Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    seriously I'm from Portsmouth. But having been in liverpoool for a week and a half, there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision to come to a northern uni. My lecturers have immediately given the impression of being friendly and approachable; if you ever need their help they'll be more than happy to. You see, in the south the teachers/lecturuers may say that but not really mean it. You can tell by their body language that they don't really want to spend exttra hours after their shifts, their facial expressions seem grim and they never really look up or smile when they say it. When my one's have said it up here, they say it multiple times during one lecture. They smile, they look up and they sound enthusiastic- just an example of one way northerners are friendlier.
    also the people are awsome! My family have always told me northerners are more friendly and laid back but i never believed them. BUt they are so much more laid back it's untrue. They try and talk with you as soon as you sit down in the classroom/lecture room the first time they meet you-forget ice breakers they want to be friends and get to know you immediately! down south i dont think many would think of doing that the first time they meet someone. Southeners seems more tense, and think more about whether or not they are going to 'freak someone out' by talking with them, or seem too forward. Up here though nobody seems to care. The attitude is joke and laugh about anything and everything, life's too short to be so serious.
    One other thing I've noticed about the north south divide is that there are less social cliques. If a group of friends is formed down south, they can make newcomers feel very awkward trying to join in. Theycan often be *****y and moody with them ect. Up north however, from my experience, anybody is welcome. If you want to tag along and join in the conversation, night out ect you are welcome. The more the merrier.

Rant over, would anyone like to add anything to this list!? have different opinions? Don't believe that northerners are more friendly? ect ect cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Liverpool by the way

ReputationRep:
    You're basing this on one university? What *******s.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were going to say that studying up north is better because it's cheaper than the south or something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    lol well you seem to have had a great experience in portsmouth! im in chichester and it sounds pretty much exactly the same as liverpool, but without the accents.
    did you go to portsmouth uni? or just school/college?
    when ive been to the north they didnt seem too pleased about having a southener about, but i expect its different in the uni coz theres people from all over the place.
    but i am glad youre having such a great uni experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    You're basing this on one university? What *******s.
    but the point is I've been living down south my whole life and comparing northerners and southerners so far, I don't think I ever want to head back down! My thread was about the social side of things and the way people from different ways behave- I should have made that more clear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid not all lecturers are like that....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    I'm afraid not all lecturers are like that....
    well yes I may have had the luck on my side there.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that lecturers can be employed from all over the place. Hell, half the time they're not even from the UK, so I think the location of the university has very little to do with the quality / friendliness of professors. I think it comes down more to the strength of the department at that university: If a lecturer enjoys working there, they're more likely to put more time into it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I agree that Northerners are friendlier. But surely the people at uni are from all over the place....at least at mine they are, and everyone has definitely been very friendly during the past couple of weeks. I'm in London.

ReputationRep:
    Northerners are indeed superior to Southerners :smug:

... but most universities have a mix of people and aren't just populated entirely by locals, you know. Plus, the North has its share of posh people too (think Durham!). I would recommend certain areas of the North for lower prices, and it's true that we're mostly friendlier than our Southern counterparts (for example, everyone smiles at everyone in the street/talks on the train/etc up North, whereas if you do that in London, everyone thinks you're mentally ill or a stalker :teehee:), but it's not like only Northerners go to northern universities.

I'm as far north as one can get.

ReputationRep:
    They've gotten into you. Dont let them do it, put on a Ralph Lauren jumper and enjoy a spot of polo and forget the whole miserable event.

ReputationRep:
    Apologise if I digress. I'm a VERY proud Northerner.

I prefer the North, much friendlier. I went to primary school in Sheffield, secondary school in Derbyshire, 6th form in Cheshire and now studying at Liverpool Hope for Uni - still living at home in Derbyshire though! I'm at home near the hills where I have the peace and quiet, I leave my house for Uni and I've got Manchester + Liverpool with the pleasure of being in a busy city.

Train fares are much cheaper, my 100 mile round trip commute is just £12 a day, can be as cheap as £10.30.

I've been all over the North, (been to the South quite a few times and just find it a stress really) either watching semi pro football or just out of leisure. I've walked the Pennine Way through Yorkshire, up through parts of County Durham, Cumbria, Northumberland into Scotland and the Coast to Coast from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay, everywhere a smile, a greeting and friendliness. I cannot say one bad thing about the North, we don't have as much money up here but were happy.

Oh and to the guy would says that there is a mix of people at every Uni, at Liverpool Hope, I've only heard Scouse or Irish accents - nothing wrong with it either!

ReputationRep:
    Having lived and been brought up in the North for 19 years, and now been studying in the South for over a year, I agree.

When I was in halls, in my flat myself and another girl (who is from Warrington) were the only Northerners, and this conversation arose on a few occasions about the north/south divide.

We both said that northerners are a lot more friendly compared to Southerners which is true for the majority of the time. That doesn't mean that southern people are not friendly, but I tend to find northern people are a lot more approachable and willing to help whereas southern people just go about their daily business and that's all.

