Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Like states of Cornwall, Yorkshire, Lancashire, East Anglia, etc.

Which can rule on certain matters, apart from things legislated (and binding) at a federal level.

So, for example - Lancashire could legalise gay marriage; whereas, Cornwall could not - thus giving people the option as to moving to a state where gay marriage is legal. The same goes for the drinking age, smoking bans, etc.

Or would this be unfair on residents currently living in the individual states? Or would they have no excuse, due to governance of the states being subject to elections and democracy?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with their own local government that have TOTAL control over that area. I think we should also have a Muslim state that allows Muslims to have Sharia Law in Britain and that'll make them happy whilst also keeping the EDL happy as the rest of Britain will be pro British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Yes, with their own local government that have TOTAL control over that area. I think we should also have a Muslim state that allows Muslims to have Sharia Law in Britain and that'll make them happy whilst also keeping the EDL happy as the rest of Britain will be pro British.
    What about the Muslims who don't want to live under Sharia Law?

ReputationRep:
    It would just make things terribly more complicated! Splitting things up doesn't really increase diversity, it just puts it in it's own little area, which then becomes more like segregation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Also, let's have a president instead of a priminister. And how about we put all the chavs and ethnic minorities in the south of England. We should also aim to have a gay-looking male teen who can sing well become really famous whilst also being unbelievably annoying at the same time. Instead of calling them universities let's call them colleges. And trousers should be called pants from now on and pants will be called underwear. Also let's not spell words with "ou" but rather shorten it to just an "o" like in colour, this is a good change from boring old English. Oh, how about we have 2 seperate crews rapping simultaneously but one of the crews be on the west of England and then the other on the East, we could call it East-coast rap and west-coast rap. OH YEAH, how about we get everyone to eat loads and be really obes-, wait we got that one covered already..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chav Princess)
    What about the Muslims who don't want to live under Sharia Law?
    They can stay in the other states obviously as long as they are peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah..and how about we drive on the right side of the road? And how about we reduce the quality of our education? And how about we start saying 'dude' and 'awesome' oh wait we already do!! And how about we start being racist?

Truly awful idea.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah nice idea that would give the Violent protestors from Edl or any "new" found group an easy place to strike wiping out anyone from a diversity that they didn't like.

Op .. I would say leave it as it is you are thinking ahead of your time in my opinion when there aren't enough resources to go around and people decide to split up. In this day and age it would never work due to the point I made to jb9.

Also with freedom of speech and freewill (or face value of freewill) this would be extremely hard to do and quite disgusting that you could have one area that could say kill all Gays which would stop some people from actually traveling throughout the country.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about actually making Britain a federation, but I think it could do with more uniform devolution. Making actual states within Britain would mean ending the concept of parliamentary sovereignity, so that's a pretty massive consitutional change. Dividing England up into devolved regions means you effectively have a federation, but there's always the option of undoing it if it doesn't work out. The main issue is how you divide England. Do you have an all England devolved assembly? Or you could split it into 3 (north, south, London) so no region of the UK has the majority of the population. Or you could try to make the populations of the regions more in line with the current devolved regions, and split England based on the voting regions for EU elections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smilingsam)
    Yeah nice idea.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    United Kingdom isn't big enough to be separated into smaller states in the first place. It only works in America due to its size. County Councils are fine for us.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for localism and devolution, but making each county a separate state is just calling for a big bureaucratic mess. Why not keep the infrastructure as we have now, more or less, and increase powers to more local levels and give them some financial accountability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astonix)
    United Kingdom isn't big enough to be separated into smaller states in the first place. It only works in America due to its size. County Councils are fine for us.
    There are countries smaller than the UK which are federations. E.g. Austria, Switzerland, Belgium.

Also the UK has a larger population than some of the federations which are large in terms of land area.

ReputationRep:
    india tried that with the formation of pakistan. we all know how well it gone!

ReputationRep:
    You're a limp-wristed coward - we shouldn't cede a single square inch of our soil to fascism.

ReputationRep:
    You have, of course, done nothing to explain why we would want to 'encourage diversity'.

ReputationRep:
    And what exactly does 'diversity' bring to us?

What benefits has it given us?

I'm struggling.

ReputationRep:
    We already have this; it's called Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    We already have this; it's called Bradford.
    The Emirate of Leicester
    The West Midlands Caliphate
    Finsbury Parkistan
    Twin Tower Hamlets

Take your pick . . .

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.