Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Car was broken into last night and my iPod - which was left (i know) in the cup compartment underneath the CD player - was taken.

My dad was on the phone to the insurance company this morning and they said they can't pay out because it wasn't hidden away in the glove compartment/boot etc.

Surely this defeats the whole purpose of the contents insurance? I don't usually leave it lying in the car as i usually take it with me. Was late for work though and didn't think. The thing is though, although its not exactly hidden away, its still not in plain sight. Apparently the guy was wandering about a half-empty car park looking in windows and had a good look at the pot of gold in mine.

Is there any way i can claim this?

Lost my phone on holiday recently as well and the home insurance AND the travel insurance said they couldn't pay out! Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    'fraid not.
    Take it on the chin and learn from it.

ReputationRep:
    Home contents insurance does precisely what it says on the tin!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you might as well just put the money you pay for contents insurance in a pot, cos at least youll have a better chance of replacing the item next time :-P

ReputationRep:
    Stop loosing your phone and leaving valuables in easy visable places.

ReputationRep:
    Home insurance doesn't cover a stolen iPod in a car does it ?

ReputationRep:
    Read the fine print

It's quite clearly stated the conditions in which they would do a pay out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mello)
    Home insurance doesn't cover a stolen iPod in a car does it ?
    Some car insurances cover things like that without affecting your NCB, but for someone that leaves their ipod on display in their car he won't have checked if his does.

ReputationRep:
    Our home contents insurance covers all our belongings even if they are lost/stolen/accidental damage at home and abroad. It depends on how much you want to pay as to what is covered.

But as with all insurance companies, they do everything in their power to weasel out of actually paying out. It is ridiculous. All too quick to sell these super duper policies and then when push comes to shove, all insurance companies are the same. Grr. Feel for you OP!

ReputationRep:
    It was in the car not your house so obviously home insurance won't cover it? Either i'm a retard or it really is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    It was in the car not your house so obviously home insurance won't cover it? Either i'm a retard or it really is that simple.
    As others said, sometimes home insurance covers item when they are out of the home. I have £1000 worth of cover for things out of the home, like my laptop for instance.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.