Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, let me start by saying that I know it's stupid that i haven't visited any of the unis to which i have applied.

The question is, will this be a disadvantage come interviews? Can they tell that I haven't visited? (ie do they keep track of attendance at open days etc?) Is it likely that they'll ask if i have visited before?

Cheers
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    No, don't worry about not having visited, they don't keep track of attendance.
    Often at interviews they give you the opportunity to have a tour of the school anyway, usually in far more detail than a general open day.

It's unlikely that they'll ask whether you've visited, but I guess you can never say never. If they do, you can always say something such as 'I was able to get enough information from your prospectus/ website/ speaking to friends'. You could even play it to a bit of advantage and make it sound as if you liked them so much that you decided it wasn't necessary to visit before applying, you already knew you loved it!

Make sure that you do research your course and university thoroughly before interview though. They will almost certainly ask why you have picked their particular course/ school so be able to answer this convincingly. Read their online prospectus, talk to other students if you can and just generally be 100% sure of everything.

Things you might want to take note of:
    course style- have you picked traditional/ PBL/ something else? Be ready to explain why that style will suit you
    type of university- city/ campus? why would that benefit you?
    particular things specific to that course- i.e. do they offer dissections/ chance to intercalate/ student selected modules etc.

So long as you can prove you're interested in the university you're being interviewed by, and haven't just randomly selected 4, you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be an issue so long as you make an effort to research the med school/surrounding area before your interview.

Lots of medical schools (Barts and The London for certain) allow you to do self-guided tours on their campuses. Might be of interest?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.