Turn on thread page Beta

can you use protein shakes as meal replacements and still gain muscle? watch

ReputationRep:
    i didnt think so but apparently according to this guy in my new uni class that you can, he said he uses usn hyperbolic mass gainer

I always assumed that you had to eat well with these supplements to gain muscle, hmm any views?

ReputationRep:
    eat

food

just

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jus2sik)
    i didnt think so but apparently according to this guy in my new uni class that you can, he said he uses usn hyperbolic mass gainer

I always assumed that you had to eat well with these supplements to gain muscle, hmm any views?
    Use them in addition to a protien packed, high calorie diet and you'll grow- provided you're not training like a douche of course.

You don't have to use them, tbh I only do for convienience (only so many tubs of chicken you can carry round before people start talking after all...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    eat

food

just
    that wasnt very helpfuk

ReputationRep:
    Better to just eat a reasonable diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jus2sik)

**** the hyperbolic mass gainer. What you need is myprotein the unflavoured and unbranded stuff.

Also

EAT

EAT

EAT.

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no!!!!

Eat nutritious food instead. Those shakes are just expensive junk full of cheap carbs with loads of additives. You are much better off buying (free range organic) eggs and eating those instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lara37)
    No, no, no!!!!

Eat nutritious food instead. Those shakes are just expensive junk full of cheap carbs with loads of additives. You are much better off buying (free range organic) eggs and eating those instead.
    and drinking milk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    **** the hyperbolic mass gainer. What you need is myprotein the unflavoured and unbranded stuff.

Also

EAT

EAT

EAT.
    I heard myprotein unflavoured whey protein tastes disgusting. Never bought the unflavoured version (I buy flavoured) so was just wondering how it tastes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I heard myprotein unflavoured whey protein tastes disgusting. Never bought the unflavoured version (I buy flavoured) so was just wondering how it tastes.
    It tastes terrible but it is cheaper so I just take it. You get use to it after a while.

ReputationRep:
    Guys!!! Why would you want to eat (or rather drink) this rubbish ? This stuff is designed to attract bodybuilders, really it's a con you don't need all this extra protein anyway. In the western world it is REALLY hard to lack protein. You can get your whole body requirement by eating 6 slices of bread a day.

ReputationRep:
    Guys!!! Why would you want to eat (or rather drink) this rubbish ? This stuff is designed to attract bodybuilders, really it's a con you don't need all this extra protein anyway. In the western world it is REALLY hard to lack protein. You can get your whole body requirement by eating 6 slices of bread a day.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're clearly very clued up on sports nutrition aren't you? :rolleyes:

RDA's are bull for a wide variety of reasons (google will tell you if you're interested) for the general population let alone people who train.

A simple whey protein shake is a great way to boost your protein intake cheaply and convieniently.

Unfortunatly in order to adequatly recover from training you need a lot of protein and one way to get this is the aforementioned shakes.

Of course, real food is better but if you lack the funds/carrying capacity when at work whey protein is a great second best.

ReputationRep:
    wow, you really dont know what you are talking about do you? :rolleyes:

this is the bread i eat

it has 3.5g of protein per slice

3.5*6=21

the average female should be having (i think) 45g a day

so 6 slices of bread doesnt even get the average female half of what she needs daily

i body build so am aiming for 100-150g per day

so as you can see your 6 slices of bread theory is bull ****!

ReputationRep:

Post: Antagonistic, controversial, trying to gain negative reaction

Verdict: :troll:

ReputationRep:
    Gosh... I bow to your greater knowledge.

But seriously, those protein shakes are not the answer. You really can get enough protein from your diet, much, much more healthily. And don't get me started on 'energy drinks' sugar and water marketed to seem like a 'sports choice', what a con.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh... I bow to your greater knowledge.

But seriously, those protein shakes are not the answer. You really can get enough protein from your diet, much, much more healthily. And don't get me started on 'energy drinks' sugar and water marketed to seem like a 'sports choice', what a con.
    me and my OH usually get the euro shopper energy drinks, i see nothing wrong with them in moderation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    It's alright to be honest. It actually tastes great mixed with flavoured protein in a 1:1 ratio.

ReputationRep:
    me and my OH usually get the euro shopper energy drinks, i see nothing wrong with them in moderation

There is nothing wrong with them at all - it's just a waste of money for sugar and water. You could buy glucose and flavour it very cheaply. To be honest with you I resent the hype of 'sports fitness nutrition' myself.

ReputationRep:

There is nothing wrong with them at all - it's just a waste of money for sugar and water. You could buy glucose and flavour it very cheaply. To be honest with you I resent the hype of 'sports fitness nutrition' myself.
    for 35p?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.