Turn on thread page Beta

The thing that most worries me about my impending arrival at university... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ....How do I wash my clothes in a Launderette? I've literally never been in one in my life and the only one I have seen working is the one in Eastenders.

Do you have to pay to use the ones in your halls of residence?

Can you use the same detergents you would at home?

Do you have to wait there whilst your clothes wash and dry? That would be incredibly boring if the wash cycle takes like a whole hour. Is there like a lock on the machines so you can leave it until it is finished? Because I wouldn't want to leave all my stuff in there and come back to find some random has stolen all my yummy underwear and bedsheets mid-wash

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell steals something mid-wash? Surely they would have to go back to the launderette in order to finish the wash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.J.Shiro)
    Who the hell steals something mid-wash? Surely they would have to go back to the launderette in order to finish the wash?
    Some crazy stalker girl who wants to use my clothes to dry herself after a steamy shower. It happens...

ReputationRep:
    Halls will have them. You will have to pay but it shouldn't be too expensive - ask when you get there how it works, some will need you to insert coins, others (like my college) use a swipe card etc. Yes you can use exactly the same detergents/softeners/everything that you would at home.

ReputationRep:
    The instructions should be somewhere on the wall of the launderette. At my uni you put the clothes, powder and conditioner into the drum then close the door, put money in the machine and select a programme i.e 40 degrees Celsius colours. Afterwards it should say how long the wash takes so use a timer on your phone. You can't open the door mid-wash but the tumble dryer at my uni can be opened while it drys.

ReputationRep:
    I use 2 in 1 tabs that you just throw in the drum, because I too get a bit unsure with different washing machines as to where to put the detergent and the softener.

ReputationRep:
    It costs me £3 to wash and dry clothes. There are clear instructions plastered on the walls. You can't really go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    What is this I don't even

ReputationRep:
    Safest to stick with tablets... Someone's bound to tip a whole box of powder in which makes foam spurt out of the top of the machine, don't let it be you.
    Used to go with my mates and play poker... The time flew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickth)
    ....How do I wash my clothes in a Launderette? I've literally never been in one in my life and the only one I have seen working is the one in Eastenders.

Do you have to pay to use the ones in your halls of residence?

Can you use the same detergents you would at home?

Do you have to wait there whilst your clothes wash and dry? That would be incredibly boring if the wash cycle takes like a whole hour. Is there like a lock on the machines so you can leave it until it is finished? Because I wouldn't want to leave all my stuff in there and come back to find some random has stolen all my yummy underwear and bedsheets mid-wash
    Generally you have to pay. Yes you can use the same detergent.
    Not usually although if the clothes have been in there a while after the cycle has finished then people just pull them out so try to get back at the end of the cycle. Almost all machines automatically lock once you start the cycle.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.