Turn on thread page Beta

Just going into tattoo shop and asking... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you read a previous post I made a while ago you will know I have been considering getting a tattoo. I know what I want and I know kind of where I want it. But I have never had one before and dunno know anything about tattoos and having only lived in Bridgend for a year I don't know where is reputable. I spoke to the only person I know who has a tattoo in Wales and she got it done in Swansea. I never go to Swansea despite living so close and don't really want to have to travel too far. There is a little tattoo shop in the centre of Bridgend. What I wanted to ask was a) has anyone been there or know someone who has been there and would you/they recommend it? and b) would I look weird/crazy if i just wandered in and asked for a bit of info?

I would ask stuff like:
    • Do I need an appointment?
    • Do I need a consultation?
    • How much is it likely to cost?
    • Are there any restrictions or regulations that I need to know about?

Do think these question are appropriate or are the just silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Hi, if you read a previous post I made a while ago you will know I have been considering getting a tattoo. I know what I want and I know kind of where I want it. But I have never had one before and dunno know anything about tattoos and having only lived in Bridgend for a year I don't know where is reputable. I spoke to the only person I know who has a tattoo in Wales and she got it done in Swansea. I never go to Swansea despite living so close and don't really want to have to travel too far. there is a little tattoo shop in the centre of Bridgend. What I wanted to ask was a) has anyone been there or know someone who has been there and would you/they recommend it? and b) would I look weird/crazy if i just wandered in and asked for a bit of info?

I would ask stuff like:

You're absolutely right to go in before you have it done and they are pretty standard questions

Why don't you see if they can sketch out the tattoo that you think you want, so that you know they are a) good at the art and b) know what it is you're after/ can help you etc.

Also, don't forget to check out their portfolio to make sure their work is GREAT. I've gone to have a tattoo so many times and always ended up deciding not to for one reason or another. Make sure you won't regret your decision

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to have something inked on you for the rest of your life then do you really want to compromise on quality for the sake of a train journey? I'm not saying it's bad (well...the gallery is average) but hoping for the best is about the worst thing you could do. And no, those questions aren't strange but you should ask them to more than one tattoo place.

ReputationRep:
    They are not silly questions but they are usually the same answers wherever you go.

For the two places I've been to, the first I had printed off inspiration, explained the idea, and sat for a few minutes while they drew it up, then tweaked as neccessary. They weren't busy, so I waited for about half an hour then got it done there and then.
    The second place I went to, I had the exact design printed out, gave it in, paid deposit and booked appointment.
    Cost will depend on the place, what the artist charges hourly (which should be advertised somewhere) and location on body and size of tattoo.
    Regulations - must be over 18, don't drink alcohol before, tell them of any allergies, have something to eat shortly before.

And sorry, I don't know anything about the particular shop but it's worth googling 'blahblah tattoo shop reviews'.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you read a previous post I made a while ago you will know I have been considering getting a tattoo. I know what I want and I know kind of where I want it. But I have never had one before and dunno know anything about tattoos and having only lived in Bridgend for a year I don't know where is reputable. I spoke to the only person I know who has a tattoo in Wales and she got it done in Swansea. I never go to Swansea despite living so close and don't really want to have to travel too far. There is a little tattoo shop in the centre of Bridgend. What I wanted to ask was a) has anyone been there or know someone who has been there and would you/they recommend it? and b) would I look weird/crazy if i just wandered in and asked for a bit of info?

I would ask stuff like:

They are appropriate for your first tattoo as you'd like to know exactly what's going on.

But, you will need an appointment,
    you probably will need a consultation to discuss what you want,
    depends on the studio

Also, i looked at that gallery and it's pretty sucky, you should definitely have a look about first and maybe considering travelling. I'm doing it for my next tattoo cause the shops around my area suck and I'm not settling for less than great.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at that portfolio, I wouldn't go near them. A good tattoo is worth traveling for. I can't believe some of the crap people are happy to have on their body forever.

ReputationRep:

I would ask stuff like:

DO TRAVEL to a really good one, that's all I can recommend. You have the stuff on you f o r e v e r !!

I went to one of the best and most known tattoo-shops in my country, they are kinda famous and even did some rock-stars, and I had to wait for more than half a year -but it's worth it !

And you do need an appointment, a consultation, and the price varies after size/time.

ReputationRep:

I would ask stuff like:

I'm not impressed with the work in their gallery tbh. But yes if you are thinking of getting a tattoo you should ask every question you have, there are no silly questions when you are about to let someone tattoo you. But you need to remember this is permanent and travelling a little furthur for a GOOD tattoo instead of an average tattoo shouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    The tattoos shown in the gallery for that place are not good at all.

Have a look at the link below to give you an idea of what good tattooing looks like, in the least patronising way. You may not like this particular style yourself, but it's well done.
    http://www.spearstudio.co.uk/leah.html

It's going to be worth travelling a little way to get something really good! But good tattoos aren't cheap. I think someone told me that the place in the link charges £80 per hour, plus a fixed cost. Price will always depend upon the design you have and how good the artist is though.

ReputationRep:
    The tattoos in that gallery are quite dreadful. :erm:

I know what I want & where but even I am thinking, double-thinking and triple-thinking about where I want it done. It's not a really complicated piece of art either but I'd be so pissed if they screwed it up. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    The tattoos shown in the gallery for that place are not good at all.

Have a look at the link below to give you an idea of what good tattooing looks like, in the least patronising way. You may not like this particular style yourself, but it's well done.
    http://www.spearstudio.co.uk/leah.html

It's going to be worth travelling a little way to get something really good! But good tattoos aren't cheap. I think someone told me that the place in the link charges £80 per hour, plus a fixed cost. Price will always depend upon the design you have and how good the artist is though.
    Wow, some of those are amazing. Beautifully done, obviously being a tattoo virgin I wouldn't really know what is well done and not, although my boyfriend has expressed that there is only one person he would go to and he costs a fortune, has a 3 month waiting list and you have to have consultation. The design I want is about as simple as you can get but cos it is special to me, I would be devastated if it wasn't right.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some of those are amazing. Beautifully done, obviously being a tattoo virgin I wouldn't really know what is well done and not, although my boyfriend has expressed that there is only one person he would go to and he costs a fortune, has a 3 month waiting list and you have to have consultation. The design I want is about as simple as you can get but cos it is special to me, I would be devastated if it wasn't right.
    Yeah, I think if you've never seen really good tattoos before then you tend to settle for mediocre stuff just because you aren't aware that anything better is out there yet! The guy your boyfriend suggested sounds like a good idea, he probably has a 3 month waiting list for a reason. Just make sure you get to see a portfolio so you can make your own mind up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    If you're going to have something inked on you for the rest of your life then do you really want to compromise on quality for the sake of a train journey? I'm not saying it's bad (well...the gallery is average) but hoping for the best is about the worst thing you could do. And no, those questions aren't strange but you should ask them to more than one tattoo place.
    Awwwwww hello cuty panda xxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Yeah, I think if you've never seen really good tattoos before then you tend to settle for mediocre stuff just because you aren't aware that anything better is out there yet! The guy your boyfriend suggested sounds like a good idea, he probably has a 3 month waiting list for a reason. Just make sure you get to see a portfolio so you can make your own mind up.
    He is in Plymouth, and specializes in Polynesian art which is what my boyfriend was considering for his sleeve but cos this guy is so good he charges about three times the price of anyone else and I really don't have that kind of money. There are a couple of places in Porthcawl so I will investigate there too.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.