Ask if you need any help more than once
Give out dirty looks
Talk about other customers to other shop assistants infront of customers
aemilia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's worse when the security guard follows you around as if you're some kind of fug...
sassy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by aemilia)
it's worse when the security guard follows you around as if you're some kind of fug...
This has never happend to me but i would be annoyed if it did tbh.
Shockley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My local cornershop has this thing where they desperately try and flog out of date biscuits/readymeals etc every day, even after you politely refuse they will almost beg you, its pathetic. Honestly sometimes Im not in the mood and just want to tell them to eff off.
ZarZar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sassy123)
In some shops i get annoyed when?

Staff watch you
Stand right next to you
Tell you info you do not want to know
Are rude
Ask if you need any help more than once
Give out dirty looks
Talk about other customers to other shop assistants infront of customers
Argghhh!! I hate when they do those sorta things! I've been followed around a shop.......
myfavouritesong
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I went into Martin's once I was the only person in, I was about to pick up a Mars Bar or something when I heard the woman who worked there say to her collegue "I'll just go round the back cos thats where eveything gets nicked," implying I was going to steal from a newsagents. The cheek!
wesling123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It annoys me sometimes when guards are keeping an eye on me as if I'm gonna steal and also to assistants that refer me to some products that I won't buy -_-
yinsoen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
asking if you need a bag when its clear that you need one.
Jessticles
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in retail, can I just say that many of the times store assistants do this because they actually HAVE to? We regularly get graded on our "customer service", which happens to include things like recommending complimentary items, selling other items, as well as the obvious like checking the stock room, making sure they know what size they're buying, etc. In my store, if we get below 8/10 you get an official warning - and if you get 3 of those you can be fired. As a customer, I know this kind of thing CAN be irritating but as a worker I'm doing it simply to keep my job. I know I've become more considerate of shop assistants since I began working because you realise why they are doing what they do...

However, there are some things which are completely unacceptable (such as accusing a customer of theft), I would never do that, and there's also a time and a place for say, trying to sell other items. You can usually get a 'vibe' off a customer as to whether they're interested, and I'd never personally push things like that if the customer is clearly busy and in a rush, or just plainly not interested. I also hate shop assistants who are pushy. You can sell items without being overly pushy - and you don't hop on a customer the second they walk in. If they're still looking at something 10 minutes later, yeah maybe it's time to check and see if they're confused about sizes or need any other help.

(Original post by wesling123)
also to assistants that refer me to some products that I won't buy -_-
Again see above, you would be surprised how many people pick up 'extra' things though. In the space of a 4 hour shift, I personally sold 30 compact mirrors, 15 pairs of socks and those other miscellaneous things usually beside the cash desk that customers clearly didn't come in for. It's also usually just a point of conversation for me with customers, I tend to get bored and I don't like just sitting there asking them for money with no interaction whatsoever. However blankly trying to sell it for no reason irritates me too - I usually go off each individual customer, but if they're picking up something/looking at it, yes I will try to sell it to them - that is my job.

(Original post by yinsoen)
Again you'd be shocked how many people chose to leave out the bag - and we're also told to ask customers first if they need bags if we're running low on them and waiting on a delivery.

I know it can be annoying, but from the eyes of the shop assistants who are really just the same people as you guys and simply doing what they are told to do by their managers - have a little bit of consideration. In working in retail you really get treated like **** a lot of the time by people with some sort of superiority complex or need to, well, be a ****. A pleasant customer really, really makes my day and I am more than happy to go REALLY out of my way for those customers to get them what they need.

Again, I wonder how many of you have part time jobs. I would assume a lot? And in those jobs, there are things that you have to do, simply because it's your job, whether it be filling out a order, or checking to see if your table in the restaurant is okay for drinks? Shop assistants have the exact same things to do. We're all just trying to make a living - I know I'm only working in retail part time because I need the money to pay for university.
sassy123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by wesling123)
It annoys me sometimes when guards are keeping an eye on me as if I'm gonna steal and also to assistants that refer me to some products that I won't buy -_-
I have found in some shops mainly department stores some of the staff are very stuck-up becuase they work in a nice shop even small topshops staff can be very stuck up snd look at you like your dirt.

The worst is when staff take it the next step futher and mess about with clothes right by you and are clearly watching what you are doing.
sugar_and_spice
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jessticles)
I work in retail, can I just say that many of the times store assistants do this because they actually HAVE to? We regularly get graded on our "customer service", which happens to include things like recommending complimentary items, selling other items, as well as the obvious like checking the stock room, making sure they know what size they're buying, etc. In my store, if we get below 8/10 you get an official warning - and if you get 3 of those you can be fired. As a customer, I know this kind of thing CAN be irritating but as a worker I'm doing it simply to keep my job. I know I've become more considerate of shop assistants since I began working because you realise why they are doing what they do...

However, there are some things which are completely unacceptable (such as accusing a customer of theft), I would never do that, and there's also a time and a place for say, trying to sell other items. You can usually get a 'vibe' off a customer as to whether they're interested, and I'd never personally push things like that if the customer is clearly busy and in a rush, or just plainly not interested. I also hate shop assistants who are pushy. You can sell items without being overly pushy - and you don't hop on a customer the second they walk in. If they're still looking at something 10 minutes later, yeah maybe it's time to check and see if they're confused about sizes or need any other help.

Again see above, you would be surprised how many people pick up 'extra' things though. In the space of a 4 hour shift, I personally sold 30 compact mirrors, 15 pairs of socks and those other miscellaneous things usually beside the cash desk that customers clearly didn't come in for. It's also usually just a point of conversation for me with customers, I tend to get bored and I don't like just sitting there asking them for money with no interaction whatsoever. However blankly trying to sell it for no reason irritates me too - I usually go off each individual customer, but if they're picking up something/looking at it, yes I will try to sell it to them - that is my job.

