Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    *Triggering for pet owners*

I guess this is part of the grieving process but I could do with some advice/just someones view on this...

-----

A month and a bit ago me and my bf bought a 3rd cat, a little cat...only a few months old. Really adorable and sweet, very scratchy when we got her but the other cats took a liking to her...

She was lovely, but was really shy and didn't play much with the other cats, yesterday my friend and I were getting ready to go out and the cat was under the stairs (where the cats play now and again). It just started having like a random seizure and started twisting and convulsing itself across the room, hitting itself off the walls really hard and was bleeding from its nose and mouth really bad and its breathing was really laboured..

We immediately took it to the vet, which put the cat on 'fluids' - was told to call back later for progress, we did call back and was told that the cat was in a bad position as it had blood in its lungs... but no signs of brain damage, heart problems all the usual checks etc, then we called back later and was told that the cat was a little bit better and moved around abit, that it needs to rest for a few days and have some cat medicine and to pick the cat up before they closed..

We picked the cat up, took it home, it looked really poorly so we put it in a separate comfy warmish room from everyone else put a little bit of food and water out for it and its litter bowl and made sure the cat was comfy and gently cleaned the dried blood off the cat.. the cat eyes were hardly open and its body kept slumping..

In the morning (today), the cat was struggling to move, like it was clawing the ground to try and move..and kept trying to move into the wall..

So we took it back to the vet this early morning and they checked it, and was told the cat was blind (it didn't respond to the tests the vet was doing), that it was nearly death (as in hearing) and that it was paralysed.. this upset me a great deal as I don't understand how everything got to this...one minute i'm being told my pet just needs a few days recovery and now this...seriously..

The amount of times i've cried today is ridiculous...

Finally we were advised to put the cat down as it was in alot of pain, had no sight, was paralysed and was nearly death..and with alot of pain we did go for the option as we believe the cat suffered a great deal from when it started having its seizure..

My question is: What could of caused it? I really just can't comprehend what happened, before the seizure the cat was chilling with the other cats in my room on the bed...

Me and my bf love our cats, always ensure that they are looked after and fed and are happy.. the previous owner said there was no previous problems she did say the cat was a little 'shy' which made me think possibly about previous owner abuse but thats another thing..

The vet initially said 'high temperature' but tbh it doesn't make sense at all...you don't just die of high temperature..surely?

I just feel so crappy and being told very little/these what it feels to be 'random reasons' in regards to my little cats death is upsetting me even more...

Any input would be appreciated a great deal...thankyou in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry as a fellow cat owner I know how it feels to lose one.

I don't really have any answers for what happened, only that I had a rabbit which suffered the same seizure sort of thing but without the blood. I know they're different species but perhaps it was related. We were told he'd had a 'massive neurological failure.' Maybe this is what happened? Things like that don't always need an external cause.

Hope you're okay

ReputationRep:
    Sucks...

Guess these things happen. It happens to humans as well. One minute you could be standing and the next you could be in hospital with a rare fatal disease you never knew you had. It's just the way it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - I hope everything will be alright.

R.I.P!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds horrible

Sorry, maybe you should get your other cats checked out and make sure they are ok! I feel really bad cuz I know how it feels to lose a pet, horrific!

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3Vans)

I guess this is part of the grieving process but I could do with some advice/just someones view on this...

-----

A month and a bit ago me and my bf bought a 3rd cat, a little cat...only a few months old. Really adorable and sweet, very scratchy when we got her but the other cats took a liking to her...

She was lovely, but was really shy and didn't play much with the other cats, yesterday my friend and I were getting ready to go out and the cat was under the stairs (where the cats play now and again). It just started having like a random seizure and started twisting and convulsing itself across the room, hitting itself off the walls really hard and was bleeding from its nose and mouth really bad and its breathing was really laboured..

We immediately took it to the vet, which put the cat on 'fluids' - was told to call back later for progress, we did call back and was told that the cat was in a bad position as it had blood in its lungs... but no signs of brain damage, heart problems all the usual checks etc, then we called back later and was told that the cat was a little bit better and moved around abit, that it needs to rest for a few days and have some cat medicine and to pick the cat up before they closed..

We picked the cat up, took it home, it looked really poorly so we put it in a separate comfy warmish room from everyone else put a little bit of food and water out for it and its litter bowl and made sure the cat was comfy and gently cleaned the dried blood off the cat.. the cat eyes were hardly open and its body kept slumping..

In the morning (today), the cat was struggling to move, like it was clawing the ground to try and move..and kept trying to move into the wall..

So we took it back to the vet this early morning and they checked it, and was told the cat was blind (it didn't respond to the tests the vet was doing), that it was nearly death (as in hearing) and that it was paralysed.. this upset me a great deal as I don't understand how everything got to this...one minute i'm being told my pet just needs a few days recovery and now this...seriously..

The amount of times i've cried today is ridiculous...

Finally we were advised to put the cat down as it was in alot of pain, had no sight, was paralysed and was nearly death..and with alot of pain we did go for the option as we believe the cat suffered a great deal from when it started having its seizure..

My question is: What could of caused it? I really just can't comprehend what happened, before the seizure the cat was chilling with the other cats in my room on the bed...

Me and my bf love our cats, always ensure that they are looked after and fed and are happy.. the previous owner said there was no previous problems she did say the cat was a little 'shy' which made me think possibly about previous owner abuse but thats another thing..

The vet initially said 'high temperature' but tbh it doesn't make sense at all...you don't just die of high temperature..surely?

I just feel so crappy and being told very little/these what it feels to be 'random reasons' in regards to my little cats death is upsetting me even more...

Any input would be appreciated a great deal...thankyou in advance.
    I'm very sorry to hear what both you and your poor cat have been through. But you did the right thing by taking the cat straight to the vet, and I think if I were in your position I would have had the cat put down too as it was the kindest thing to do.
    It may well have been something genetic. As a dog breeder myself I make sure my breeding dogs are tested before they are bred to avoid passing on genetic illnesses/conditions. So this could well have just been a case of bad breeding.

ReputationRep:
    A sustained high temperature is bad news for the body but what happened to your cat was dreadful, the poor little mite. You did the right thing by ending it's pain.

:sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShadowConspiracy)

Give it away?
    Did you have to? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Rip angel...=(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3Vans)

Causes : there is a long list of differentials for this sort of thing - seizures generally occur because of neurones firing off in sync in the brain, similar to that in human epilepsy, some people are just prone to it, and sometimes it doesnt manifest its self until a later age. Of course there are other things such a poisoning, head trauma, and ion imbalances. Though I'm sure the vets would have checked out these possible causes and told you if they suspected this.

A high temperature is probably not the main cause of death, but merely a sign of illness/ failure of body regulation showing that something is going seriously wrong somewhere.

sorry to hear of your loss, its always difficult when you lose an animal. Hope you are feeling a little better now. Putting her to sleep was the right decision though; from what you have said, there is no doubt about that/
    take care x

ReputationRep:
    as a cat owner myself i can truly understand the pain you're going through.

and i completely understand how this creeps up on you so fast, one minute theyre happy and playful, the next theyre sick and you're being advised to put them down.

my previous cat was 17 years old and growing old gracefully, had always been in my life. we took her to the vet for a check up, to be told she has chronic renal failure. two or so weeks later we come downstairs in the morning to find her lying on the floor, she couldn't walk, was lying in her own excrement and struggling to breath. it was so hard to get over the idea that she was taken away so soon.

it still is hard. i have a new cat, and he's amazing. he will never fill her place, but he has his own special place in my life.

believe me, it will get easier. pm me if you want to talk/cry/moan

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.