Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the south coast, and on a par with Athens this week.

ee-oop!
    Wear sun-glasses to avoid the dazzle of white skin!

ReputationRep:
    in late September i doubt it!

ReputationRep:
    Nice Was surprised at how warm it was here today, shame I'm gonna be stuck indoors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YorkieLad101)
    in late September i doubt it!
    Here's the BBC forecast for York!

ReputationRep:
    Benefits of sunlight.

I don't think the "feel good factor" is due to Vitamin D as the effect is almost immediate, and I don't get the same from eating food with Vit D. Gotta be some kind of effect on the light on the brain.

Sunlight entering the eyes stimulates the pineal gland in the brain, which is responsible for creating melatonin, the sleep hormone. The pineal gland regulates other hormones... can't remember which ones... i think human growth factor and possibly serotonin, which is a 'feel good' neurotransmitter. Sunlight also increases production of testosterone, which gives you more energy. This is why people who have seasonal affective disorder (SAD) find staring into a light box (device that shines bright light) helps to relieve their symptoms, as it probably stimulates the pineal gland in the same way as sunlight does.

Sick Building Syndrome
    is caused by lack of natural light and ventilation and causes the brain to recede into a depressive state

Old proverb:
    "Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun" (Ecc.11:7)

ReputationRep:
    Here's a bit of 90s Britpop (female) to help this thread along.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else NOT want a heatwave this week? Summer had it's chance and it let us down big time this year especially!

I'm so over it and can't wait to wrap up warm, see the autumn leaves drop and then go for walks in the snow and go home to a nice warm house with the fire burning away

ReputationRep:
    ... looks like you are alone.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.