Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In scenes reminiscent of a teenage William Hague addressing the Conservative Party conference in Blackpool in 1977, the teenager excited delegates with an impassioned speech that had Ed Miliband jumping to his feet to shake his hand.

Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor, called the speech “brilliant”. As Rory walked off the stage to a standing ovation, delegates came up to shake his hand and give him a pat on the back. The schoolboy said he did not come from a political family.

He lives with his mother Elaine, 43, an administrator at a cleaning company, and sister Emma, eight, in Maidstone, Kent, and is studying A-levels in English literature, geography, politics and history at Oakwood Park Grammar.

His mother saw him speak at the conference in Liverpool. Rory said he had only joined Labour after the last general election.

He tried to play down comparisons with Mr Hague, who burst on to the political stage at 16 in front of the Tory party faithful, including Margaret Thatcher, who was then leader.

Rory said: “I think it is important to put youth issues on the agenda and try to highlight where this Government is going wrong.”

Asked if he wanted to be Prime Minister one day, Rory said: “I don’t know yet, I would not rule anything out but I just want to get my A-levels out of the way first.”

He also spoke in defence of the welfare state, recounting his own experience of seeing his family’s home in Chislehurst repossessed. His mother separated from his father, Jonathan, 53, not long after they were evicted in 2008.

“We had nothing, no money, no savings," he said. "I owe my entire well-being and that of my family to the welfare state, that very same welfare state that is being ruthlessly ripped apart.”

As a member of the party in Maidstone and the Weald, Rory was entitled to speak from the platform. He had prepared some words, in case he was asked to speak when he put his hand up.

In his impassioned speech, the chairman of Kent Young Labour said: “I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for that [welfare] system, that safety net. So I take this opportunity to plead with the Government to reconsider their measures.”

He said: “I ask David Cameron what does he think I should do when I can’t afford to get to school in the morning?

“What does he think I should do when I can’t buy the materials I need for school?”

He accused the Coalition of having “taken a bit of a dislike to young people” with cuts to student grants and increases to tuition fees. He said: “It’s fair to say this Tory-led Government is giving young people a pretty raw deal.”
    Source.

Melanie Phillips and Daily Mail criticism of Rory.

Thoughts?

The comment "I owe my entire well-being and that of my family to the welfare state, that very same welfare state that is being ruthlessly ripped apart" has been quite controversial.

ReputationRep:
    i think that quote sums up everything that is wrong with the party

ReputationRep:
    He obviously didn't realise that his party introduced tuition fees when they said they wouldn't and then trebled them....
    I thought Kent was a Labour free zone anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just like the Daily Mail to critisise young people. What a horrible newspaper.

Where did I put my "Hated by the Daily Mail" badge...?

ReputationRep:
    It may be a first but for once I agree with the daily mail. I don't like all this tory bashing, and I think it's counter productive. It's not like there are tories sat at home thinking "Mwahahahahaha now poor people won't be able to get to school!" *lightning strikes*... Politicians of all colours, in general, want to help the country and to help people.

ReputationRep:
    melanie is a *****. just sayin'

ReputationRep:
    That Daily Mail article has to be one of the most shocking pieces of journalism I've ever read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    That Daily Mail article has to be one of the most shocking pieces of journalism I've ever read.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Another schoolboy error from the Labour party.

Image 1 of 5. Miliband's expression is priceless. :rofl:

0:08/9 Classic Bieber rape face

P.S. Straighten your tie
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chav Princess)
    Source.

Thoughts?

The comment "I owe my entire well-being and that of my family to the welfare state, that very same welfare state that is being ruthlessly ripped apart" has been quite controversial.
    Small, annoying, delusional twerp wows equally delusional audience. Nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    I took those A-levels, but I've finished now

Edit: Labour are scum though.

ReputationRep:
    Source.

Thoughts?

This is just a random comment by my good self, but from what I saw it looked like a highly stage-managed thing. I saw a few speeches earlier today and a lot of what he said "(Insert here) by Ed Miliband" was repeated time and time again by him and Shadow Cabinet members.

His comment about EMA was quite wrong. How can you afford books and travel on that £30ish a week?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    It's not thoughtful or insightful at all, it's just a series of attacks on the guy. The journalist attacks almost every facet of him, and everything he said, and makes very sketchy links to blame what he's saying on the Labour party.

Her views are also abhorrent, this is my favourite quote:

In the real world, what that means (if true) is that his entire life has been spent as a kind of state serf, that he and his family are wholly lacking in independence, that their entire subsistence has been funded by the state.
    Lolwut, she's blaming these people for being poor and getting help from the state to survive. People need to survive, what would she do, leave them with out money, food, clothes, shelter etc? I hardly think people deserve to be called serfs for being poor and receiving benefits, some people actually do need the support to survive.

All in all, a shocking article.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that the Conservatives view Labour politicians and it's policies as just extremely misguided but when the Conservatives are in power the Left cry like little babies and won't let the Conservatives have their turn at improving our country?

For anyone who didn't watch Rory's little speech here is a quick summary:

WAAAAAAHH WAAHHHHH :cry: TORRIESSS WAAHHHHHH :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I read this in the Newspaper this morning. It's good to see young people getting involved in real politics. I don't know how he got it as I am a member of my local CLP and Young Labour and I got no support, correnspondence or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. A more engaging public speaker than Ed Miliband anyway.

"I owe my entire well-being and that of my family to the welfare state"

He seems to say that as if he thinks it is a good thing. I'd be bloody angry if I - or my parents - had to depend on state handouts.

He said: “I ask David Cameron what does he think I should do when I can’t afford to get to school in the morning?

Maidstone isn't a big place. Walk? Cycle? Anyway, don't local authorities provide transport for children who are outside a certain geographical area of their school?

Perhaps he should reflect on the advantages he gains by being in a state grammar school - something his party seeks to deprive the rest of the country of.

ReputationRep:
    So we've seen one of the shadow cabinet in 2030. Young people speaking at party conferences is a bit last century though.

Hopefully he won't be claiming in twenty years time to have drunk ten pints some evenings at 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    It's not thoughtful or insightful at all, it's just a series of attacks on the guy. The journalist attacks almost every facet of him, and everything he said, and makes very sketchy links to blame what he's saying on the Labour party.

Her views are also abhorrent, this is my favourite quote:

Lolwut, she's blaming these people for being poor and getting help from the state to survive. People need to survive, what would she do, leave them with out money, food, clothes, shelter etc? I hardly think people deserve to be called serfs for being poor and receiving benefits, some people actually do need the support to survive.

All in all, a shocking article.
    Would you still be saying this if he was in his 30s and not 16?

ReputationRep:
    If this kid has any sense, he's going to leave the party very, very disillusioned in a few years when he (politically) matures and realises party politics is not compatible with idealism, and that the Labour party he's talking about certainly isn't the one which is being lead by Ed Miliband and the rest of these neo-liberal clowns.

ReputationRep:
    never ever ever ever thought I'd agree with the daily mail....but it seems I do this time.....

may it be the last

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.