Again you'd be shocked how many people chose to leave out the bag - and we're also told to ask customers first if they need bags if we're running low on them and waiting on a delivery.

I know it can be annoying, but from the eyes of the shop assistants who are really just the same people as you guys and simply doing what they are told to do by their managers - have a little bit of consideration. In working in retail you really get treated like **** a lot of the time by people with some sort of superiority complex or need to, well, be a ****. A pleasant customer really, really makes my day and I am more than happy to go REALLY out of my way for those customers to get them what they need.

Again, I wonder how many of you have part time jobs. I would assume a lot? And in those jobs, there are things that you have to do, simply because it's your job, whether it be filling out a order, or checking to see if your table in the restaurant is okay for drinks? Shop assistants have the exact same things to do. We're all just trying to make a living - I know I'm only working in retail part time because I need the money to pay for university.
:borat: Well said! I hated being asked constantly if I wanted to open store cards in every single shop I was in, but then when I started working in a shop you realise how much pressure sales assistants are under to open them and hit targets.

Maybe we should start the Annoying things customers do thread :cool: For example, ravaging through a huge sales rack at the same time saying "well they're just thrown all over the place, I can't find anything!" when you are standing with a huge rail right next to them and it is clear you are trying to sort out the mess people like them make :mad: Utter rage.
yinsoen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jessticles)

thanks for clearing that up, its always bugged me for years. i think i'm a considerate customers I always locate the barcode for the shop assistant & calculate how much its going to cost,getting my money out beforehand. so do you like chat to the customers or d'you find them annoying?
Jessticles
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sugar_and_spice)
:borat: Well said! I hated being asked constantly if I wanted to open store cards in every single shop I was in, but then when I started working in a shop you realise how much pressure sales assistants are under to open them and hit targets.

Maybe we should start the Annoying things customers do thread :cool: For example, ravaging through a huge sales rack at the same time saying "well they're just thrown all over the place, I can't find anything!" when you are standing with a huge rail right next to them and it is clear you are trying to sort out the mess people like them make :mad: Utter rage.
Well I think as you work in retail you get that eureka moment of realising why shop assistants do what they do haha. I'm sure people working in restaurants, in hotels/bars etc have the same moment!

I have to say, customers making a mess when I've just cleaned does slightly irritate me, but not that much, I have done it too myself. What bothers me more is things like throwing clothes ON TOP OF rail and over them. I mean, I have no problem taking back what you don't want, why just **** it over the top of a rail?

thanks for clearing that up, its always bugged me for years. i think i'm a considerate customers I always locate the barcode for the shop assistant & calculate how much its going to cost,getting my money out beforehand. so do you like chat to the customers or d'you find them annoying?
Oh it really doesn't bother me searching for barcodes or anything like that, it only takes me two seconds and I don't mind if it takes them a second to root for money etc.

I do like talking to customers I have to say, as long as they're reasonably polite to me I'm happy to do anything for them. (e.g.: I've carried peoples stuff around the store FOR them, I've taken things off mannequins (even though we're not supposed to...), I've upended the stock room for something they wanted, searched through the 4-floor high store for something they were looking for etc).

It really doesn't bother me to do anything like that - I see that as my job. What DOES bother me is things like this thread, people getting snarky or rude with me. I'm ultimately just doing my job. I'm not asking for you to lick my ass - but be civil to me and I am happy to do whatever you need in return.

I do quite like walking around with customers and helping them though. It's particularly satisfying if people ask you to help them pick clothes out and you end up finding people something they genuinely love - or at least they tell me they do haha, who knows maybe they return it an hour later! But although this is a part-time job and I couldn't do it for life, I don't understand people who genuinely hate being with customers. It makes it hell for both people!
deltabomber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can i just say....i love shop assistants. I went into greggs to get a sandwich and a drink which came to £1.89, i gave her a fiver and she gave me £3.11 change back AND MY FIVER!!! THE EXACT SAME ONE I GAVE HER!!!
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be fair, with the bags, I usually don't need one- lots of things will fit in my handbag, or I will have a shopping bag with me.
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Licking their fingertips to unravel a bag
Oswald Mosley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Female shop assistants annoy me for ... well ... being women. If a female shop assistant tries to serve me, I say " errr, shouldn't you be doing the washing up, or something? No wonder this country's going to the dogs ".
Schmucks
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a shop assistant, so really I should defend my kind. But no, i'm not going to. I'm going to join in with the general bashing of shop assistants as we are utterly useless. I'm prone to;

Daydreaming - So either stare at a customer or ignore those waiting to be served at the till.
Tripping people up - When I am adding stock or sweeping the floor, the latter being an extremely tough task to manage, but I somehow manage it anyway.
Stuttering - When saying stuff like 'Have a nice day', 'cause i'm new to work and i'm not cool enough to chat to the customers in a fluid manner, so don't talk to them much. But when I do, it's pathetic. It's nonsense. 'Have a nice bye.. wait, what?'. I'm such a douche.

Yeah, so basically if you get me as your shop assistant soon, i'm very bloody sorry, I think I suck too, 'kay?

(I'm also looking for a job in Nottingham so if anyone's hiring... )
Teao the Cat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Schmucks)
Stuttering - When saying stuff like 'Have a nice day', 'cause i'm new to work and i'm not cool enough to chat to the customers in a fluid manner, so don't talk to them much. But when I do, it's pathetic. It's nonsense. 'Have a nice bye.. wait, what?'. I'm such a douche.
I once shouted '9.63 please!' down the line instead of 'next please'... I guess my mind was still on the last transaction!
Dannyboy11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Erm well no because a lot of people nowadays have their own "bag for life" bags that they keep on them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed