Turn on thread page Beta
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Good call or not? I think it's true!

ReputationRep:
    True.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of wrong move though? I've made loads of mistakes in life, my life's not over yet...

ReputationRep:
    Not true.

Life is all about making mistakes and wrong moves. It's all about learning from them and not making that same wrong move again until eventually you are the best chess player out there.

That is one of the aims of life, learn from your mistakes, become the best you can, win the game!

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like life is orderly when conversely it's chaotic. It may increase the chances of failing overall but doesn't declare it like a logic gate switch

ReputationRep:
    Once the queen leaves you are f*****

ReputationRep:
    life is more like snakes & ladders than chess... we have little control over the moves; in chess success is purely down to our ability

:bear:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all... unless your definition of a mistake is committing murder in a death penalty state, in which case yeah, your life is over. Anything less than that though and it's an opportunity to reflect, learn and try something else.

If you read the biographies of highly successful business people one of the recurring themes is that they were not afraid of making mistakes and in fact made a lot of them.

get your dits out.

ReputationRep:
    You made a spelling mistake on the title of a TSR thread

Your life is over...

ReputationRep:
    It is trivially obvious that you can make a number of wrong moves in Chess and still win unless your opponent is God.

ReputationRep:
    Er. If that 'wrong move' is stepping in front of a bus etc then yeah, sure. But nothing is 'over' until your life is, literally.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in front of the courts for a very serious offence and my life is far from over.

Wrong moves make right moves (as long as you learn from your mistakes)

ReputationRep:
    And of course in chess, it takes somebody else to exploit your mistakes before you're screwed.

There's probably some life lesson in there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Not really....

It takes several wrong moves in chess to finally destroy a game, and same with life. Even after many wrong moves its still often possible to salvage a situation. Everyone makes mistakes, its about the next moves you make which define you as a person. Some people give up, some people get up and see what they can do.

ReputationRep:
    there is no such thing as a 'perfect life'. Everybody faces problems, make errors and since they're mistakes they come with a price. However, that doesnt mean your life will be over, you just need to figure out how to turn the board around.

ReputationRep:
    Not true.

Chess is far to simple when compared to the complexities of life and however in both you can make mistakes and still come out ahead.

If you are going to compare life to a game I would suggest you try something along the liines of a civilization game, where you have to manage resources, form alliances, developed skills/technologies, make tactical and strategic decisions.

Raven.

ReputationRep:
    It does feel like that sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    No that's completely wrong and if you believe if you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself. In fact, in life there's too much choice of what you can do.

It is true that it's bloody hard to get promoted to a queen if you're a lowly pawn, mind, in this country anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.