Turn on thread page Beta

Being seen as "the quiet one" a bad thing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've realised all the time I've been friends with people usually groups. People always see me as the quiet one. An always just say how I'm so quiet .

I'm only quiet around certain people usually people I don't really know, it takes time for me to become comfortable around someone , unless we instantly click.

Sometimes people point out that I'm shy/quiet and that I need to be myself. Sometimes I feel like I get treated differently as I'm not that extroverted and might not be as outspoken. An you see friends acting a certain way to way and a different way to another person your both friends with. Other people just don't understand that I genuinely am just a quiet person. That doesn't mean that I can't talk and have long conversations, I just find it a bit harder to get close and form bonds with people.

Is this a bad thing when people see me as "the quiet one"? Do you get seen as being a weird person ?

ReputationRep:
    i want to know people's answer to this. i'm exactly like you!
    so you're not alone, but yes people, is ittttttt?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monicaa)
    i want to know people's answer to this. i'm exactly like you!
    so you're not alone, but yes people, is ittttttt?????
    Haha glad to know I'm not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    Your just shy, and its not in your nature to be loud and the centre of attention. No its not really a bad thing, however you may just not leave a lasting impression on that many people, or some people may see you as uptight and boring. But dont go changing for other people, be who you want to be

ReputationRep:
    It's not a bad thing but definitely not a good thing, I was always really shy and now I've finally got tons of confidence things are a lot better

ReputationRep:
    I'm not like that all the time certain people I just can't be my full self around. I started this college it's only for a year while I redo my exams to get to university next year. I can be fun and jokey .
    It's hard getting to know other people, it takes me a while .

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself, i am very similar to you but you just gotta push through it and dont allow people to pressure you into being something you arent.

ReputationRep:
    Im the same, once someone knows me im alright. If i dont know someone im very quiet. Everyone sees me as layed back aswell though. mabey if i wernt so layed back i wouldnt be as quiet.

Its not bad at all, i find atually people want to know me more...........

ReputationRep:
    I always been seen as this I find it really annoying I feel that they've already made an assumption that I'm just quiet. I'd never change myself for anyone I just want to become more talkative and be able to approach people and be seen as friendly. I need to show my full self , some people I find it hard to not be like my full self around I think it's around really extroverted groups.

ReputationRep:
    If you are uncomfortable with it, then you should probably try to open up a bit. If you're naturally introverted and a type that thinks more than you speak, then I don't see a reason to change that.

When you're a teenager, it's often the "outspoken" ones that run the show. But generally, shy people come off as friendly and nice, mostly because you don't push your way in front of people and think that you're more important than everybody else.

I am not shy, but introverted and I just don't need to talk all the time. I talk if I have something to say (which I quite honestly wish others did more too). People can interpret me as shy, arrogant or uninterested. I really hate for people to say "you're really shy". First of all, it's super annoying when people pretend they know you better than you know yourself. Secondly, if I was shy, then surely it would only make it worse that people point it out?. If people make immediate assumptions which bother you, you can tell them to their face that they're wrong (after all, you know you better than they do, they cannot "inform" you of stuff like that). If someone seems really to have made up their mind - don't bother with them. Some just form an opinion and stick with it, same girls which call others sluts if they've kissed someone in public or snobs if they've worn something expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I do try to open up it's just hard to do that with everybody. I have to trust someone before I open up to them. I used to trust people too easily, so now I've kind of become more careful about who I trust.
    I am actually really fun confident inside only some people get to see that side to me. It's just I'm probably already seen as being quiet in classes. I don't know who to make the conversations with. Maybe someone I see in 1/2 classes.

I just don't like being seen or felt like I'm "the quiet one" .

ReputationRep:
    Theres another thing. The two people that I hang around with they seem to have grown really close already, I have a different personality to them theirs seems more similar. They've arranged to go out together I weren't even invited and she even invited one of their boyfriends to come. I feel like a bit of a outsider at times , I don't know if I'll even be close friends with them maybe just friends. I do still talk to them and hang around with them. Is it because I'm quiet they might think I'd be boring?

I did speak to someone new today in class well we kind of had to work in pairs then me and this guy just ended up talking and continued right til the end of class. I'm feeling happier about the day knowing I spoke to someone new. I might start a conversation with someone else tomorrow.
    I don't actually mind not talking to many in the class though. I sometimes like sitting on my own anyway as I learn more .

ReputationRep:
    What are good things to talk about in the conversation? I end up just talking mainly about college asking about the subjects their taking, random things.

ReputationRep:
    keep being yourself!!! my boyfriend is just like you. Everybody is intrested in him it can be so funny because he is actually really intresting but he is so quiet and shy. Just be yourself and if you prefer staying quiet then be like that its what best.

I can't tell if people actually like talking to me. I don't even get invited out to places unless I like ask if there going out then they ask me if I want to come. But the ones in this new college seem to be really close already I feel like a third wheel as I'm different. They do tell me everything though. Maybe they do like talking to me? and see me as a nice person . They just act really differently towards me as they do to each other. This always happens to me . Maybe I seem too serious or something .

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I see threads like this, I consult the great wise-man that is Barney;

“In my body, where the shame gland should be, there is a second awesome gland. True story.”

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mysteriouschic;34241799]

I'm only quiet around certain people usually people I don't really know, it takes time for me to become comfortable around someone , unless we instantly click.

Sometimes people point out that I'm shy/quiet and that I need to be myself. Sometimes I feel like I get treated differently as I'm not that extroverted and might not be as outspoken. An you see friends acting a certain way to way and a different way to another person your both friends with. Other people just don't understand that I genuinely am just a quiet person. That doesn't mean that I can't talk and have long conversations, I just find it a bit harder to get close and form bonds with people.

This is so me lol. Am not shy just quite, i don't always open up to people.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2011
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.