Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For Law. I'm just wondering what you think my chances are? I'm predicted A* A* A/A*(this grade is yet to be confirmed) at A2, at AS I got 3A's and a C (the C was an anomalous mark which I realise may go against me but I'm resitting exam because of it). At GCSE I got 5A*'s, 3A's 2B's and a C but I had to teach myself my science syllabuses due to personal illness of which Oxford will be aware. So yeah, I'm just wondering what you think my chances are and if it's worth it? And if you've been through the process advice for the LNAT and general. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    No one can really tell you whether it's worth it; that depends on so many factors, not just about your application but about who else is applying and so on - and including how much it means to you personally. Oxford will take everything into account including extenuating circumstances mentioned in your reference, school performance etc. I wouldn't worry too much about the C at AS, though obviously a lot of candidates will have 4 (or more!) As. AAA tends to show you would be able to meet the offer and when it comes down to it, that's the minimum requirement.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're going to find the course very difficult.

Your inability to find the correct place for this question (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1760892) suggests you may struggle with the extensive reading lists that the Oxford Law Faculty will provide, and which you will have to trawl through to find the material you need to answer the essay question set on some obscure case.

I have no problem accepting the negs for how I phrased my point, but I think it is a valid point. I'm just tired of people continuously creating new threads asking if their grades are good enough, when there is already a clearly signposted thread.

It just clogs the board up, meaning other queries are less easy to find, and creates more work for the mods.

You are just as likely to be answered on the sticky thread as you are on creating your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poppyxx)
    I think you're going to find the course very difficult.

Your inability to find the correct place for this question (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1760892) suggests you may struggle with the extensive reading lists that the Oxford Law Faculty will provide, and which you will have to trawl through to find the material you need to answer the essay question set on some obscure case.
    I wanted responses specific to my circumstances but thanks for the link.

ReputationRep:
    As you have extenuating circumstances, I'd not dwell on those. Concentrate on making an excellent personal statement, and reading widely about Law, Jurisprudence, and perhaps some other branches of Philosophy. I don't know about the weight of LNAT at Oxford, or how it's marked, but I'm guessing if there's an essay section they'll be looking at that closely? Going into the interview, you may not be top of the tutors' list, but the interview is there for exactly that - to allow people whose paper records don't show the full picture of your potential to demonstrate their true aptitude in a tutorial environment, and to confirm those who do have excellent written applications as still excellent (or equally to debase them). Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Grades aren't everything, the admissions tests weigh much more than your as. at the end of the day if you make the cut off mark they only want 3 As. BTW they don't really trust predicted grades, specially the a*s. And what is this strange aura surrounding the people that reply to these posts that makes OPs believe such people have an oxford undergraduate radar that can predict who will get in?
    Plus, there's a huge luck involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogwartian1993)
    Yes, but if you post in the sticky thread you'll get responses specific to your circumstances.

As it is, it's worth an application, your grades are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Yes, but if you post in the sticky thread you'll get responses specific to your circumstances.

As it is, it's worth an application, your grades are fine.
    Didn't realise, sorry guys - new the the student room.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise, sorry guys - new the the student room.
    Don't apologize, they're being bullies.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's the point of the thread. You post your circumstances and people respond to them.

Independent thinking not your forte?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.