Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone shed light on what jobs/industries I could enter with a 2:1 or above from a Russell Group uni in History. Could you list examples if possible?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What do you WANT to do?

ReputationRep:
    Teach, accountancy, teach, do a law conversion course, teach, apply for an HR/marketing graduate scheme or librarian. Alternatively, you can always teach.

ReputationRep:
    Teach

ReputationRep:
    You can enter into pretty much any job (excluding medicine etc) the most important thing is that you go to a good uni, as its more about where a degree is from rather than what it is.

Wow quite a few 'negs' :'( I'd rather you say why you disagree with this statement then neg and run

ReputationRep:
    Law conversion, investment banking, accountancy, further studies, teaching etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in university admin. Lots of my friends are teaching. One librarian, one in the Army, one researcher, one working for an MP, one museum curator. And a few more still studying for Masters, PhDs etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Teach, accountancy, teach, do a law conversion course, teach, apply for an HR/marketing graduate scheme or librarian. Alternatively, you can always teach.
    I'm strongly looking at a course at Manchester University - Modern History with Economics [BA], would I be able to still do law conversion/finance and apply to several graduate schemes with this degree at this Uni, is it a good uni for employment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ah.meh)
    You can enter into pretty much any job (excluding medicine etc) the most important thing if that you go to a good uni, as its more about where a degree is from rather than what it is.
    Would you regard Manchester as a good place to get a degree?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your replies guys! Much appreciated, I love history and I see it as a 'sitting on the fence' kind of degree, where I can do well 2:1 or higher, and still buy myself a bit of time and perhaps get some work experience in Manchester if I'm lucky to see what sort of professions would interest me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srascal8)
    Can anyone shed light on what jobs/industries I could enter with a 2:1 or above from a Russell Group uni in History. Could you list examples if possible?

Thanks.
    barrister, solicitor, accountant, auditor, management consultancy, police, teaching, research, journalism, writing (novels/ articles), IT (beleive it or not, IBM and other such companies have many non science and IT grads.), TV or Radio, banking, governement, policitcs ..... the list is profound

honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    barrister, solicitor, accountant, auditor, management consultancy, police, teaching, research, journalism, writing (novels/ articles), IT (beleive it or not, IBM and other such companies have many non science and IT grads.), TV or Radio, banking, governement, policitcs ..... the list is profound

honestly
    Thanks, I was wondering about IT; my uncle worked for SAP and is now at BP in a consultant role, and he studied History&Sociology at Reading in 1992. Would Manchester be a good university to enter high skilled jobs, like the ones you listed? Teaching is sort of my back up if all else fails, after going through school, I'm not sure I could handle teaching some types of pupils lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was wondering about IT; my uncle worked for SAP and is now at BP in a consultant role, and he studied History&Sociology at Reading in 1992. Would Manchester be a good university to enter high skilled jobs, like the ones you listed? Teaching is sort of my back up if all else fails, after going through school, I'm not sure I could handle teaching some types of pupils lol
    The University of Manchester is well respected... IT, Engineering and science careers are more than suitable for Manchester grads.... and any other degree for that.

The careers i have listed are not dependent on institution per se (btw not saying manchester is terrible), but the careers i have mentioned take a particular fancy to the likes of traditional academic subjects such as History, English, Law, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Classics, History of Art etc...

history, with a 2.1 complimented with the cloths of the university of manchester is nothing more than recognisable

honestly

ps, thats not to say you can just swan in those roles, they are competitive and the like of a barrister or investment banking, you need to love, live and sacrafice for those roles.

your education is fine, but employers can often tell when someone is disingenious about wanting a career in a particular field, you need to research, understand and respect that they are for people who actually WANT to do them.

work experience, blogs, careers fairs are all good places to start of from....
    as for teaching, granted many youth today may lack respect for teachers, but that is dependent on where you teach.(Public/ fee paying, independent, religous, degree level, international or one on one private tuition.)

ReputationRep:
    The University of Manchester is well respected... IT, Engineering and science careers are more than suitable for Manchester grads.... and any other degree for that.

The careers i have listed are not dependent on institution per se (btw not saying manchester is terrible), but the careers i have mentioned take a particular fancy to the likes of traditional academic subjects such as History, English, Law, Economics, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science, Classics, History of Art etc...

history, with a 2.1 complimented with the cloths of the university of manchester is nothing more than recognisable

honestly

ps, thats not to say you can just swan in those roles, they are competitive and the like of a barrister or investment banking, you need to love, live and sacrafice for those roles.

your education is fine, but employers can often tell when someone is disingenious about wanting a career in a particular field, you need to research, understand and respect that they are for people who actually WANT to do them.

work experience, blogs, careers fairs are all good places to start of from....
    as for teaching, granted many youth today may lack respect for teachers, but that is dependent on where you teach.(Public/ fee paying, independent, religous, degree level, international or one on one private tuition.)
    What did you mean? (stuff in bold) Does that mean Manchester is pretty average? I'm going to most probably do Modern History with Economics, surely that's respectable? And yeah, I'm going to try and get work experience and I doubt I will enter investment banking, I don't fit the mould for that lol...(see economics crisis)

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe no one has mentioned the Civil Service yet!

ReputationRep:
    What did you mean? (stuff in bold) Does that mean Manchester is pretty average? I'm going to most probably do Modern History with Economics, surely that's respectable? And yeah, I'm going to try and get work experience and I doubt I will enter investment banking, I don't fit the mould for that lol...(see economics crisis)
    sorry mistake, in other words, a history degree from manchester, with the classification of a 2.1 is really good.

honestly

ReputationRep:
    sorry mistake, in other words, a history degree from manchester, with the classification of a 2.1 is really good.

honestly
    Oh okay, no worries, got me worried for a second b/c you were contradicting yourself, thanks for your help 'honestly', really appreciate it, going to work hard for the ABB I need to get into Manchester, I've taken History and Economics and am predicted AAB so I'm very hopeful to get an offers, cheers!!

ReputationRep:
    You absolutely will not get into History teaching if it's something you see as a 'back up, if all else fails'. History is one of the most competitive subjects to get onto PGCE courses for :p: the only subjects I can think of that are noticeably harder to get into is PE, English and primary teaching.

Also, Manchester is an excellent university. It's one of the most popular universities in terms of applications for a good reason. Granted, it's not Oxbridge but it's a well respected institution and a good degree from there will stand you in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    You absolutely will not get into History teaching if it's something you see as a 'back up, if all else fails'. History is one of the most competitive subjects to get onto PGCE courses for :p: the only subjects I can think of that are noticeably harder to get into is PE, English and primary teaching.

Also, Manchester is an excellent university. It's one of the most popular universities in terms of applications for a good reason. Granted, it's not Oxbridge but it's a well respected institution and a good degree from there will stand you in good stead.
    Well, I never meant it as in, teaching is the stuff 'at the bottom of my shoe', but at this moment in time I can't perceive a career in teaching, however things may change, I'm sure I will have a better picture in 3 years when I hopefully enter my final year at Manchester, no offence intended to teachers/teaching people btw :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, no worries, got me worried for a second b/c you were contradicting yourself, thanks for your help 'honestly', really appreciate it, going to work hard for the ABB I need to get into Manchester, I've taken History and Economics and am predicted AAB so I'm very hopeful to get an offers, cheers!!
    cool. try hard to get AAB, never mind about the lower offer, you will have even stronger prospects with jobs with good A level grades...... AAB is fair.

honestly

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2011

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.