Maintenance Grant Lower in Final Year Watch

giggsey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
SF have been pretty rubbish working out my finance this year, and I've just got notification of the grant amount, which is under half of what it was before with no changes at home.

I've just got off the phone to them, and the guy there said it was lower in the final year of uni, as it doesn't need to support you over the summer.

I've tried and failed to search the web to find any evidence to support this, so I'm asking you guys.

Any truth to this, or have SF just screwed up my application yet again?
denislaw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are only funded until you stop being a student - at the end of your your final term, in June. The advice is correct.
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're correct that you get less finance in your final year because they only fund you until June, but unless your circumstances have changed the grant amount should remain the same. It's the loan that you get less of as a final year student.
giggsey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by heidigirl)
They're correct that you get less finance in your final year because they only fund you until June, but unless your circumstances have changed the grant amount should remain the same. It's the loan that you get less of as a final year student.
Thanks.

It appears that as my amount is income based, the maintenance loan has increased slightly, and my grant is at it's lower amount.

Looking back at years 1&2, it seems the loan is roughly the same amount, but the grant is about half this year.
iPhone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As others have mentioned, the guy is 100% correct.
modgepodge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Finance is definitely lower in final year, it certainly affected my loan when i was at uni but I didn't qualify for the grant so I don't know.

On my PGCE I qualified for the full grant of £2906...I would have thought as it was a 1 year course it would be counted as final year and have been reduced. But I actually received more finance than the maximum amount cos my course started on 6th Sept, we only got 2 week holidays and it ran to mid July - it was longer than your average uni year basically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?