Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    so yesterday i finally tracked down a ipod classic after looking in 2 towns and many shops argos didnt have them and tesco only stocked the crappy ones

bit of background info now ... my 2nd gen ipod nano died like a year+ ago and i never bothered to replace it. i dont know why i looked at the newer models and stuff but i just didnt wana fork out money for them

so i decided recently i was going to get a classic because i want to be able to have all of my music with me everywhere. i was sick of choosing with my nano. one of the sales assistants got really *****y with me and he was like oh the touch is better just the 8gb or the 32gb he was just trying to get a quick sale more money. sure it has more gadgets but i already have a samsung galaxy s 2 so i just wanted a ipod for music only...

so far its working like a dream no problems with it at all except for the back its weak gets marked so easily even though im taking care of it. i need to buy a protective cover if i can find it.

so my question is ( finally ) ... is there any chance i have wasted my money buying the 2009 ipod classic if they are bringing a newer model out in a few weeks ? ... or was i lucky to get one of the last decent ipods for music left before they kill them off ?

ReputationRep:
    If all you plan to use it for is music you haven't really wasted money.

The only time it matters if they release a new one is if it operates under iOS as older generation models don't receive all software updates (e.g. I have a first generation iPod touch and can't run iOS4 on it so some apps have vanished because they have forcefully updated to versions which no longer operate on iOS3...).

ReputationRep:
    I had an ipod classic and It probably would have been about 2009 when I got it, so it is likely the same one you have. It worked perfectly until about a week ago and I LOVED it, used it v. heavily, always carried it around and although it got a bit scratched up it could take it. I recently busted it (think it was due to a faulty speaker dock which dislodged something) and instead of "upgrading" to something fancier like ipod touch I got the exact same model again. I like to have all the storage space on it. So I think you made a decent choice :dance:

ReputationRep:
    My iPod Classic must be a 2009 model too, It is my second iPod, my first was a 3rd gen nano. Mine has both dents and scratches on the back from where I have abused it, I think the dents are from when it came into contact with a concrete bollard one time. I store all of my music and quite a few movies on there too, I even have the entire A-Team series.

To be honest I would have preferred an old iPod Video (5th gen).

ReputationRep:
    There are rumours that the classic is being killed off, but I doubt that. Unless they could make affordable, high capacity Touches, there's always going to be a place for the Classic in the MP3 player market. And if they do refresh it, odds are the changes will be minor, perhaps a higher capacity model (Or a move to Flash storage, but that's very unlikely) or a new OS. I wouldn't say you wasted your money at all [=

ReputationRep:
    They might up the hard drive capacity but that will be it.

Apple wants you to get the iPod touch so you'll spend money in the App store.

ReputationRep:
    If thats what you like then great.

I don't expect to ever see it updated now. I think it will be discontinued soon.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for posting. alot of what i read has kinda settled my brain now LoL i have no money left now but it was worth it cause im happy

ReputationRep:
    Ive got an 80GB classic and its been working for years, the only problem I sometimes get is that music gets transferred onto it twice randomly :confused: apart from that its great. Mines took a lot of damage but still works perfectly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott1541)
    My iPod Classic must be a 2009 model too, It is my second iPod, my first was a 3rd gen nano. Mine has both dents and scratches on the back from where I have abused it, I think the dents are from when it came into contact with a concrete bollard one time. I store all of my music and quite a few movies on there too, I even have the entire A-Team series.

To be honest I would have preferred an old iPod Video (5th gen).
    well im not impressed with the marks on the back after only 1 day of ownership i only like left it on my desk and then held it in my hand. no abuse at all

so i have a question now i just had a nano for music before ... so it might be silly but is there anyway i can get free movies/tvshows on it .. or do i need to pay like money on itunes for it.. i cant afford it anyway so its out

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypercaine.)
    Ive got an 80GB classic and its been working for years, the only problem I sometimes get is that music gets transferred onto it twice randomly :confused: apart from that its great. Mines took a lot of damage but still works perfectly!
    oh yeah that sounds annoying alright ... maybe just double check and untick ? i know myself i have like the studio version of some of my fav songs and then acoustic and live ones :rolleyes: i have enough space so why not LoL

mine actually froze on me for a while but i pressed the centre button and the menu for a while it was fine then. but i got a good few hours play out of it today with no problems. just need a cover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    There are rumours that the classic is being killed off, but I doubt that. Unless they could make affordable, high capacity Touches, there's always going to be a place for the Classic in the MP3 player market. And if they do refresh it, odds are the changes will be minor, perhaps a higher capacity model (Or a move to Flash storage, but that's very unlikely) or a new OS. I wouldn't say you wasted your money at all [=
    i hope they dont kill it off. it would be a shame like ... if they could make a affordable touch with the capacity it would be tempting ( sounds like there would be lots of problems too ) but when you have a smartphone and a laptop and a xbox 360, camcorder .. i dont think there is any point bit wasteful like .. sound like a spoilt child now haha

if they did update it though and there was a new OS i wouldnt be able to update it anymore if there was new software ? ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rescue Remedy)
    i hope they dont kill it off. it would be a shame like ... if they could make a affordable touch with the capacity it would be tempting ( sounds like there would be lots of problems too ) but when you have a smartphone and a laptop and a xbox 360, camcorder .. i dont think there is any point bit wasteful like .. sound like a spoilt child now haha

if they did update it though and there was a new OS i wouldnt be able to update it anymore if there was new software ? ...
    It would probably support a new OS provided the hardware changes this gen aren't radical, but there's no real proof that's going to happen anyway.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.