Turn on thread page Beta

I've started university and I've been assigned to a seminar group for one of my modules, and really liked him. He also acts as our personal tutor, it's so strange. I've never fancied anyone before, I get butterflies if I see him and I keep thinking about him during my other talks. He's not even that handsome, I'd say he's probably in his early 30's and I don't know if he's married or anything. He teaches Philosophy and I think this may be a reason why I'm attracted to him because he's smart and I really like the subject.

I know I'll never act on it because it would be so inappropriate, but I can't help having these thoughts it's so strange. Is it normal to develop a crush on your teacher/tutor/lecturer? It's driving me a little crazy, I've never felt the same way about any other boys. Like last night I was talking with a boy who lives in my building, very sweet and handsome and studying physics, and I've been told he's interested in me, but nothing! it's so illogical for me to like the tutor.

I guess I want reassurance or something or just any other general advice?

ReputationRep:
    What is the question you are asking?

It's common for people to fancy teachers and people in positions of power, and you're right that it would be inappropriate to act on. You don't do anything, you just wait for it to go away.

ReputationRep:
    Attracted to a guy because he's smart?

Only on TSR :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I always fancy teachers/tutors/lecturers. **** it i even fancy the librarian at the moment.

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Attracted to a guy because he's smart?

Only on TSR :facepalm:
    It wasn't just because he's smart, he's not bad looking and really nice (and has gorgeous bouncy black hair ) but I do like a guy with whom I can hold a decent conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I fancy my personal tutor and it is not because he has a duty of care over me and treated me nicely and with interest. Strangely I fancied him the moment I seen him entering the room for our welcome session (the man is also the course leader).

I wasn't meant to be his tutee but because I told him about a personal issue after a seminar, he decided to transfer me to his group and I agreed; which was a massive mistake!!!

I still fancy him and feel awkward contacting him because I am scared I might make it obvious I fancy him... I am afraid of him thinking I am an idiot and he will start being distant with me or scared I will come on to him or something.

Ugh; I can't act natural now because of these feelings I have around him. My advice: Don't get involved!

ReputationRep:
    I have a crush on my personal tutor who is also leading one of my modules and leading a committee for extenuating circumstances. At first it made me skip so many important meetings with him but overall, when I felt like I genuinely needed his support, I have learnt myself to stop fancying him and just get to the point. Of course because I was fancying him I was afraid to talk about my failures or ask for help which was a huge mistake. Having crushes on people is natural but it does not mean anything in a long run and if it starts affecting your situation is better to move on from that crush and stay professional. My personal tutor is very good at his job and probably he is even noticing my approach to him but of course he is probably just amused and flattered at the same time. My personal tutor is American (I study in England) and everything is different about him starting from his accent to mannerism and his looks. If your crush is not helping you in asking for help like it was before in my case learn to balance your feelings for him good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculously I still fancy the damn personal tutor and obviously I never dared to make it known, albeit it is so obvious. It was definitely detrimental to our professional relationship as I always felt awkward asking for his advice and probably shown him a side of me which was deemed unnecessary given the circumstances of our association.

I feel embarrassed as a grown woman (I am a mature student) that I let myself get into this situation because surely adults can control their feelings?

That man probably know I am besotted with him which makes me want to crawl into a hole.

Thankfully I have transferred to another course and won't be seeing him as a personal tutor anymore, which will save a lot of red faces I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, what university? I might know him :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculously I still fancy the damn personal tutor and obviously I never dared to make it known, albeit it is so obvious. It was definitely detrimental to our professional relationship as I always felt awkward asking for his advice and probably shown him a side of me which was deemed unnecessary given the circumstances of our association.
    I feel embarrassed as a grown woman (I am a mature student) that I let myself get into this situation because surely adults can control their feelings?
    That man probably know I am besotted with him which makes me crawl into a hole.

Thankfully I have transferred to another course and won't be seeing him as a personal tutor anymore, which will save a lot of red faces I guess.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.