Turn on thread page Beta

How long does it take to start noticing a difference? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 years old, a size 12 and over 10 stone. I have a pudgy belly and fat thighs. I really want to get down to a size 10. I am going to start doing 30-45 minutes cardio at the gym every weekday, along with eating healthily. How long will it take to start noticing a difference?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    A few months with correct diet and exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Pics so we can judge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate buttons)
    I'm 17 years old, a size 12 and over 10 stone. I have a pudgy belly and fat thighs. I really want to get down to a size 10. I am going to start doing 30-45 minutes cardio at the gym every weekday, along with eating healthily. How long will it take to start noticing a difference?

Thanks!
    Never.

You will get smaller, yeah but you will look pretty much the same as when you started in terms of bodyfat- just a smaller version.

Think about it- how many people do you see in the gym pounding the treadmill/bike/elliptical/whatever day in day out, week in week out but their bodies never change. I'm pretty sure you want that 'toned' look. No-one ever got 'toned' jogging.

Well done for taking up exercise but if you want real results relatively quickly you need to take up weight training. Proper weight training. Read Powerlifter's sticky for how to do this. You won't bulk up, girls don't unless they take massive amounts of male sex hormones.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

This is what I'm aiming for:

I have a similar body shape to her, just a chubby stomach and thicker thighs.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    In terms of fitness, I noticed the 3rd or 4th time I went that I was less out of breath... but rather than cardio, try different stretches and exercises. Especialy to tone your belly and thighs. If your gym does it, book one short session with a personal trainer and just learn a few stretches to do at the gym and at home... I did this and it has worked wonders... much more effective than just cardio!

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Count calories for 10x better progress.

Serious

ReputationRep:

shes a size 8 btw so you might want to aim for lower than a 10

ReputationRep:
    Take pics of yourself, otherwise you'll never notice. It's like you don't notice yourself growing up - the changes are massive, but so gradual you miss them until you see a really old picture of yourself.

You can lose 2 lbs of fat a week safely and sustainably, so if you do it right, you should definitely see changes within a month. Just make sure you're only eating about 90% of your BMR (any more and the results are quite slow, and less and you just shut down your metabolism, which is unhealthy, and means you'll just regain the weight when you stop dieting).

ReputationRep:

Inbox me your number in 3 months

ReputationRep:
    You'll notice exercise gets easier (for things like running, swimming, biking ect) pretty quickily and after awhile itll become routine/addictive. As for weight losses itll make no difference (unless you were stupid enough to starve yourself) for awhile because your body thinks it isnt permanant....you have to prove it otherwise.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.