The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who thinks that a parking attendant gives anyone any leeway is simply a fool.

If you see them writing the ticket, but the ticket isn't on the car. Jump in the car and drive off.
Even if they put it on the car, and you see them but they haven't taken any pictures, drive off, appeal it and ask for photographic evidence.

Also

Edit: This video only applies to private parking tickets. Not for civil or criminal tickets, such as those issues by local government or the police.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ocelotrevs

Anyone who thinks that a parking attendant gives anyone any leeway is simply a fool.

If you see them writing the ticket, but the ticket isn't on the car. Jump in the car and drive off.
Even if they put it on the car, and you see them but they haven't taken any pictures, drive off, appeal it and ask for photographic evidence.

Also

Good info! But I'm sure if you try to drive off they'll block you from doing so by standing in front of your car.
Reply 42
Original post by DanielMonopoly
what's false?

That driving away means they cannot issue a ticket. They can, they just have to do so under a different regulation.
Reply 43

Also

Worth noting that this only applies to private parking tickets, not police/council ones.
Reply 44
Original post by Clip
"It's in the system" is a common lie used. It makes no difference whether the PCN has been printed or not. The only thing that matters is whether or not it has been issued to you or the vehicle.

It was in the system, Where I live (and from my experience) it is 'in the system' when the ticket was printed, As It was printed when I got back to my car. It used to be when the ticket touched the car, however there was a problem in my area of people removing the tickets off of peoples cars so they changed it (with the backing of the local community), and now they offer a service where you can ring up if you possible thought you may have got a ticket to check if you did get one by your reg, instead of racking up huge bills. It's displayed clearly on the boards where you pay to park.
Reply 45
Original post by Xyls
It was in the system, Where I live (and from my experience) it is 'in the system' when the ticket was printed, As It was printed when I got back to my car. It used to be when the ticket touched the car, however there was a problem in my area of people removing the tickets off of peoples cars so they changed it (with the backing of the local community), and now they offer a service where you can ring up if you possible thought you may have got a ticket to check if you did get one by your reg, instead of racking up huge bills. It's displayed clearly on the boards where you pay to park.

There's no such thing as "in the system", and it's not regional - it's national.

It doesn't matter what a parking attendant does or says - if the PCN is not placed on your car or given to you in person, it is not a valid PCN. Parking Attendants almost always take photos now as proof - and if they don't have it, they cannot claim to have done so. Some PCN machines even incorporate cameras for this purpose.

There is no need to call anyone up. If it didn't go on your car, or in your hand - you don't have to pay.

The only exceptions are CCTV PCNs, which can be invalid for any number of reasons.
Reply 46
Original post by Clip
There's no such thing as "in the system", and it's not regional - it's national.

It doesn't matter what a parking attendant does or says - if the PCN is not placed on your car or given to you in person, it is not a valid PCN. Parking Attendants almost always take photos now as proof - and if they don't have it, they cannot claim to have done so. Some PCN machines even incorporate cameras for this purpose.

There is no need to call anyone up. If it didn't go on your car, or in your hand - you don't have to pay.

The only exceptions are CCTV PCNs, which can be invalid for any number of reasons.

Did you not just read what I wrote at all?

We had a issue of teens going through the car park's and pulling off the PCN's when people weren't at their cars. It was decided with the local town council/Parking attendant office in the local towns council/the residents of the towns that they would offer the service as people were getting PCN's and not even realising it since they weren't on the cars and in exchange for this service PCN's were logged when the ticket was printed, not when it touched the car.
Original post by DanielMonopoly
How long does that take?

It can take a few weeks.
Reply 48
Original post by Xyls
Did you not just read what I wrote at all?

We had a issue of teens going through the car park's and pulling off the PCN's when people weren't at their cars. It was decided with the local town council/Parking attendant office in the local towns council/the residents of the towns that they would offer the service as people were getting PCN's and not even realising it since they weren't on the cars and in exchange for this service PCN's were logged when the ticket was printed, not when it touched the car.

Right, so essentially in your area, people have voluntarily created a "bye-law" whereby Parking Attendants can issue PCNs without having to be anywhere near your vehicle?

Fantastic precedent for the rest of the country.

The way to have dealt with that would have been to have waited for the postal PCN and paid the reduced amount, citing the apparently known factor of your local scrotes.

Instead, what has been created is an extra power for parking attendants who could now sit in a cafe, wait to see drivers jump out of their cars, and remotely log the PCNs without ever having to approach the vehicle.
Original post by barnetlad

It can take a few weeks.

But if your appeal is rejected then you'll have to pay over £100 rather than £50 or lower
Original post by Taiko

Original post by Taiko
That driving away means they cannot issue a ticket. They can, they just have to do so under a different regulation.

really?

When do you think PCN's should be challenged?
Original post by Landie_Man
They werent having it

If you push hard enough they will have it. Half of the councils automatically reject most appeals; if you take it far enough, they'll drop it. Don't let the ****ers get away with it.
Original post by michael321

Original post by michael321
If you push hard enough they will have it. Half of the councils automatically reject most appeals; if you take it far enough, they'll drop it. Don't let the ****ers get away with it.

So if your persistent they'll drop it? When should one appeal and when should you not?
Lol all they parking attendants want to do is screw you over like the council, the council won't do anything as they are likely to loose money and the parking attendants want the money,
Lol, there is a lot of rubbish on here. As far as I am aware, driving away will do jack all if they've already took photos, and got your licence plate down. MOST Parking Attendants ARE lenient, and you don't know whether the guy was talking out of his **** about being "seconds out". Also, MOST city coucil parking enforcement offices wouldn't DARE put quotas on their staff, with PC etc etc.
Original post by scorpion95
Lol all they parking attendants want to do is screw you over like the council, the council won't do anything as they are likely to loose money and the parking attendants want the money,

... and what money is that? The parking attendants don't get commission you know?
Original post by linkdapink

Original post by linkdapink
... and what money is that? The parking attendants don't get commission you know?

Don't they??, if not then I reckon they get a bonus for getting the highest number of tickets handed out
Original post by scorpion95
Don't they??, if not then I reckon they get a bonus for getting the highest number of tickets handed out

Well it depends on what we're talking about here. Council - no way. That would just cause so much of an uproar, it would be ridiculous. Private - yes, and a lot.
Reply 59
Original post by Clip
Right, so essentially in your area, people have voluntarily created a "bye-law" whereby Parking Attendants can issue PCNs without having to be anywhere near your vehicle?

Fantastic precedent for the rest of the country.

The way to have dealt with that would have been to have waited for the postal PCN and paid the reduced amount, citing the apparently known factor of your local scrotes.

Instead, what has been created is an extra power for parking attendants who could now sit in a cafe, wait to see drivers jump out of their cars, and remotely log the PCNs without ever having to approach the vehicle.

They would still have to take the photos. What the other poster was saying is wrong.
If HAS to be placed on the car, the phone call thing is just incase it gets removed later.

Latest