Best place/time to buy cheap train tickets? Watch

LouboutinLove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm going to visit my friend in London (from Chesterfield) on December 1st, a Thursday evening, and returning on the Sunday. Can anyone advise when it's best to buy cheap tickets (the earlier the better?) or any other websites I should know about except the trainline and national rail? Thanks!
Ferdinandfrog
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have just double checked and it doesn't seem like the advance singles have been released for your return date at the moment. There is nothing stopping you buying your outbound now while they are cheaper and then booking the return at a later date though.

The cheapest I can see for the rough time you want to travel 01/12/11 is £17.00 - you can get this on any of the following 13:59, 14:39 or 14:47. If you need to travel a little later there are advance singles for £20.00. Obviously if you have a railcard you may be able to save a further 34% on this ticket.

In regards to your query re a website to book through one that does not charge a fee would be better. You could use the operator direct or a third party site such as takethetrain.co.uk
ChapelTom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
NEVER and I repeat NEVER book with the trainline, they charge booking fees, which you won't get charged on TOC websites or even booking sites like Red Spotted Hanky. You can book any tickets from any operator, East Midlands Trains run the Midland Mainline at the moment, it may be worth seeing if they have a special deal on when you book, an example being East Coast gave 10% off online bookings.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the railways, I know a hell of a lot about fare avoidance which is lawful (different world from fare evasion!)
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you've got a railcard those prices posted above should be even cheaper. Book early is the best option, however you have to pay an admin charge and the difference in price (unless the ticket you want later is cheaper then you just pay the admin) for the new ticket. Assuming you buy the advance ticket of course.
DeutscheVolk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use the NationalRail website and you can't go wrong.
ChapelTom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
If you've got a railcard those prices posted above should be even cheaper. Book early is the best option, however you have to pay an admin charge and the difference in price (unless the ticket you want later is cheaper then you just pay the admin) for the new ticket. Assuming you buy the advance ticket of course.
Railcards are superb, my 16-25 railcard is probably my single best purchase of every year. I save literally hundreds.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChapelTom)

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about the railways, I know a hell of a lot about fare avoidance which is lawful (different world from fare evasion!)
Tips pls?
benlondon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a rail card if possible - for regular train journey users it saves you so much. I travel from Euston to Chester, Euston to Edinburgh and other long-distance journeys quite regularly (twice a week sometimes) and I save literally hundreds, if not thousands, annually.
The Real Quaid
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ChapelTom)
(Original post by No Future)
Tips pls?
Yeah :mob:
benlondon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, and book as far in advance as possible - I think it's about 12 weeks that they allow you to book up to - the earlier you book, the cheaper the fare, generally.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (217)
78.34%
No (60)
21.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed