Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do universities determine what offer to dish out. For example, I want to apply to read History at Manchester, but their website states AAA-AAB. How can I judge what, if any, offer is made? Can someone shed some light please.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades
    Personal statement
    Maybe AS grades
    Other things you may be doing (like Extended project)
    ...The better these things are, the more likely it is the offer will be lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srascal8)
    How can I judge what, if any, offer is made?
    You don't do that; the university does. If you expect any offer to be at the top of the range you won't go far wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I think it means that the Uni prefers AAA but if there are not enough applicants with AAA then they will lower their grade boundaries to AAB so I would say aim for 3As to be safe

ReputationRep:
    I've been told (and I'm not certain) that it can depend on the subjects you're taking. For example, more difficult subject combinations might require lower grades. I might be wrong though, I can't remember where I've heard it, and I too find it quite confusing when entry requirements are a range of grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nju)
    I think it means that the Uni prefers AAA but if there are not enough applicants with AAA then they will lower their grade boundaries to AAB so I would say aim for 3As to be safe
    No. The lower offers, if any, tend to be given to candidates who come from poorly-performing schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    I've been told (and I'm not certain) that it can depend on the subjects you're taking. For example, more difficult subject combinations might require lower grades. I might be wrong though, I can't remember where I've heard it, and I too find it quite confusing when entry requirements are a range of grades.
    Hmm, think it could be a factor. It's just quite annoying that they put that, a definitive entry requirement would be much better. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srascal8)
    Hmm, think it could be a factor. It's just quite annoying that they put that, a definitive entry requirement would be much better. :rolleyes:
    I agree, it's annoying. Reading through this thread I get the impression they don't tend to give out the lower offers, which worries me slightly as I was kind of relying on the lower end of an offer as an insurance choice. Hmmmm...

ReputationRep:
    Assume they will give you a higher offer. I applied to a uni the first time I applied, which said its entry requirements were BBB, but they gave me a points offer equivalent to AAB (and did the same to most other people, maybe they just had a really good set of applicants that year or something).

But it's only a rough guide, and they can actually offer you anything they want to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm gonna email Manchester, for example Newcastle said they expect to hand out AAA offers for History but with and EPQ, wider reading, personal statement, good reference, they will hand out some AAB offers.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.