Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

So basically I have started a language course. It turns out that this first semester I take 4 and a half modules. Only 1 and a half is my actual language. The other three are top up modules in which I have little to no interest. In semester two this changes to, again 1 and half modules of language, a cultural module and ANOTHER top up module in a subject that is nothing to do with my own.

Basically I fear that the amount of language I will be able to practice will decrease greatly due to the amount of time and effort I will have to put into the other modules to at least pass them (though I would want to do well) and that also I won't learn that much at all language wise, which is why I picked this course.

I love the city I'm in and I like my room and don't miss home at all really. I get on with all my flatmates and the course mates I have met and feel pretty damned settled (also I am a mature student technically so I'm pretty okay about being away from my home town).

What can I do? Should I drop this course? Change it? Pursue the language separately after my degree?

Sorry for the text wall. Haha!

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are the top up modules? I would at least give it a try for a few months, and perhaps look up how much of the language you do in year two? I certainly wouldn't drop out in the first week.

ReputationRep:
    you could probably ask your course admin if theres any chance of switching to a more language focused course, if you don't want to do the other stuff

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your course leader / personal tutor / whoever they tell you to see about things and put the point across that the course is really not what you thought.
    If you are going to change course, the time is now, you cannot leave it until several weeks into the term without having to do some considerable catch up.

So research other courses you are interested in, pinpoint one in particular, and talk to someone about changing course ASAP.
    Or you could stick with it. Even if you are leaning with sticking with it, I'd definitely have a talk with your course leader or whatever about your concerns.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies!

There is the same amount of language modules in the second year also. There is a year abroad, which would be good obviously for the language but that is after two years of learning that I have to balance with more culture/random modules. There is no other course for me to switch too that is more language intensive. I may have to leave this course completely. I have no idea. I will rugby tackle my adviser tomorrow I think. But I hope that there is a solution. I have dropped out before and would not want to do so again.

ReputationRep:
    Often you will have more freedom to choose modules in later years, check it out. I understand, though. I originally applied for a language and absolutely didn't want to do pure literature, history etc.

You could self-study? You can do it now, why wait until after you graduate? You'd at least get the degree in the language to prove that you did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Often you will have more freedom to choose modules in later years, check it out. I understand, though. I originally applied for a language and absolutely didn't want to do pure literature, history etc.

You could self-study? You can do it now, why wait until after you graduate? You'd at least get the degree in the language to prove that you did it.
    But my point is I can't put as much time as I feel I need to/should to become fluent and still do well in the other modules which I need to pass my degree. I would love to do at least half language this year and next but that's not going to happen. Or at least have the optional modules be cultural ones that belong with/tie in with the degree in the first place. I am spending most of my time this year not studying the degree I actually applied for, or anything I can kind of apply to it.

But thanks for the response :-) I can see what you mean by it all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexaDark)
    But my point is I can't put as much time as I feel I need to/should to become fluent and still do well in the other modules which I need to pass my degree. I would love to do at least half language this year and next but that's not going to happen. Or at least have the optional modules be cultural ones that belong with/tie in with the degree in the first place. I am spending most of my time this year not studying the degree I actually applied for, or anything I can kind of apply to it.

But thanks for the response :-) I can see what you mean by it all!
    I think you would have enough time in comparison with someone studying a "true" language degree at some other universities. Contact hours for Arts don't tend to be very many. I study Linguistics (same school) and had 6 hours contact a week last year, for example.

But it sucks that you're not digging the course. I originally applied for German but I changed course before results day since I thought I could better apply what I learnt to my own language study instead of taking a little German language and a crapton of history, literature and optional modules.

What language are you "studying", my dear?

ReputationRep:
    Which uni are you at?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah which university is it? At Cardiff all Humanities students study 3 subjects in the first year, doing 40 credits in each. You could do one language and two non-language subjects if you wanted (most of us did at least two languages though). I wouldn't say that mine or my coursemates' language levels were affected by this so I wouldn't worry too much.

If you're really not happy though switching universities would always be an option.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I'm doing Japanese studies at Brookes. I just think I thought I would be able to focus more time actually doing what I wanted but it seems not. I want to learn the language but it seems like I would have to put that to the side to keep up with the work load, if you know what I mean, as it only counts for so much of the actual degree and I want to do well. I don't mind contact times so much it's just when I have more contact time with no actual language stuff that makes up more of my grade.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.