The Student Room Group

Marks and Spencer Interview help - Role PLays

Hi everyone,

I have an interview soon and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on what to expect for the role play and what type of response they are looking for from the interviewee.

I have searched a lot on the forum but just wanted to be updated on the 'new' role plays which m&s are now using in interviews (as they are changed regularly).

From what I've heard so far, there is a role play regarding a 'missing cake delivery'. And you have to explain to the customer that it has gone missing etc.

Does anyone know what other role plays are currently being used? and what their feedback was? :smile:

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

LMAO! ROLL play! Lol. Dude, you just made my day and I haven't even read your thread, just the title.
Reply 2
Lol, silly me! i've just realised what i've done.
Original post by yukibaba
Lol, silly me! i've just realised what i've done.

'Tis cool. Ok, I will offer you some of my wisdom. Firstly research as much as you possibly can! Go through the M&S thread here and you will get all the info you require.

The role play I was given was the trousers. Where a daughter bought her Dad a pair of navy trousers but they didn't fit. He was quite adamant that he wanted those and not any other pair. The problem was that they had gone down in sale and she didn't have a receipt so it would have to be refunded at the sale price. All they want to see you do is be polite and offer as much information to the customer as possible. So, firstly, apologise then explain the returns policy. Then upsell, so offer alternative suggestions like a shirt instead or a different colour trouser. There is also a special offer, make sure you mention that as well as ringing around surrounding stores to see if they stock it. Other then that just be as helpful as possible. Don't worry too much. It is quite a relaxed interview. You are given props like what the special offer entails and what alternative products there are and you will have time to prepare.

I actually got the job so don't hesitate to ask any questions. Good luck.
Reply 4
thank you so much for your reply :smile: and congrats on getting the job!
Reply 5
anyone else please? :smile: I've looked at the m&s thread and not a lot of discussion has occurred on role plays :frown: i'm so nervous!
Like most people i had the missing cake roleplay, :smile:
Its pretty easy as they give you instructions and such and its done in a flash..

'SAY THAT YOU FOUND THE CAKE SOMEWHERE' because if u don't you make life soo much more complicated for you :biggrin:

Good luck :smile:

i got the job and been working there so far 2 weeks :biggrin: all good! :biggrin:
Original post by yukibaba
anyone else please? :smile: I've looked at the m&s thread and not a lot of discussion has occurred on role plays :frown: i'm so nervous!

I got the buffet at work role play. Don't recommend alcohol (not good for a lunchtime) or food that needs cooking (not enough time). Also make sure vegetarians are catered for - mine was a bit mean as there wasn't any veg food in the 'store'. I apologised and said I'd get onto Head Office about that.
Ok, I just want to be of help to anyone applying for, or wondering about the interview/roleplay process. I'm doing this because I was in that position a few days ago, and I read some of the threads on here and on other forums - no one seems to have posted anything about it in 2011.

First of all, I personally reckon that Marks and Spencer have the BEST online application process. I mean, they literally tell you if you're successful or not straight away, rather than waiting days/weeks/months, sometimes endlessly, for a reply.
- So basically, the only application consists of obviously entering your details as required -, you have to do a small quiz to see whether you're right for the M&S at first, but the questions are straightforward and not so hard. Then you proceed onto doing an assessment which is virtual-based. They give you different scenarios, and how you'd would be expected to react to them - giving you a multiple-choice answer selection.
- If I remember correctly, after you've completed the somewhat long assessment section, they tell you whether you've passed or not. If you have, then they give you selection of interview times available, to choose from!

