Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Residents in the Surrey town of Staines are to be consulted on whether it should be given a new name.

Spelthorne Borough Council intends to ask locals whether the town should be renamed 'Staines-upon-Thames' to promote a more positive image.

The consultation will launch this Saturday (October 1) and runs until October 31.

Local councillors will then vote on the proposed name change at a meeting on December 15.

Councillor Colin David said: "Staines has been undersold for a very long time and that needs to change.

"I believe the name 'Staines-upon-Thames' more accurately reflects our riverside location and will improve people's perceptions of the town."

From Digital Spy
    so does anyone here live in Staines and also how would you feel if your town was having its name changed

ReputationRep:
    Right, it is next to a river. I'll give it that. However, it is a river that I, along with many other commuters, choose to walk across, helped in part by its layer of fag butts and pigeon crap.

ReputationRep:
    Ashford . . . Ashford-on-Stour . . . meh, no change.

I can kind of understand why Staines would want to change it's name, but I also feel like they're trying to get rid of history for the sake of appeasing some immature idiots. Staines is alright really, not much better or worse than anywhere else on the fringes of London - it could change it's reputation through governance rather than name changes

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else see the man with the funny moustache on BBC Breakfast this morning? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I have been to Staines en route to Thorpe Park, I thought them name was funny at first, but that lasted about 30 seconds.
    The town seemed nice. Don't know why they would need to change the name, lots of places have funny names.

ReputationRep:
    Staines is soooo dull! Nothing to do there.

ReputationRep:
    change the staines bit, the on thames bit isn't the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Ali G projected a rather shabby connotation....maybe this is why?

ReputationRep:
    Most of my family are from Staines, I've always found it to be quite a nice place.

Changing it to Staines-on-Thames in line with Richmond and Kingston is just an attempt to make it seem more upmarket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbk4894)
    so does anyone here live in Staines and also how would you feel if your town was having its name changed
    How would the changing of the name of a town effect anyone in a serious way, or even in anyway? Of all the issues facing people in this country, I hardly think that the changing of the name of a town is going to turn someone's world upside down.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be horrified if it changed to Staines-upon-Thames. It'll definetly devalue our upon-Thames aspect here in Kingston

Staines really doesn't seem that bad. However, there's just something that just doesn't sound right about Staines-upon-Thames.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotComBoom)
    I'd be horrified if it changed to Staines-upon-Thames. It'll definetly devalue our upon-Thames aspect here in Kingston
    Let's be honest, Kingston needs the upon-Thames bit to distance itself as much as possible from Kingston-upon-Hull

ReputationRep:
    Brown Staines-upon-Underpants would be more fitting.

ReputationRep:
    East side is the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbk4894)
    I was in Staines the other week, in a pub called the Town Hall. They had no beer. They advertised free wifi and the APN name was "f***ingc***b******"

Apart from that pub it seemed OK - it gets a bad rap from Ali G. There was an excellent kebab van in the high street.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's nice as it is. It's not like names reflect the place. Swan and sea, two positive and beautiful words, for example...

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't really fit on Ali's glasses would it:

ReputationRep:
    I think we all know Staines. It may be nice but at the end of the day , we will know "ooooh Staines on thames......that is just plain old Staines from before isn't it? :yawn:"

The aim is probably to make it sound more upmarket like Kingston upon Thames or Richmond upon Thames. I would sort of liken Staines to Kingston tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt make a difference to me, its just a name. Some of the best names are taken by the worst towns, cities and villages.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere being called Staines isn't as bad/inappropriately funny as somewhere being called Wetwang :teehee:

It's not like they're getting rid of the 'Staines' bit from the name anyway, so I don't think it'd change much tbh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.