The Student Room Group

Why do people like death metal?

Scroll to see replies

because they like watching steel corrode.
Reply 41
Original post by Obfuscator
I agree and disagree. I am with you as one of the few metal fans who does actually think Travis Barker is a top quality drummer, and Flea a top quality bassist, but really what you say about this metal one-upmanship I think is incorrect. Yes, it exists, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about genuine skill. Look at bands like Animals as Leaders, Scale the Summit, Between the Buried and Me, Anterior, Ayreon, Born of Osiris, Darkest Hour (when they had Kris Norris), Devin Townsend, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dream Theater, Insomnium, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Nevermore, The Human Abstract, The Ocean, Opeth, Painted in Exile, and Protest the Hero. These are bands that may sometimes be a bit 'showy offey' but so is every great guitarist, but the music definitely comes first.

I wouldn't shrug off speed either, it does take technical prowess to play technically and fast: See Obscura, Necrophagist, Veil of Maya.

To be honest, I never said that the one-upmanship came at the cost of the music, per sé, just that I don't tend to like it. I don't shrug off speed, I just dislike the fact that it has become the main criterion for a good guitarist.

Like I said, Rodriguez and Gabriella, those are two amazing guitarists, whether they are fast or slow and neither are in metal.

Original post by Obfuscator
I think you're right, a show is about the crowd. When I speak of metal I usually just mean 'heavy' so I kind of include punk and hardcore. Personally I think hardcore and deathcore bands put on the best shows, because of how they stir up the crowd and get people involved, and the intimacy of it all. The most boring show I've been to was Metallica, so bored was I that I left early. I just think that certain genres are more conducive to stirring up a good live atmosphere, I think metal is best for this. Not goth, though. I love gothic music, but live, I can't imagine it working very well.

Oh definitely, I walked out of Motorhead, because they were just boring. Same with most metal gigs.

Also, it depends on the goth band, really, whether they're good or not. If we go trad and death rock, yeah, it can be pretty boring, but more modern stuff like NIN or Combichrist can be amazing live. Even the stuff done solely on a laptop can be good: Soman and VNV Nation are great live shows, purely for the energy they put in to playing itunes and twisting that one, vital knob on the synth.
I like music with skill, passion and energy.
Death Metal serves that.
Reply 43
Original post by Willum Infanta
I used to like it because of the anger and the drums and guitars, I was a pretty moody person come to think of it.

I never really listen to it any more though

The pic in your sig is weirdly interesting o.o, just thought i'd share that :P
Reply 44
I like it because musically, certain sub genres; Technical, Avant garde, brutal death metal are technically as good as any other genre and being a musician myself it invigorates me to listen to such an expertise of musical display.

It also is a lot more emotive as an art form and the lyrics usually have significance and more of a wide array vocabulary wise than other genres.

Vocals wise I do like them, but as a different tone of sound, if I can hear the lyrics it kind of spoils it for me in fact, I prefer the difference of layering it gives the music.
It's all about riffs, mate. Great riffs, simple as that.
Reply 46
1. Music is more complex and for DM fans and metal fans complex riffs and drum beats = EPIC
2. METAL LIVE IS PURE SOLID AWESOME
3. The musicians are talented and inspiring, they give great shows and the whole metal atmosphere is just great.

Screamo is genuinely voice crushing it takes extreme training for someone to be able to do a concert with screaming in it, its not just shouting
Reply 47
Original post by oo00oo
They are, compositionally, much simpler than metal. Anybody musician will vouch for that.

Really? Because, you know, I've got composer-friends and musicians who say other wise.

Original post by oo00oo
But the best pop songs are musically easy to write and play. The best death metal songs aren't.

See above.

Original post by oo00oo
Well since 90% of people who enjoy listening to music don't know a thing about composing or playing music, I'm happy to be in the minority when it comes to such things... and I'm willing to be that a vast proportion of this minority group make up most of the 10% that know something about music.

