Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so my best friend has changed an awful lot over the past couple of weeks. She's started going out drinking excessively, mixing with different people and has changed her attitude in general.

Me and another best friend were discussing it on Facebook chat. We didn't say anything really bad other than we think that she is just trying to look 'cool' by drinking a lot etc.

But to point, she has read my and my friends whole conversation as she has my password and obviously thought she had some right to go and read all my private messages!

She is now giving me the silent treatment, although hasn't confronted me about supposedly *****ing about her. (I know that she has read it as she had discussed it with someone else, and this person told me.)

Don't really know what to do, I cannot afford to lose her as a friend. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Your fault she has your password.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tintin and the Picaros)
    Your fault she has your password.
    Strangely enough I have her password too :confused:
    But I haven't gone and read her mail.

I do understand that it's my own fault that she know's my password. I haven't even bothered to change it as that'll show I am trying to hide something..

ReputationRep:
    Lol. This is a case for Jeremy Kyle. The man is right! Facebook is the root of all eeviilll!

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Change your password, don't you feel like your privacy has been breached? It's not about having something to hide, it's about her losing your trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhh123)
    I do understand that it's my own fault that she know's my password.
    How does she know your password?

ReputationRep:
    Moral of the story: Don't trust humans. Confide in your cat, it's less likely to stab you in the back. Though it may claw playfully at your face.

ReputationRep:

I do understand that it's my own fault that she know's my password. I haven't even bothered to change it as that'll show I am trying to hide something..
    people want 'the convenient truth'

but yes, your fault entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tintin and the Picaros)
    How does she know your password?
    Because my Facebook password is the same as all my other passwords. Including my college log in etc. So if she ever needs my college log in to get something of my username, she has my password.

Being close friends it's just something which I shared with her - with regret of course!

(Original post by balloon_parade)
    Wow! Change your password, don't you feel like your privacy has been breached? It's not about having something to hide, it's about her losing your trust.
    If I change my password and she notices, she is going to bring the whole argument up that I do have something to hide. It's what girls are like -__-

ReputationRep:
    Because my Facebook password is the same as all my other passwords. Including my college log in etc. So if she ever needs my college log in to get something of my username, she has my password.

Being close friends it's just something which I shared with her - with regret of course!

If I change my password and she notices, she is going to bring the whole argument up that I do have something to hide. It's what girls are like -__-
    Why does it matter if she notices you've changed your password, if she brings up the subject of you changing it she has clearly tried to access your messages or college login. As she is giving you the 'silent treatment' you ought to just change it.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't say anything behind someone's back which you wouldn't say to their face.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, my first thought is that you should be more upset with her than she is with you. Regardless of the fact that she has your password, she doesn't have your permission to read your private emails.

This is how the conversation goes in my head:
    Friend 'I can't believe you and X were talking about me like this.'
    You 'I can't believe that you broke the sanctity of our friendship and went through my personal things. I really need to go away and think about whether I can trust you anymore and if this is indicative of the rest of our friendship.'

Change your password - who cares if she thinks your hiding something, she never should have looked in the first place.

For what it's worth - I have a few friends', my husband's, my sister's email or facebook passwords and, for some strange reason, my mum's work computer password. That doesn't mean that I regularly go in and check out what they're doing. In fact, beyond the initial why-I-have-the-password time I would never consider going into their facebook/email because that's a massive invasion of their privacy. For which I don't have permission.

Moral of the story: I don't think you should be apologising. I think your friend should be groveling to prove that she's still trustworthy.

ReputationRep:
    So let me get this right. She can also read this thread?

Cheers mate. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellim)
    Okay, my first thought is that you should be more upset with her than she is with you. Regardless of the fact that she has your password, she doesn't have your permission to read your private emails.

This is how the conversation goes in my head:
    Friend 'I can't believe you and X were talking about me like this.'
    You 'I can't believe that you broke the sanctity of our friendship and went through my personal things. I really need to go away and think about whether I can trust you anymore and if this is indicative of the rest of our friendship.'

Change your password - who cares if she thinks your hiding something, she never should have looked in the first place.

For what it's worth - I have a few friends', my husband's, my sister's email or facebook passwords and, for some strange reason, my mum's work computer password. That doesn't mean that I regularly go in and check out what they're doing. In fact, beyond the initial why-I-have-the-password time I would never consider going into their facebook/email because that's a massive invasion of their privacy. For which I don't have permission.

Moral of the story: I don't think you should be apologising. I think your friend should be groveling to prove that she's still trustworthy.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess you're right, she's the one whose broken the trust, not me.

I think I'll just stay off Facebook until she can confront me face-to-face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrisBu)
    So let me get this right. She can also read this thread?

Cheers mate. Cheers.
    Certainly not!
    I am not identified on TSR. And not only that, she doesn't use TSR as it's not cool enough for her -__-

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a crap? She's done something pretty unforgivable. It's not that you have something to hide, it's that she's broken your trust about reading your private mail and then discussing it with other people.

I don't know how you can let her use you changing your password as ammunition against you, who is she, Regina George? Stop being such a doormat girl!

ReputationRep:
    she doesn't use TSR as it's not cool enough for her -__-
    WHAT? TSR isn't cool? Sh****t, better delete my account soon as.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really know what to do, I cannot afford to lose her as a friend. :confused:
    how much is it costing you ?

ReputationRep:
    Strangely enough, she isnt you.

Funny that!

ReputationRep:
    Whoever thinks TSR isn't cool is a ****.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.