Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone:

I am current an A Level student in the UK and have recently applied to Trinity College, Cambridge (Economics), and looking foward to applying to LSE (Economics). However, I am quite anxious as to the possibility of being offered a place to study at both Universities. Therefore I would like to ask for opinions from "TSR" community whether or not I do have a chance to compete with other formidable applicants.

During my IGCSE (CIE) years, I was a private candidate studying and mastering my skills in Singapore and took only seven subjects; this was because I was a latecomer. Subjects and results are as follows:

Accounting - A
    Biology - A*
    Chemistry A*
    Economics - A
    Mathematics - A*
    A-Mathematics - A*
    Physics - A*

And for my A-Levels, I my predicted grades are as follows:

Chemistry - A
    Economics - A*
    Futher Maths - A*
    Maths - A*
    Physics - A

I am rather worried for my IGCSE subjects are not as much as other usual applicants to the two Universities--they usually achieved like 9-11 IGCSEs. So, please opine

ReputationRep:
    good personal statement is more important once you have 5-6 a*s at gcse

ReputationRep:
    I would say you've got little to worry about, iGCSEs are harder than GCSEs, from what I've heard, and as long as you have 5A*, that's good enough for the Top 10 Universities, and your A-Level predictions look great!

ReputationRep:
    could you not get your reference to mention that you were unable to take more igcses, or whatever the exact reason was? to explain why.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure on this, but don't you need English at grade C minimum as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    I'm not too sure on this, but don't you need English at grade C minimum as well?
    I think this is true, or at least to hold an english qualification of some kind. This is neccessary for most, if not all courses at every university, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    I got 8.5 IELTS last month. Is this acceptable?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by springfield12)
    I got 8.5 IELTS last month. Is this acceptable?
    Check the requirements of the universities.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.