Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am new at posting here but have read the forums for a while.

My situation is quite strange now and I need some advice and wasn't sure where exactly I could get some... Here goes

I have just finished the third year of a 3 yr degree in a London uni for which I received student finance for all three years as a home student. I was given the option to do an Erasmus exchange year as an extension of my degree for a fourth year and agreed to do so, going to a university abroad.

I applied for student finance a bit late (late July) as I wasn't aware that I was entitled to it. I am also entitled to an Erasmus grant which will be arriving at some point in October. Given that I had to add a year that wasn't there already, it has taken a little longer than these things normally took in previous years.

Term time in my abroad university starts in early October, I think on the 4th. So due to my stupidity/bad luck I have currently no money to fly out there or get accomodation, something that was unforeseen because I had to give a large amount of money to a relative (my parents) in need. I have also borrowed money from all my friends and have stretched their hospitality so cannot really see that as a way out.

So I have no idea what to do now. My student finance app. was finally officially received on the 18th after quite a few delays and is now being processed so we could be looking at a good 3 weeks until the money is through.... unless I am mistaken?

and I am not sure the European Erasmus grant will be released unless my attendance is confirmed abroad as that money is controlled by my home university in the UK.

In addition to this I could not work for the money as I had a resit (which I passed succesfully) to study for. Should I call my home university and explain to them the situation? Should I email my abroad university and buy some time while I wait for the loan. Any ideas would be valuable. TY

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.