Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate some feedback on my uni choices. I'm applying for politics and sociology.

Predicted grades - AAA
    AS grades - BBBC (note: Bs were very high UMS scores and my teachers will mention it. I didn't succeed because I ended up distracted in the summer, but that's beside the point).
    GCSEs - BBBBBCCCC

Sheffield - AAB
    York - AAB (social and political sciences)
    Exeter - ABB - BBB
    Leeds - ABB
    Aberdeen - BBB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dippy Dip)
    Would appreciate some feedback on my uni choices. I'm applying for politics and sociology.

Predicted grades - AAA
    AS grades - BBBC (note: Bs were very high UMS scores and my teachers will mention it. I didn't succeed because I ended up distracted in the summer, but that's beside the point).
    GCSEs - BBBBBCCCC

Sheffield - AAB
    Exeter - ABB - BBB
    Leeds - ABB
    Aberdeen - BBB
    Yeah they sound about right.
    If they are all universities that you would be happy to go to, then go for it

ReputationRep:

Predicted grades - AAA
    GCSEs - BBBBBCCCC

Sheffield - AAB
    Exeter - ABB - BBB
    Leeds - ABB
    Aberdeen - BBB
    They look like a good spread. You're being quite cautious, if you wanted, you could have an AAA choice or two in there ... but entry requirements don't dictate where you want to go to university, so if those are your favourite university go with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)
    Yeah they sound about right.
    If they are all universities that you would be happy to go to, then go for it
    Hmm, my UCAS tutor told me this earlier. Truth be told, I can't think of many uni's that offers AAA for politics and sociology. And the ones that do I'm reluctant to apply to because my GCSEs may hold me back. I'll do some research though.

I read earlier that exeter are keen on GCSE results. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, my UCAS tutor told me this earlier. Truth be told, I can't think of many uni's that offers AAA for politics and sociology. And the ones that do I'm reluctant to apply to because my GCSEs may hold me back. I'll do some research though.

I read earlier that exeter are keen on GCSE results. Is this true?
    Your GCSEs are fine. It would only be if you were applying for Med/Vet/Dentist/Law that your GCSEs would be a problem. Ignore everyone on TSR having 10A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    They look like a good spread. You're being quite cautious, if you wanted, you could have an AAA choice or two in there ... but entry requirements don't dictate where you want to go to university, so if those are your favourite university go with it.
    Not many AAA uni's offering pol/soc caught my attention. Durham's did, but even that's an ABB (though I'm sure it's equally competitive to get onto my programme as it is to get onto any other degree there). I'll do some looking around tonight and tomorrow, though I'm sure the ones that want AAA are all in London - and I'm not so keen living there.

(Original post by Jackasaurus Rex)
    Your GCSEs are fine. It would only be if you were applying for Med/Vet/Dentist/Law that your GCSEs would be a problem. Ignore everyone on TSR having 10A*s.
    I've always had this fear that my GCSEs would hold me back. They're the main reason I'm aiming lower than other AAA people. I dunno, I guess I just need to ignore them and be more ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I guess I just need to ignore them and be more ambitious.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Forget Durham. For whatever reason they don't actually offer politics and sociology now (which is strange as they used to do this). Their closest course is combined hons in social sciences, which exceeds my predictions (A*AA).

Bristol looks interesting enough, even if the general competition is intimidating. Even if I were to put it down I'm not sure on what to replace it with.

Aberdeen is a good insurance uni, but only that. I don't like how it's so out of the way and I only keep it because I know I'm likely to get a place.

Exeter is pretty much a dream uni. It must stay. Only drawback is their reported preference of people with As at GCSE.

Leeds, York and Sheffield are those three uni's that outweigh the forty other choices in every aspect. Their courses look really good, beautiful locations / campuses, and I've been contemplating York and Sheffield since last year.

Ugh, choosing only five choices is so difficult!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 29, 2011

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.