Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If this has been done before apologies! Please point me in the direction of the thread

When researching about the Big Bang a few years ago I started to think about existence of ‘nothing’. As stated in the BB theory the universe appeared from nothing. BOOM, some intense heat, and forces such as gravity appeared. Years later (apparently 13.7 billion but how they figured that out I’ll never know) planets formed and through evolution we arrived in all our glory. But how did it start? Even religious people who can vouch our personal existence on the hand of God are lost when asked ‘Where did God come from?’ He/She/It came from somewhere, or should I say nowhere. But people, like myself cannot seem to comprehend the idea of ‘nothing’. As after all once you start thinking about nothing, it becomes something. We humans have a strangely strong desire to name everything. It makes logical sense as one cannot talk about the existence of an unnamed entity, or ‘thing’. We would forever be explaining long drawn out descriptions if everything was nameless. But why can’t we accept the existence of ‘nothing’. The existence of the nameless.

If you believe in the Big Bang you will be fully aware that the universe is constantly expanding. I was talking to a friend about this and asked her
    ‘What is it expanding into?’
    Her immediate response was ‘space’.
    ‘Define space’ I said.
    And she came out with the typical ‘black’ never-ending’ etc.
    I simply replied ‘I believe it is expanding into ‘nothing’.

A few hours later she returned after speaking to her boyfriend and said ‘But ‘nothing’ can’t exist, it must be something’.

Proving that people cannot begin to understand our universe. I believe in the existence of nothing but cannot begin to explain it to people. When I asked a science teacher the same original question; ‘What is the universe expanding into?’ He said that he personally believes ‘space’ is like an optical illusion. Intertwining and never ending. But was stumped when I asked ‘What lies outside of the illusion?.

Another friend managed to interpret my meaning and cleverly said ‘It’s like a box Imagine space as a box, what lies outside of the box?’ That’s what I want to know.

TL;DR- Why can't we comprhend the existance of 'nothing'? Why must it become 'something'?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think the reason why we can't comprehend "nothing" is like you said before: as humans we have a tendency to name everything, and by naming things we are naming something, which can't be nothing.

Personally I believe that nothing is too complicated for us mere mortals to comprehend, or begin to understand, because of our tendency to name everything and think of everything as existing.

ReputationRep:
    i love these sort of debates :P i think space is never ending and has always been there and always will be there. When people talk about what is space expanding in to doesnt make much sense to me, what is different to the space that space is expanding into and the space that surrounds us and what our universe is in? I hope that makes sense and im getting my point across

ReputationRep:
    They think that there's a higgs field that permeates everything, allowing there to be truly nothing. This is what would give things mass. For this to exist, the higgs boson (or the "god particle") would have to exist, though.

I don't think there can be such a thing as nothing. Even in a vacuum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dezzer)
    i love these sort of debates :P i think space is never ending and has always been there and always will be there. When people talk about what is space expanding in to doesnt make much sense to me, what is different to the space that space is expanding into and the space that surrounds us and what our universe is in? I hope that makes sense and im getting my point across
    Haha it's difficult to explain isnt it!

I guess we just find the idea of infinity impossible in itself. So the concept of infinite 'nothingness' is mind blowing. I always imagine white or black. But again that makes it something...!

ReputationRep:
    As I recall, the first chapter or two of 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' addresses basically what you're asking, so if you have that anywhere nearby, take a look.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    nothing

ReputationRep:
    i dont think there is any such thing as nothing. if something (eg a space rock or something ) was to drift over the barrier of where space 'ends', would that something not be able to get past that barrier?

ReputationRep:
    Can an atom/cell be magnified to complete nothingness?
    What if the answer is no, what if the 0.000000000000000000000000000000 000001g cells has another million cells inside it then the next has another billion and so on and so forth..

If that theory is correct, then who says it´s not the same for space? What if when we finally reach the end of our universe there is another, then another, then another..

If there was more than one universe does that not completely eradicate the theory of a Big Bang?
    But then we must ask what made the infinite amount of universes?

Space is a never ending paradox which I doubt the human race will ever fully understand.

ReputationRep:
    You can't control something that doesn't exist. And we have to control everything, hence there must be something there that we can eventually understand & exploit for our gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    As I recall, the first chapter or two of 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' addresses basically what you're asking, so if you have that anywhere nearby, take a look.
    Thanks will check it out

ReputationRep:
    this is why I dropped philosophy like a hot potato. what good is it doing anybody to sit around pondering bull**** questions like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88)
    this is why I dropped philosophy like a hot potato. what good is it doing anybody to sit around pondering bull**** questions like this?
    Its interesting. I will never see how it does people good to worry about their own mundane lives when there is fascinating stuff like 'nothing' to ponder over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Its interesting. I will never see how it does people good to worry about their own mundane lives when there is fascinating stuff like 'nothing' to ponder over
    but there's plenty of fascinating stuff in the real world to ponder that might actually be worth figuring out.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a bull**** question, but it is arguably of little relevance to everyday life. Questions like "How do we acquire knowledge" and "how ought we do live?", however, are of immense relevance to everyday life. Philosophy isn't about sitting around thinking about the concept of nothingness; it's about attempting to answer the questions that underly everything else we think we know, and becoming a becoming a happier and more rational person as a result.

As for the question: we certainly cannot posess a concept of nothing. A concept is 'of' the understanding it embodies; 'nothing' is not an entity, so to understand nothing is not to have understanding at all. We can understand absence, then, by subtracting from the concept of any given entity, but not 'nothing'.

To ask whether a concept corresponds to 'nothing' is to ask a meaningless question, as the object of the sentence is a word that does not refer to a concept. It's rather like asking whether we can have a concept corresponding to 'wibble'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobW)
    I
    As for the question: we certainly cannot posess a concept of nothing. A concept is 'of' the understanding it embodies; 'nothing' is not an entity, so to understand nothing is not to have understanding at all. We can understand absence, then, by subtracting from the concept of any given entity, but not 'nothing'.

To ask whether a concept corresponds to 'nothing' is to ask a meaningless question, as the object of the sentence is a word that does not refer to a concept. It's rather like asking whether we can have a concept corresponding to 'wibble'.
    Its only meaningless because you and others don't or won't understand it. It is entirely meaningful if you really think about it.

Your statements simply prove that we as a species cannot understand 'nothing' because we have to have 'something'

Ok rather than using the word 'nothing' as you rightly said it isn't really an entity let's use the word 'wibble'. 'Wibble' lies outside of our minds. The universe (I believe) is expanding into wibble. Therefore what is wibble?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Rowan Atkinson. I love you.

ReputationRep:
    If this has been done before apologies! Please point me in the direction of the thread
    Which one?

Anyway, 'nothing' doesn't denote a concept.

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    You dropped philosophy because somebody posted something totally un-philosophical on the philosophy section of TSR?

Doesn't seem like a very good reason, if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User722716)
    You dropped philosophy because somebody posted something totally un-philosophical on the philosophy section of TSR?

Doesn't seem like a very good reason, if I'm honest.
    Sorry. Which forum would you suggest?

As for 'nothing' doesn't denote a concept. Please elaborate, or suggest what you think lies outside the realm of our universe.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. Which forum would you suggest?

As for 'nothing' doesn't denote a concept. Please elaborate, or suggest what you think lies outside the realm of our universe.
    I don't know if there's a forum for this sort of stuff. Is there a cannabis forum perhaps?

It's simple - "outside the universe" just doesn't mean anything. It's like pondering whether colourless green ideas sleep furiously or not, just because you've put a bunch of words together in a grammatically correct order doesn't mean the result is meaningful.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.