Turn on thread page Beta

In general, why do men want to be bigger and women want to be smaller? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    before i get the 'stop generalising' brigade, there are of course exceptions to this rule. but most men think this way and most women think this way. so don't get offended and throw a big tantrum if you are the exception to the rule.

for men, there is a lot of pressure to be physically bigger (although i am only talking about muscles, it goes beyond muscles to things like height and penis size). in general, you won't see men doing lots of cardio and for the ones who do, they are either old and only bothered about being healthy and living longer, or long distance runners/those training for a sport where endurance is crucial. men usually opt for heavy weights, because they want to put on strength and size. they want to be as big as possible. there is sometimes so much pressure to be bigger that some men take steroids to take their size and strength to the next level.

women, on the other hand, have a lot of pressure to be thin. lots of women shy away from any weight lifting because there is a common misconception that if they merely pick up a heavy weight, they will turn into an over-muscled, masculine-looking freak. women go for cardio and are always looking to get slimmer. they care about weight, measurements and dress size more than they do about actual fitness or strength (you see some older women who are cardio bunnies with flabby droopy skin and you're like '***** please, get in the weights area to build some muscle so your skin doesn't look all saggy). there is a lot of pressure from the media for women to be stick thin and lots of them get sucked into this and eating disorders can occur in extreme situations.

this is my take on things. what is your view and why do men want to be bigger but women want to be smaller?

ReputationRep:
    haven't you just answered it yourself...."...pressure.....".. ...

ReputationRep:
    It's what society wants sadly. Muscly men and slim girls - don't really see nothing wrong with that but obviously when people go overboard and let it rule their life, we have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Human nature, perhaps. Women will look for strong men who are capable of support. Men don't want to feel their role being threatened so will look for more dainty, petite women that are fit and active. That or it's just the media telling us how we should look, feel and think.

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, I'd much rather be fit and athletic than put on strength and size tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Men are naturally bigger than woman, and by polarizing this you create a bigger tension (/sexual attraction). Of course, this is a quite primordial feeling, so it does not apply to everyone (not saying that it is stone-age to feel this way, but that things are more complicated today).

ReputationRep:
    Because these things are signifiers of good genes, so other people are programmed to find them attractive. This is why women wear make-up or men try and be funny, they are all signs of being fit and healthy, which helps you to get what you want, its not rocket science... its biology science lol. But this is not how we experince the world, so it might seem less obvious until it is explained out.

ReputationRep:
    i blame the media for women wanting to be thin, weak minded females look at the likes of the skinny celebs and want to be like that

im not one of these female, i am bigger and want to be bigger, i want muscles man!

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if it was the other way around:

muscly ladies and teeny men. :mmm:

I imagine the basis of this is part evolutionary and part society pressure.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.