Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

About a year ago I got an offer for a grad scheme at a consultancy firm. They told me if I did a year at a regional office I could move where I wanted after a year. However, I had a discussion with one of the managers today who backtracked a bit. Is there anything tactful I can do to get a move?

Has anyone had any experience of this? And should I maybe be looking for a different firm in a place I actually want to live? : )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As a consultant you'll be where the client is, so doesn't really matter where you're based. Expect to be out the office, and probably city, for 90% of the time anyways. I would be surprised if a year in you'd still want to move or even have the opportunity to move. It's not a situation where you just up and go there, there will have to be demand for you at the london office, if you don't know anyone (of use) in the london office then you'll have to wait a few years till you're at a point where you can start saying where you want to be.

But then again different firms have different practices.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they say I could move after a year if it was false though?

Its such a shame because I love the office but I've been placed in a city where I know absolutely nobody and the rest of the team are 25+ and have families etc. Gets a bit grim to have no social life

ReputationRep:
    What kind of consulting house are they? MBB? Big4?

ReputationRep:
    PWC
    edit: whats wrong with pwc?

ReputationRep:
    If your regional office is in Belfast then realistically you're probably not going to be able to move to London for a while. They're building up their practice there so you're going to have to get on some abroad projects to meet some managers from London (easiest way in my opinion) and then impress them enough to get them to staff you on more of their projects. Only after this would I say you have a credible chance of getting transferred.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha you got screwed!

The Big4 will tell you anything to get you in. The lied because they wanted to hire you, and it seems whoever was interviewing you was a dishonest person.

Belfast? You worked hard at University to live and work in Belfast? ololololol

ReputationRep:
    Says the guy that was asking about working in Jersey..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crustz)
    Says the guy that was asking about working in Jersey..
    then i got an AM offer in the City.

As if I would seriously work for the Big4 (apart from CF).

Life is never that bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])

Life is never that bad!
    Is your name Andrew?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mSet)
    Is your name Andrew?
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])

Life is never that bad!
    You're trying too hard at being a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Aside your discussion..

I wanted to ask if anyone knew how working at the London office (for the Big4) differs from working at a regional office (around London, e.g. St Albans)? I've talked to some of their people but only heard that working at a regional office means "working in London but not having to travel to central London every day". Not sure what this means and didn't realise to ask either.. .

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.