Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am new to this, and a fresher starting out at university, I currently use Skype to contact my family and friends back home, but connection always seems to lag and it makes our calls less fluent.

I have seen other software which is a good price and means I can make calls to my friends and family if they also download this software, just wondering if there was any other ways to keep in contact with them with dont cost a lot.

the software I mentioned was called VoIPtig. Any other ideas? or recommendations of what people use.

Have a good day all

ReputationRep:
    Get sykpe, you can do video or voice calls to another computer for free if you're family also download it.

ReputationRep:
    I know about Skype, it has a bad connection from there side, the broadband does not hold enough bandwidth to use it successfully that is why I found this other option, just wanted to see if it was a good option and if anyone has used it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Get sykpe, you can do video or voice calls to another computer for free if you're family also download it.
    There's this thing called reading. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    There's this thing called reading. Do it.
    Your contribution was equally as helpful as mine. :rolleyes:

I apologise OP, I somehow managed to skip over the word skype in your first post.

ReputationRep:
    It's OK, lets not cause an argument about Skype, although I am quite annoyed it wont work, and try and solve my problem, I don't want to buy calling cards and use my mobile as they cost a lot. oh and i forgot to say in the original post i am in halls of residence so i have no land line!! help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTigris)
    It's OK, lets not cause an argument about Skype, although I am quite annoyed it wont work, and try and solve my problem, I don't want to buy calling cards and use my mobile as they cost a lot. oh and i forgot to say in the original post i am in halls of residence so i have no land line!! help!!
    Do you by any chance have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, and does your family at home also have either?

ReputationRep:
    Apparently facebook offers video calling these days. I don't anything else about it, you may still have the same connection problems, but maybe it's worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    As for Skype it is free to another Skype user but if the connection is fine your end then just put credit on your Skype account and a landline call is 1p a minute. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    no, They have neither, and I have only my English mobile with me which is just on pay as you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhys_o)
    As for Skype it is free to another Skype user but if the connection is fine your end then just put credit on your Skype account and a landline call is 1p a minute. Simple.
    I know you are able to do this, but it does not solve the bandwidth issue. Skype uses a large amount of bandwidth, this site I have been looking at VoIPtig says it does not use a large bandwidth making calls clearer, and it allows free calls between customers. and does not cost a lot, it could be the solutions. just wanted to check with other options

ReputationRep:
    no, They have neither, and I have only my English mobile with me which is just on pay as you go.
    Ah, oh well. Otherwise I would have recommended a free app where you can use your internet connection to make calls. In that case, I don't know what to recommend, the aforementioned Facebook (or even the new Google thing) idea could be possible.

ReputationRep:
    I know you are able to do this, but it does not solve the bandwidth issue. Skype uses a large amount of bandwidth, this site I have been looking at VoIPtig says it does not use a large bandwidth making calls clearer, and it allows free calls between customers. and does not cost a lot, it could be the solutions. just wanted to check with other options
    The bandwidth issue is only a problem if you have low bandwidth your end if the problem us their end then it won't matter if you're calling a landline.

Anyway try out Google+ Hangouts they are very cool and lower bandwidth than Skype.

Facebook uses Skype as it's client so the problems will be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I know it feels less personal, but what about either just using audio, or indeed text? You can still catch up with your family even without them hearing your voice.

Otherwise Windows Live Messenger springs to mind, although I'm not sure that would fare any better than Skype if your problem is bandwidth. I guess you could try going to an internet café and using Skype to see if the problem is just your halls connection.

ReputationRep:
    If you're on the 3 network and your family are (my mum, brother, sister, dad and stepmum are) it's free to call each other!!

ReputationRep:
    I've suggested just typing but my family and especially my girlfriend don't like that idea, but paying $5 each thats about £3.50 is it not? And if they do it as well I can make free calls to them with low bandwidth, I think spending that money is better than spending 1p a min for skype that will add up over the time...I think this VoIPtig option is best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaytti)
    If you're on the 3 network and your family are (my mum, brother, sister, dad and stepmum are) it's free to call each other!!
    That could work if we lived in the same County and or. my family and friends all switched networks...seem a little more expencive than £3.50

ReputationRep:
    That could work if we lived in the same County and or. my family and friends all switched networks...seem a little more expencive than £3.50
    I guess so. I mean, in the future if someone you know is looking for a network... I just got my best friend to switch. When you say County do you mean Country? If it's county, then it's not a problem :-)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry my English is bad sometimes when I type fast, I am an international student, i didnt say i just assumed, as i was in the international forum, but yes it is Country. so the 3 network could not apply.

ReputationRep:
    virgin media is quite cheap

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.