Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    New Kindle is out !

Any comments ?

ReputationRep:
    Meh

ReputationRep:
    seriously?! i literally just bought the kindle 3 about 5 weeks ago!

ReputationRep:
    theres not much difference... just slightly smaller and cheaper..

ReputationRep:
    The Kindle 3 has some features that the new one does not.
    For example, the new one does not have the option for 3G, doesn't play audio books and has less memory.
    It is in a bunch of other languages though. Kindle 3 only comes in English.

They are very similar though.

ReputationRep:
    Pff Amazon, no Kindle Touch or Fire.

PFFFF I say.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are confusing multiple product launches!
    http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...-fire.html.csp

ReputationRep:
    i just saw it on the amazon website; no keyboard, less memory (only 2GB compared to the Kindle3 which has 4GB) and only a month's worth of battery!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLARA_)
    i just saw it on the amazon website; no keyboard, less memory (only 2GB compared to the Kindle3 which has 4GB) and only a month's worth of battery!
    Oh my god only a month's worth of battery? *runs around holding head screaming* HOW WILL WE COPE CHARGING SOMETHING EVERY MONTH!

ReputationRep:
    I broke my Kindle 3G around a month ago. I don't know if I'll buy a replacement or not.

What annoys me the most is it doesn't have the free 3G.

I prefer reading from the kindle since I find even paperbacks a pain to read from for the first 200 pages or so.

That and my eyes get tired from staring at a piece of paper for so long and so I can switch to my computer after an hour and read it from a bright LCD screen from where I left off.

But £90 is a lot on top of the £150 I've already spent.

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    I broke my Kindle 3G around a month ago. I don't know if I'll buy a replacement or not.

What annoys me the most is it doesn't have the free 3G.

I prefer reading from the kindle since I find even paperbacks a pain to read from for the first 200 pages or so.

That and my eyes get tired from staring at a piece of paper for so long and so I can switch to my computer after an hour and read it from a bright LCD screen from where I left off.

But £90 is a lot on top of the £150 I've already spent.

EMZ=]
    In what way did you break it? Amazon are apparently pretty awesome about providing a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    In what way did you break it? Amazon are apparently pretty awesome about providing a replacement.
    Not entirely sure, a couple of weeks ago I tried turning it on and the screen would only refresh partially. Basically very similar to what a broken LCD screen would look like... if it was a kindle screen.

I'm not going to deny, I'm pretty clumsy and probably don't take great care of my property. Odds are I stood on it or something while it was on the floor in my bedroom.

I don't know, do you think they'd replace something which was accidental damage when all I have is a warranty?

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Looks good; would have got one of those if I didn't already have the brick one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Not entirely sure, a couple of weeks ago I tried turning it on and the screen would only refresh partially. Basically very similar to what a broken LCD screen would look like... if it was a kindle screen.

I'm not going to deny, I'm pretty clumsy and probably don't take great care of my property. Odds are I stood on it or something while it was on the floor in my bedroom.

I don't know, do you think they'd replace something which was accidental damage when all I have is a warranty?

EMZ=]
    This is a common fault with the Kindle (I had exactly the same problem)

For some reason mine came from John Lewis, so they just gave me a straight swap; but Amazon have a 1 year limited warranty which should cover this fault just fine. Contact them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    This is a common fault with the Kindle (I had exactly the same problem)

For some reason mine came from John Lewis, so they just gave me a straight swap; but Amazon have a 1 year limited warranty which should cover this fault just fine. Contact them
    Ohhh sweet. Do I just ring them up and then do I send them it through the post or something assuming they will give me a replacement?

Thanks either way for pointing this out, could potentially save me a lot of money .

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually very interested in the Kindle Fire. A properly optimised media consumption tablet at an excellent price point (Which will hopefully translate over to the UK). I'll want to try one out in the flesh first, but this is easily the only tablet I'd be willing to buy aside from the iPad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Ohhh sweet. Do I just ring them up and then do I send them it through the post or something assuming they will give me a replacement?

Thanks either way for pointing this out, could potentially save me a lot of money .

EMZ=]
    There's some information here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200506470

They suggest emailing them before calling, but you can call immediately if you'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)

EMZ=]
    Definitely call or email them about it. The same happened to mine, was replaced, no questions asked.

Not excited about this new one... prefer the old one in terms of looks, and it wasn't heavy enough to require being lighter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Oh my god only a month's worth of battery? *runs around holding head screaming* HOW WILL WE COPE CHARGING SOMETHING EVERY MONTH!
    i just meant that the other kindle has TWO months of battery so compared to that, it isn't as good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Definitely call or email them about it. The same happened to mine, was replaced, no questions asked.

Not excited about this new one... prefer the old one in terms of looks, and it wasn't heavy enough to require being lighter!
    Thanks, I'll email them now .

EMZ=]

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.