Next, once you've reached the day of the interview make sure you've got all the required documents and etc needed for the day. All of that will be in an email they send you after you've secured an interview time! The interview process is as follows; at first, you will be given a scenario where a customer is in-need of assistance. They will read out the necessary information for you to understand this process - The Roleplay. They will then give you cards and information to form your response to this scenario. You'll be given about 5minutes to prepare, and then starts the roleplay.
- It is a good thing to remember how you are meant to deal with customer enquires. Remember these vital response methods: First of all apologise if something isn't as satisfactory, explain to they why that is, suggest alternatives, suggest calling local branches, mention that you'll take this matter seriously (if needed) and call Head Office, if customer is in a hurry and you will need time to gain information from local branches, ask customer to leave details so that you can get back to them!
- Be really nice, be confident (not too confident), make sure to ask questions to get an idea of what they're after or what the situation is, and make it seem like you're on their side by saying 'I understand' 'I see what you mean'. Be positive, be approachable, and always be structured in delivering the service - don't rush!

After that, you might/will have an short interview with a manager. In this part, you need to be confident and answer as best as you can to any questions asked. For instance, if they ask:
- Why do you want to work with M&S?
- A possible answer would be: It would be a great opportunity to work as part of one of the UK's leading Retail department stores, whilst gaining vital retail experience. I also respect that Marks and Spencer is an ethical company, for instance fair-trade, organics and free-range eggs being a part of your focus. I would be proud to work for a company that believes in these aspects.

Finally, if you have successfully completed both role-play and interview parts of the process, and you have been successful in securing a position, then they'll ask you to fill out some forms, and if they've got many vacancies, ask you to choose from a range of vacancies available.

That's all ! :smile:

I had my interview today, and I now have secured a position as Sales Advisor in the Menswear department in High Street Kensington - for a temporary Christmas role.

GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE APPLYING OR GOING TO AN INTERVIEW/ROLEPLAY PROCESS. I hope anything I have written above has been helpful! :wink:

Zamm'
Hi all,

I have an interview next week for a Section Manager role.

I have to complete a role play that is dealing with another member of staff. Has anyone got any pointers or can give me any more information on what to expect please?

Many thanks
I have an interview tomorrow and I know there will be a role play.

I spoke to someone I know who had an interview there previously and she said it was horrible, during the role play the interviewer was literally screaming in her face (being an angry customer). I'm now really worried about this, I'll be nervous enough without this :eek:

Has anyone else had this happen?

I have loads of customer service experience and where I work right now we do get the odd really angry (sometimes drunk....) customer and you have to remain calm. So I suppose I have experience in this. I just wish I knew what to expect from the role play so I can prepare!
(edited 10 years ago)
I was interviewed for the food hall and asked how I'd react if an irate customer threw an individual custard-sponge pudding at me. I said I wasn't the kind to be flustered by trifles.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I was interviewed for the food hall and asked how I'd react if an irate customer threw an individual custard-sponge pudding at me. I said I wasn't the kind to be flustered by trifles.

ha good response :smile:

I've had pasties thrown at me before! Just by irate customers unhappy that we don't keep them hot :rolleyes:
Hi all

I recently had an interview for a customer assistant role at M&S and was unsuccessful unfortunately so thought I would share my experience and how I could have improved so you can learn from my mistakes :smile:.

Like many of the people on this thread, I was e-mailed to tell me that I successfully completed the online application and booked an interview, and shortly after e-mailed again to say the interview would include a role play and competency interview.

This was my first interview so it was safe to say I was nervous but when signing in for my interview, everyone was really nice and welcoming. Mine was an individual interview (wasn't told this previously) so I just had the interviewer and a worker there who later acted as the customer in the role play - both were very nice and tried to make me feel less nervous.

ANYWAY, me and my assessor/interviewer went into a small room where she explained how the position open for customer assistant was in menswear (wasn't previously told this) so had the role play of a customer in the women's clothing department. Basically, the role play was...a woman had recently seen the suit she wanted but we (M&S) didn't have it in stock and I (being the customer assistant in this role play) has to assist her with her problem. I had 5 sheets of information, 2 of which she took away whilst I got to keep 3 (including promotional offers, status of stock and my notes. Soon after my 5 minutes of reading the sheets (where they stayed and just watched me taking notes which was a bit weird), the 'customer' acted as if she was browsing for a suit while the assessor assessing me. I did not do great as I a.) didn't definitely tell her it was out of stock even though it was b.) ask her opening questions like what colour was the suit? what size are you? to get a feel of what she wanted and c.) when looking at alternatives for her out of stock suit failed to note that the alternative WAS in stock as was confused by the next delivery being a week. I failed to mention that she could order it online and get it delivered next day as this is when she needed it by for an interview. They give you around 10 minutes for the role play then ask you to fill out a sheet with 3 questions - what did you think went well and why? what did you think went less well and why? and if given the chance again, what would you do differently? I was lead out of the room to wait, taken back in and told I had been unsuccessful but she gave me good advice and told me I could apply again in 6 months.

