Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey lovelies!

I'm currently doing some research for my dissertation. I'm looking at how clothes sizes affect a woman's self esteem.
    How do you feel about wearing larger / smaller size clothes? For example, would you feel better if you could slip into a size 10 rather than a 14, or does size really not matter?
    Along with this, do you like/dislike'vanity sizing'? Some women I have spoken to have said that it is a good thing, others have said that it is a really bad thing, and that the clothing industry should have a standardized sizing system. What do YOU think? Do you get frustrated at being different sizes in different shops, and if so, who do you think the worst offenders are?

Thanks for your help (in advance!) K x

ReputationRep:
    The size is just a general description of my physical size. I'm not sad about being a 'size 16', I'm sad about being big enough to need a size 16. How I look naked is the most important thing, because it's the truest reflection of my body. Yes, I would love to drop down to a size 8/10 but that's only because it would have meant I'd have lost weight and (hopefully) toned up.

I think sizes should be in inches, or at least standardised.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like to go up a size, because I don't want to put on any weight, as I like my body as it is now. I don't think i'd feel any better about myself if I went down a size.

I think vanity sizing is ridiculous, you may as well accept the size that you are. It just makes shopping irritating, particularly online shopping because you can't try the items on before buying, so if you're going to be different sizes in different stores, you have to go to all the hassle of sending items back to exchange them. It would all be so much easier if sizes were standardized, and that includes shoe sizes which i've also found to vary quite a lot from store to store.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 10/12. It varies quite a bit depending on the store. I tend to buy clothes based on the fit, not the size. However, there is one shop that the size 10 jeans fit me perfectly and it is quite a thrill to buy the 10. I'm extremely petite though, barely 5"3 and I'm also quite small across my shoulders, so I don't think any bigger than a 12 would suit me. That said, if I needed a 14 I'd buy it and not worry about it. I'd just rather it not become my regular size - based on health reasons rather than wanting to be 'skinny'.

Standard sizing would definitely be good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylalou07)
    Hey lovelies!

I'm currently doing some research for my dissertation. I'm looking at how clothes sizes affect a woman's self esteem.
    How do you feel about wearing larger / smaller size clothes? For example, would you feel better if you could slip into a size 10 rather than a 14, or does size really not matter?
    Along with this, do you like/dislike'vanity sizing'? Some women I have spoken to have said that it is a good thing, others have said that it is a really bad thing, and that the clothing industry should have a standardized sizing system. What do YOU think? Do you get frustrated at being different sizes in different shops, and if so, who do you think the worst offenders are?

Thanks for your help (in advance!) K x
    Usually I am a size 12 and I'll admit it, if I'm in a shop and the 12 is too small then I feel horrendously fat but if it's too big I do feel good. It's not so much the number that's attached to it though, so if they 'vanity-sized' it wouldn't make a difference. I think it's more trying on something that's too small makes you feel big and due to media influence we/I feel that that's bad. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 6 and vanity sizing really annoys me because it makes it hard to find clothes that fit as most places won't do smaller sizes even if their clothes run big. To be honest though I think vanity sizing is really pointless anyway as if you are two sizes smaller in a shop then you know that everyone else will be too and it's not like the clothes are actually any smaller or they wouldn't fit. There's no point in being happy you're a size smaller in one shop because chances are you'll be back to your normal size the next shop you go into.
    If I'm honest then if I struggle to fit into a 6 or an 8 in a shop then I do have a bit of a panic that maybe I've suddenly gained a load of weight but then I'll remember that the clothes I already own fit exactly the same so I can't have and then I'll feel a bit silly lol.

I think it would be a lot better to have a standardised sizing system, especially with so many places selling clothes on the web now. It would make it much easier to know whether or not something would fit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 12 in general, but sometimes buy smaller.
    If I went out shopping with friends and I had to try on/buy a size 16, while all my friends tried on/bought a size 8 then I'd probably feel quite down and have low self esteem for the rest of the day. Probably because I'd feel kinda out of place and like I should diet or something, even though some people who wear size 16 aren't really overweight.
    If I was wearing a size smaller than I usually get then I'd say it would give me more self esteem as I'd have felt like I've achieved something, even if I hadn't been dieting.
    Having to buy a bigger size because something doesn't fit can be quite annoying and make you feel slightly dis-heartened towards the item. Although, I'm the type of person who will try on the bigger size first just to avoid the disappointment, and also I'll feel happier having exchanged a size 12 for a 10, rather than a 10 for 12.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a 8 but now i've discovered that i've gone up to an 8-10 But up until last week, when my sister pointed out that it was becoming obvious that i was wearing clothes too small for me, did i think about getting anything in a size 10. It makes me feel good when i can say i wear a size 8 but now that i have to wear a 10, meh. I still fit into an 8 in some shops though so that's good I just feel that the moment i start going up in sizes i wont be able to stop till i'm FAT! so i try to stay the way i am.

