Turn on thread page Beta

Really pissed off by my lecturer today! watch

Announcements

It was my first day back at university today. I had my only lecture in a room full of about 150 people. About half way through it, I got my phone out and checked the time. Then suddenly the lecturer started shouting at me about how rude it was I had my phone out, pointed at me... girl at the very back to the left.

Really pissed me off because I wasn't creating a disturbance or anything.

Should I complain to him or just leave it?

ReputationRep:
    buy a watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It was my first day back at university today. I had my only lecture in a room full of about 150 people. About half way through it, I got my phone out and checked the time. Then suddenly the lecturer started shouting at me about how rude it was I had my phone out, pointed at me... girl at the very back to the left.

I find it incredible you would even think to complain to him.

As someone who has taught at a university before, this used to irritate me a lot.

No, you weren't creating a disturbance. But why were you checking the time, as opposed to engaging in the material and thinking about what was being said to you? Presumably, you're there to learn. That's why you go to lectures.

Think of checking your phone for the time as the equivalent of yawning in someone's face whilst they're in the middle of explaining something to you.

Perhaps others have a different POV regarding this, which is fair. But for YOU to complain to HIM...just displays a sense of entitlement you shouldn't really have,

ReputationRep:
    He was probably just having a bad day.

Students generally fail to grasp that adults too get in bad moods and will usually show their temper in a way which they can get away with.

(Original post by Sherkba)
    I find it incredible you would even think to complain to him.

As someone who has taught at a university before, this used to irritate me a lot.

No, you weren't creating a disturbance. But why were you checking the time, as opposed to engaging in the material and thinking about what was being said to you? Presumably, you're there to learn. That's why you go to lectures.

Think of checking your phone for the time as the equivalent of yawning in someone's face whilst they're in the middle of explaining something to you.

Perhaps others have a different POV regarding this, which is fair. But for YOU to complain to HIM...just displays a sense of entitlement you shouldn't really have,
    For all he knows I could have recieved a sensitive personal message. What a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think it's OK to **** around when they get to university? As they wouldn't dare do this to one of their secodary school teachers.

Just because the lecturer can't keep you afterwards for a detention, doesn't give a free pass to be incredibly rude. He still should be respected.

ReputationRep:
    For all he knows I could have recieved a sensitive personal message. What a ****.
    Why should he care, when there are 150 of you?

For all you know, he could have received some very bad/sad news that morning.

As silent chaos points out, why do students assume their lecturers are not human? And why do they assume they have the right to be treated with respect, when they don't respect their lecturers?

(Original post by navarre)
    Why do people think it's OK to **** around when they get to university? As they wouldn't dare do this to one of their secodary school teachers.

Just because the lecturer can't keep you afterwards for a detention, doesn't give a free pass to be incredibly rude. He still should be respected.
    I wasn't being rude at all. There was people in front of me talking & coughing causing disturbances but all I did was quickly look at my phone for the time because the class was running over.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't being rude at all. There was people in front of me talking & coughing causing disturbances but all I did was quickly look at my phone for the time because the class was running over.
    At least do it discreetly. What kind of idiot takes their phone out plainly in the lecturer's view and holds it up as if saying '**** you'.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you said you checked it half way through.

Regardless, it's rude and he probably happened to look up at the wrong moment to see you do it. It's like glancing at your watch while your talking to someone. Next time do it when his back is turned.

ReputationRep:
    Grow the **** up?

He probably thought you were just messing around on your phone which is a fair assumption to make when so many students do that. Given that, he's not going to be happy about it, is he? It's incredibly immature of you to think that you can complain about something like this.

ReputationRep:

Just speak to him, tell him you were actually only checking the time, he will no doubt get all offended but screw him he is the one being a jerk.

ReputationRep:
    i would just leave it, although he sounds like he was in the wrong, no need to act like that! I once forgot to put my phone on silent in a lecture and got a txt, which i got told off for by an angry lecturer. moments later her phone went off whilst talking to us!! that was soooo good, she just briefly apologised and carried on withot making a big deal out of it

ReputationRep:
    What will complaining achieve? Just try and be a bit more sneaky about it next time.

ReputationRep:
    So, let's reverse the roles here shall we.

You go to see him urgently to get clarification on something you have been studying.

Halfway though, he pulls out his mobile and ignores you, how would you feel...pissed I bet.

For the short amount of time you are in a lecture, try to absorb what is being said, without being distracted! !
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Which you wouldn;t even know about given you shouldnt have been checking your phone in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a watch, look at the clock or just dont bother. Its distracting and generally not needed.

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand why everyone is having such a go at you...
    Jeez.
    Yeah dont go and complain because its not a big problem, but you were only checking the time, it's not like you answered a phonecall (which I've watched people do in lectures before!)
    Dont do it again *slaps wrist*

ReputationRep:
    Why anonomous?
    If youre looking at the time, youre not concentrating on whats being taught.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.