So that's why Flea is acclaimed by critics and bass-players alike and Travis is by drummers and critics. Because those who know something about music and composing think along the same lines as you. :rolleyes:

You realise you're coming off as a "typical" metalhead/goth/emo/alternative person, as in, snobbish and elitist, right?
The energy, and the sexyness.
Reply 49
Original post by Midnight-Sky-Blue
Haha, see, this is what I feel like about rap and hip hop - I can never understand what they're saying and the sound doesn't appeal to me, but I think it's just personal choice :smile:

For me, I think music is more than about the words. It's about the music and the talent that some of these musicians have with their instruments is immense. You should compare a guitarist from an extreme death metal band with the likes of the Jonas Brothers and you'll see what I mean. Also, the screaming sometimes involved is actually very difficult to do and I will admit, at first I found it odd, but you kind of learn to appreciate it and just accept it as part of the music, so you don't just hear 'bad noise' anymore like most people do.

I just love the energy of it all and how the music and words seem to mean something more than just about sex (like a lot of mainstream music can do). Hmm, also the fact that it isn't popular is kind of good because with a lot of mainstream music, if I like anything, it gets SO overplayed and then I get sick of it, so it's kind of nice having this genre of music to listen to by myself and it becomes more about me enjoying it and less of a noise which you hear everywhere and just get used to. It's more special then.

But why continue to pursue something you find odd? personally speaking, I am attracted to music if i like the sound of the beat. i wouldnt want to continue to listen to something if my initial thoughts about it were not so good, if you get what i mean?
Reply 50
Original post by oo00oo

But the best pop songs are musically easy to write and play. The best death metal songs aren't.

Just because something seems more simple doesnt make it any less enjoyable. Sometimes simplicity says so much more
see, if you gave an anwer to the OP such as "i like it because i like it" i would actually see that as justifiable because you don't always have to have a reason for liking things. But your argument is so weak.
i like metal by the way before you say anything
(edited 12 years ago)
They are emotionally numb and want to 'feel' something, anything...
Reply 52
Well, I like a lot of metal bands but I'm not sure if any of them are classed as "death metal"... A lot of people who are into heavier music can get really anal if you categorise bands wrong so I'll avoid mentioning any bands at all.

Anyway, I like heavier bands because of the bass and because a lot of it is a lot more complex than your average song. This means I can listen to a song again and again without tiring of it, because every time I listen I focus on a different instrument or layer which refreshes the whole thing for me...

Basically, it comes down to personal preference. Maybe you'll never understand - just as I'll never understand the hype around "artists" like Lady Gaga!
because it sounds fantastic to me. Epic riffs, solos, and most of the time the vocals kick ass.

Tell me death in fire by amon amarth would be a better song if the singer was bruce dickinson or ozzy osbourne so you could understand the words a bit better. It would not. The vocals fit the music. If it was the beatles with death growls it would be ****, but for death metal death growls work.
t
And for the record there is VERY LITTLE TO NO SCREAMING IN DEATH METAL. It's more metalcore and black metal that have lots of screaming.
Reply 54
Original post by Hylean
Really? Because, you know, I've got composer-friends and musicians who say other wise.

See above.

Really?
If you're honestly saying that metal isn't one of the hardest genres to play in a technical sense then I feel you're a little ignorant of the matter.

I've drummed in various bands before, and the tech death stuff is practically impossible - it takes ridiculous skill levels. I've also played at weddings in your standard pop rock cover type bands, and I'm falling asleep with the ease of most songs.
Reply 55
Original post by phugar
Really?
If you're honestly saying that metal isn't one of the hardest genres to play in a technical sense then I feel you're a little ignorant of the matter.

I've drummed in various bands before, and the tech death stuff is practically impossible - it takes ridiculous skill levels. I've also played at weddings in your standard pop rock cover type bands, and I'm falling asleep with the ease of most songs.

Who ever mentioned to play? I said write. There's a big difference. Obviously they're easier to play, but to write? No.
Anyone that has stated that people listen to it for any reason other than its sounding good to the individual is thinking too hard, or trolling.
It's just ****ing awesome. :headbang:

Reply 58
Original post by Callaghan
I'm glad I've seen this post! We did a topic on this in AS Psychology.

****ing hell I wish I ad done AS Psychology. You should try some Atrax Morgue man, the guy was completly obsessed with Death and Sex, and was really big into combining the two. His lyrics werent great though, basically devolved into shouting the song title over and over again with glorious deathly noise fuzzed over the top.

Killed himself a few years ago. Got his wish I suppose. His music seems creepier since then
Reply 59
Original post by hogso
****ing hell I wish I ad done AS Psychology.

Why, to learn such unscientific bull****?

Quick Reply

Latest