ReputationRep:
    I watched an interview with Gok Wan where he said that women should go into a shop, pick up an item of clothing and kind of judge if it would fit from the look of it, try it on etc and dont look at the size until you have bought it and got home!
    Every shop has different cuts and what not, so it's really hard for everyone to buy one particular size everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Size doesn't matter at all, i look for how i want the clothing to fit.
    Vanity sizing doesn't really bother me except soon we will have size 0000 which is a bit ridic. Even in the same shop my size can differ upon the item worst offender is somewhere like topshop. Would never dare to buy something in a size 10 there!

ReputationRep:
    I HATE vanity sizing!

A size 12 used to be a 24inch waist in years gone by!

Now a size 6 in topshop is 25 inch waist, and size 6's seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

I also hate the fact that there are so many shops for 'plus size' but if there was one for us smaller girls it would be frowned upon, basically saying it's ok to be overweight but not underweight. Now don't take that the wrong way, a lot of plus size girls aren't overweight and are naturally that size, just like I'm not underweight, I'm naturally slim but it's putting across a message just as bad as only having tiny tall models on the catwalk!

And I'm fed up of the whole 'Oh you're so skinny!' because the same person would certainly not walk up to a bigger sized girl and say 'Oh you're so fat!' would they? Double standards much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 10. Sometimes I buy a bigger size because that particular item of clothing would look better if it was a bit more baggy. For example a few weeks ago I saw a jumper I loved, but it was sort of cropped to show off your tummy and I didn't like that, so I bought it in a size 16 so it would be baggy and the length of a normal jumper. But if I ever couldn't fit into a size 10 i'd be pretty upset yes.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt really bother me I guess. Im a size 8 but I like wearing baggy clothes so it go for 10 or 12 sometimes, esp on T shirts and jumpers. I can imagine people being upset over not fitting in to their sizes and having to go for a bigger size. For me sometimes I get upset when the item i want is on sale and they only have a big size, thats the time when i get really upset.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 8 when it comes to tops/sweaters, but buying jeans always lowers my self-esteem. I have a size 27 waist but I have thunder thighs and most jeans these days are skinny jeans :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    I'm noticing a lack of gentlemanly vegetables in this thread.

I''ll post anyway, as I had something to say before entering;

When I was hitting the gym hard, and the results gradually became clear, I noticed almost by proxy that I was buying more snugly-fitting clothing, particularly sweaters and upper body attire. Now that I haven't lifted for around four months, become somewhat smaller and less defined, I've adopted a different style-- a more baggier, relaxed fit.

I have in the past ditched clothes due to their bagginess and/or tightness on the body, so I guess my view depends on my current state of mind and happiness with my own body. Right now, I don't really care, so buy clothes only for style and fit. The size wouldn't be an issue, unless I suddenly found that I had to pack myself into a pair of 32 trousers.

ReputationRep:
    I personally fink that people but such a big stigma to the size of clothes especially women. I am personally I size 12 however I can wear a size 14 at times or a size 10. It doesn't really bother me to be honest as long as the clothes I wear fit. The whole idea that you are one size for ever single shop and every single type of clothing can sometimes lead to unflattering clothes making you feel "fatter" than you really.
    I always say look at the fitting not the number

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 10 and honestly, I feel quite upset if I can't fit into a 10 in certain shops/styles. It does give me a bit of a boost if I fit into an 8, but then again I know I'm not an 8, so vanity sizing doesn't make a big difference, because I know that's exactly what it is. I do get frustrated that shops are different sizes because it makes internet shopping difficult, as you're never quite sure how big/small the item is going to be!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 6 and dislike being right at the bottom of the size chain. I feel skinny and childish next to my size 8-10 friend, but I find it hard to put on weight. I eat and gain weight, but then something upsets me or I just don't feel hungry, and it drops off again. I would like to wear larger sizes without them hanging off me and do believe a size 4 should be stocked in more places.

EDIT: I missed out the worst offenders. Jane Norman fits me fantastically but a 6 petite in next still hangs off me. Next is a big offender for making big sizes in my opinion. Technically Jane Norman is an offender too because their size 6 clothes are another store's size 4, they just happen to fit me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 8-10 and wouldn't want to be smaller or larger than that. Simply because I don't want to lose/gain any weight.
    I do find it ridiculous though, that I can go into one shop and I'm a size 8, yet I go in another and I'm a size 10.
    Also online shopping can be tricky, some places use this system:

S 8-10
    M 10-12
    L-12-14

Others use this:

S 10
    M 12
    L 14

Or:

S 8
    M 10
    L 12

But many shops just have "S,M,L" as the drop down section, but it doesn't always tell you which letter stands for what size.
    I could order a Medium thinking I'm getting a size 10, when actually I'm getting a 12.

I agree the entire sizing system is quite silly, and confusing.

ReputationRep:
    'Vanity sizing' annoys me greatly. Having my clothes range from a size 6 to a size 10 is infuriating as I'm never too sure which size to pick and end up carrying 3 of the same item into changing rooms to figure out which actually fits. :sigh:

I don't feel any increase in positive self esteem if I manage to get into a 6 instead of an 8 or a 10 as I know my body size hasn't changed from the minimal walk from one shop to another. :indiff:

It'd be a whole lot easier if a standardised sizing system was implemented, yes.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.