand the lectures.

the friends bit, I'm pretty confident I'll get after a few days or weeks at least.
    But the studying part.!!!
    everyone else seems to be scribbling off notes whereas I just wait clueless on what to write and find it hard to understand, what can I do?

help needed urgently.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into whether your uni offers study help sessions? We were offered classes on how to take notes, and how to study independently, through the Student Support department.

What is it you don't understand? The concepts, or the language, or what? If you're confused about how a lecturer is explaining something, you can either email them or ask them after the lecture to clarify it for you.

You can't be the only one struggling, so try talking to people at the start/end of lectures - there will be other international students who are probably also struggling, as well as local students who are just writing absolutely everything down in the vague hope that it might make sense later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Have you looked into whether your uni offers study help sessions? We were offered classes on how to take notes, and how to study independently, through the Student Support department.

What is it you don't understand? The concepts, or the language, or what? If you're confused about how a lecturer is explaining something, you can either email them or ask them after the lecture to clarify it for you.

You can't be the only one struggling, so try talking to people at the start/end of lectures - there will be other international students who are probably also struggling, as well as local students who are just writing absolutely everything down in the vague hope that it might make sense later.
    I missed freshers week, so missed it all.

Do you think I wil understand if I study the text book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rabbit99)
    I missed freshers week, so missed it all.

Do you think I wil understand if I study the text book?
    I don't think I recall anything useful from freshers week. Contact student support (or your unis equivalent) and enquire - the classes I mentioned were drop-in sessions run throughout the term, not in freshers.

Studying the textbook might help in the short term, but if you're at a lecture-based uni then you're going to have a very isolated few years. If you have a personal tutor, speak to them about this.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to feel out of place during the first semester! Just remember that you would not have gained a place to study medicine if the admissions tutors didn't think you were capable enough!

During the first semester, everyone is keen to make an impression. Everyone will be writing down every word the lecturer says and most students will try and learn as much as possible. Don't pay to much attention to others, you'll find that attendance to lectures slowly dwindles and people will be dozing off during them! lol and people will start to study less and less until finals approach! lol

Perhaps get a copy of the lecture after and go through it at home...it maybe that you just need to spend some extra time reading up and memorizing material before it clicks.

And don't worry too much about making friends...your there for 5 years and it'll naturally happen

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.