The discussion also arose about the south been a lot richer than the north, which I think is probably true, especially in regards to housing prices and family income. There was a lot of heated discussions about this, as we didn't appreciate some of the snidey comments about coming from a poorer background. I'm all for banter but that pisses me right off. Don't **** off my family for not having the money to pay for my accommodation all year etc

Expect banter OP, especially because I would assume most people studying at Liverpool are northern, but don't just accept any mean comments that could get said to you because of where you grew up or your families background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icba-92-icab)
    seriously I'm from Portsmouth. But having been in liverpoool for a week and a half, there is no doubt in my mind that I made the right decision to come to a northern uni. My lecturers have immediately given the impression of being friendly and approachable; if you ever need their help they'll be more than happy to. You see, in the south the teachers/lecturuers may say that but not really mean it. You can tell by their body language that they don't really want to spend exttra hours after their shifts, their facial expressions seem grim and they never really look up or smile when they say it. When my one's have said it up here, they say it multiple times during one lecture. They smile, they look up and they sound enthusiastic- just an example of one way northerners are friendlier.
    also the people are awsome! My family have always told me northerners are more friendly and laid back but i never believed them. BUt they are so much more laid back it's untrue. They try and talk with you as soon as you sit down in the classroom/lecture room the first time they meet you-forget ice breakers they want to be friends and get to know you immediately! down south i dont think many would think of doing that the first time they meet someone. Southeners seems more tense, and think more about whether or not they are going to 'freak someone out' by talking with them, or seem too forward. Up here though nobody seems to care. The attitude is joke and laugh about anything and everything, life's too short to be so serious.
    One other thing I've noticed about the north south divide is that there are less social cliques. If a group of friends is formed down south, they can make newcomers feel very awkward trying to join in. Theycan often be *****y and moody with them ect. Up north however, from my experience, anybody is welcome. If you want to tag along and join in the conversation, night out ect you are welcome. The more the merrier.

Rant over, would anyone like to add anything to this list!? have different opinions? Don't believe that northerners are more friendly? ect ect cheers
    Absolute *******s. Lecturers come from all over the globe. I go to a northern university and I have only one english teacher. He's from London. Admittedly I do maths, but I fail to see how it's possible that most of your lecturers are local.

Northern people are hardly friendlier than southern people.

The notion of the north-south demarcation is a completely false one. If it does exist, then it's the northerners that invented it. The conclusion is probably arrived at through this completely tortuous reasoning:

1) I went to the London for the day. It was fantastic! The sights were amazing, but it's nothing compared to Yorkshire. After all, Yorkshire is perfect in every single sense. But the people in London are really unfriendly. When I got on the bus no one tried to talk to me .

2) All people from London are horrid.

3) I'm going to extend that to the entire South-East and South-West. In fact, I think I might even throw in the channel islands.

4) Southerners are horrible. Northerners are so much more friendly and worldly and are real salt of the Earth types. I'm so glad I'm from up North and not a stuck up Southerner. <3

Unemployment, and to some extent poverty, is a lot more prevalent up north. More people have nothing to do, so of course they're going to be more partial to a pint and a nice conversation on a bus.

In London, a huge proportion of people have very fast paced jobs with very long hours. Most of them have to get up at 5 o clock every morning to sit in some horrible little train for the morning commute to work. They have no choice but to do this since they face tremendous pressures to pay off their debts on their expensive properties.

If you see your children for 2 hours a day, have to work for 14 hours a day, are cramped in some dinghy little office doing a job you absolutely hate, of course you're not going to be friendly. Everyone's stressed, everyone's depressed. The least of their worries to chat trivialities to a tourist in the street.

Go to Dorset, Devon, Somerset and you'll get people who are just as friendly, if not more as up north.

The flaws in human character that you've pointed out that are apparently inherently exclusive to southerners can be found everywhere.

The north isn't special. It's just like the rest of the country. Only the people are much more balanced - they have a chip on BOTH shoulders.

ReputationRep:
    Since when does Liverpool represent the north of England, stretching from the Tweed In Northumberland down to the Derwent in the midlands? And where you are from represent the south; a similarly diverse area?

Also, how do you know academics aren't like that on the majority of southern universities, a significant number of your academics are probably from then south.

ReputationRep:
    I've only been up north once but from my limited experience, I would agree.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was going to be a thread about someone living in Scotland telling madwomen like me that studying in England and accumulating lovely big debts is insanity. Perhaps not. :lol: But the impression I got from the two southern uni's I visited (Cardiff and Bath) was that everyone was really lovely and helpful and friendly, had a chat with a girl on the bus about people dressed as Romans, it was great. But since I haven't seen a uni in the north of England, I can't compare. However, from the experience I have had, I wouldn't say that southern uni's are so very terrible. I know two girls who both went to Bath and they love it there, they were both saying "You have to apply! It's great here!"

Just because you got a better impression from northern uni's, doesn't mean everyone will think so, or that they're all better. I can't say a great deal about the north in general, since I've only really seen Yorkshire, which is gorgeous (well, parts of it, anyway, shouldn't generalise), and I won't use my Grandad as an example of the whole of the North because then my bias will set in and it'll totally override any idiots who live up North, cos I love my Grandad. As for the South, well, I'm a Cornish girl through and through so I'm not going there, I love the south, I really do. I would say they both have their merits.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.