Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Looking through the module booklet there are two different French modules I could go for to make up my 20 credits.

    There are the modules that just come under 'French' and the modules that come under the 'Institution Wide Language Programme (IWLP)'.

    Does anyone know what the difference between these two is?

    Im deliberating between Intermediate French Language (FR102) and IWLP French Level 3.

    For FR102 the prerequisite is A* at GCSE, I got an A but theyd surely take me anyway right? For IWLP level 3 it just says you need 'IWLP level 2 or equivalent'.

    Just it sounds like Intermediate French Language does AS+A2 in one because it teaches you 'up to degree level' and you can start with an A* at GCSE. But that sounds a bit hard for me

    Anyone done either of these modules or in a similar situation to me?

    The difference is the IWLP is a language programme external to other departments at the university. On this module you would be with people from a range of degree courses, both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.

    The FR102 module will be in the French department, and you would probably be among people taking a French degree and who are the same year group as you.

    Your GCSE grade is at least equivalent to IWLP level 2, so you'd have no problems being able to take the IWLP module. I couldn't say how flexible the French department are on their entry requirements. My friend who did A level French took IWLP Level 5 French rather than doing a French department module. I think at the time this was because the FR102 module was not open to people on other degrees.. but this might b e different now!

    I can thoroughly recommend IWLP. I did German 1 and 2, and I felt that they couldn't have been better. The facilities are great and the classes usually very small.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 3, 2011
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.