SO, I incorrectly read the vital facts that an alternative was in stock and failed to think it could be delivered to her next day as I was so nervous and didn't ask any opening questions to get a feel for what she wanted. I'm kicking myself whilst typing this as it all seems so very simple now, and the 'customer' was trying to give me hints, but my nerves got the better of my common sense!

Just remember - they're there, as interviewers, to make you feel at ease as they want you to get the job and will do everything they can to do this. If nervous, pretend your the customer coming in for a suit (or whatever your role play is) and think about what questions you would expect to be asked.

Hope you can learn from my mistakes and good luck! I really had nothing to be nervous about and nor should you :smile:
Noted. I've got an interview on Wednesday, I hope it goes well. :frown:
I did drama as a GCSE so hopefully that will come as a plus. Im not really good with one-to-ones..wish me luck
So I had the interview today. There was no role play which was kind of a bummer, I was practicing my role play all the way there so I probably looking like a complete fool. My interview actually was pretty long. Got there for 11, they started late because the person who was meant to be interviewed before me came late.

My interview process started with a little activity of where I was given some laminated cards with dates and food items on. The whole activity was based around placing the foods in the right columns. Took about 5 minutes then I got feedback from that.
After that I had a scenario test asking what I would do in certain situation. Following on from that I had a little tour of the warehouse and other parts of the store. I was then told to take a seat outside the interview room. I was outside for about 10 minutes before the manager came out and done another interview with me, it was really informal the woman just said that she just wanted to know a bit more about me as a person. Like 20 minutes, the woman came back and said that I got offered the job.

The part I liked the most was them moving me from a store op, to a customer assistant in the food hall. Store operations seems kinda boring any way. Plus I wasn't allowed on half the machinery because I wasn't of age. But yeah that was it really.

Apparently I'll get paid 6.67 an hour so that's good :smile:
basically i have got an interview with m&s on Wednesday, but about the role play do you get a script. I did drama for gcse but i don't know whether if that would help
Original post by LeeForShort
So I had the interview today. There was no role play which was kind of a bummer, I was practicing my role play all the way there so I probably looking like a complete fool. My interview actually was pretty long. Got there for 11, they started late because the person who was meant to be interviewed before me came late.

My interview process started with a little activity of where I was given some laminated cards with dates and food items on. The whole activity was based around placing the foods in the right columns. Took about 5 minutes then I got feedback from that.
After that I had a scenario test asking what I would do in certain situation. Following on from that I had a little tour of the warehouse and other parts of the store. I was then told to take a seat outside the interview room. I was outside for about 10 minutes before the manager came out and done another interview with me, it was really informal the woman just said that she just wanted to know a bit more about me as a person. Like 20 minutes, the woman came back and said that I got offered the job.

The part I liked the most was them moving me from a store op, to a customer assistant in the food hall. Store operations seems kinda boring any way. Plus I wasn't allowed on half the machinery because I wasn't of age. But yeah that was it really.

Apparently I'll get paid 6.67 an hour so that's good :smile:

Did you apply to a Simply Food branch?
Reply 18
Hi,

i have a interview with m&s do they ask you question about yourself for eg what have u been doing in the last 5 years? aswell as what makes a good team member??

The role play do u have to include all the props from the sheet of paper when you are dealing with the customer??
Reply 19
I dont think you get a script, its to see how well you communicate and correspond with the customer. Best of Luck

Quick Reply

Latest