Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have you recently bought a decent bottle of wine for under £5 ?

I would love to hear your recommendations !!

Last night i bought a bottle of Tour de Marennon red wine from Tesco for £4.

It is 13.5%, a blend of grenache & shiraz from the Ventoux region in the South of France.

Very pleasant fruity flavour, went well with my Spag Bol

:bear:

ReputationRep:
    I've never enjoyed anything that's under £8 but I'm a right **** about wine.

ReputationRep:
    Chardanini.
    It was a lovely mix of grape juice, piss, ethanol and anti freeze .

ReputationRep:
    Tesco's usually have some decent half-price deals on which takes the price to 5 quid or under...that's what I usually plump for.

ReputationRep:
    I had some ogio, pinot grigio rose (italian) (yes i'm uber manly and drink rose)

bought that from tesco, was a pleasent drink 12%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS17)
    I've never enjoyed anything that's under £8 but I'm a right **** about wine.
    Yes, because £8 is the pinicle of nice wine. You do sound like a right ***

ReputationRep:
    Wine for under £5?! BLASPHEMY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !-Twisty-!)
    I had some ogio, pinot grigio rose (italian) (yes i'm uber manly and drink rose)

bought that from tesco, was a pleasent drink 12%
    i like rosé in the summer ; very good for picnics

a few years ago i had Van Loveren South African rosé but they seem to have stopped selling it over here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astonix)
    Wine for under £5?! BLASPHEMY
    you can get a decent bottle of wine in the supermarket for the price of a pint in most pubs these days.

i would never buy champagne ...it is so expensive

ReputationRep:
    JP Chenet. decent french wine for under £5. The Cabernet Syra is fine. But don't expect much for under £10.

ReputationRep:
    I go for whatever Tesco/Sainsburys have on half price. Then if I like it, I go back and stock up. Tho as long as its cold and white, Im not generally too fussy :o:

ReputationRep:
    good wine's wasted on me, I'll drink anything.

wouldn't ever spend more than a fiver haha

£5 doesn't tend to get you much these days - even Blue Nun is around the fiver mark! - if only buying singles. You can unearth some gems though (usually a French red; i.e. Côtes du Rhône, Beaujolais etc).

ReputationRep:
    Echo Falls and Ogio.

ReputationRep:
    Only if it's on offer, reduced to under £5. Generally I don't like cheaper wines - though my flatmate always buys the cheapest white wine he can find then tops it with blackcurrant juice to disguise the taste. He absolutely swears by this method when he's out to get drunk (and not just enjoying a glass with a meal or something).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    Yes, because £8 is the pinicle of nice wine. You do sound like a right ***
    I think you misunderstood me. I was not suggesting that I would only buy wine at a price ceiling of £8, I was saying that I've not really enjoyed a wine priced below £8.

I tend to buy wine priced around £12.

ReputationRep:
    just bought 3 more bottles !!

i) same as before £4 Tour de Marrenon at Tesco... but they are increasing the price to £4.99
    ii) Tesco Picpoul de Pinet... actually £5.29 so over my financial limit... but very nice when chilled
    ii) Chilean Sauvignon Blanc from Co-op for £3.99

if you have not tried Picpoul why not give it a whirl... it is a fresh tangy white wine, often served with fish but fine on its own: here is a review...

http://www.decanter.com/dwwa/dwwa-co...illon-under-10

ReputationRep:
    Morrisons' 'Sol De Espagne' (probably spelt that exceptionally wrong) is quite a nice wine, just a shame that for some reason they've started packaging it in tetra pak bottles... (they're doing it as it's more environmentally friendly apparently, though as you can't recycle it, and pretty much everybody recycles wine bottles, I can't see how...)

ReputationRep:
    Good News: Cono Sur Pinot Noir reduced to £2.19 at Tesco

Bad News: none left when I got there

ReputationRep:
    Urgent update !!
    Went back to T*sco today... they had refilled the shelf & I scored 6 bottles... this reduced the price to £2.08 !!

Have been enjoying first bottle.... nice & fruity

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.