Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just started uni, I've made a few friends on my course, and talked to a few different people, but theres one girl that's caught my eye. She seems kind of geeky, but she's really cute (and attractive), and totally my type (I'm a big geek, and kind of a bit shy). Only problem is (although this may be a good thing), she doesnt seem to know anyone yet, pretty much everytime I see her she is sitting on her own, and I havn't seen her talking to anyone, so I can tell that she is a very shy person. Would it be best to go up and introduce myself/talk to her? I don't want to scare her off because she does seem very shy, but on the other hand she might appreciate someone talking to her.

ReputationRep:
    Want my advice (from someone in a similar situation, unfortunately minus the girl )?

Go for it. What do you have to lose? Just act natural and nice.

ReputationRep:
    Try and find out common interests... you say she is quite geeky. So if she is reading a book then try and see if you have the same interests there.

My friend had a brilliant way of meeting new people at Uni. He would go around with a pack of custard creams and offer them out to strangers. Maybe try this approach? Just offer her a biscuit or something equally as random and it might spark off a conversation.

I think baby steps are needed with this. Don't go and introduce yourself straight off but start conversations with her over a week. Always leave her wanting more and gradually progress your friendship.

I wish you good luck!

ReputationRep:
    *writes down on shopping list Buy Custard Creams*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuin)
    *writes down on shopping list Buy Custard Creams*
    I know it sounds silly but I think it's quite a 'cute' way to do it... and just think, in 20 years time when you are happily married with 2 kids it would be a great story of how you met!

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if Jaffa Cakes would have the same effect? I spot a trial coming up!

ReputationRep:
    Aw that sounds so cute! She'd probably appreciate having a friend. Try to talk to her!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.