Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heyup,

Okay, I understand that these subjects are completely different but I just cannot decide on what I want to do with the REST OF MY LIFE.

Done so much research on all of them but still can't decide.

I think I'd really enjoy Mechanical Engineering if I could do it but I'm worried the workload would be too much. I enjoy History but just can't imagine it being the best degree to get for so much debt (no offence Historians), I can imagine law being quite enjoyable and respectable but I'm worried it would be too competitive when I'm out of the degree, and Economics isn't my favourite subject but I do well in it and can imagine the career prospects are pretty good.

So, if anyone could give me any advice at all;

Mechanical Engineering, BSc Economics, LLB Law, or History?

ReputationRep:
    You should read Psychology like all the other people who haven't got a clue.

ReputationRep:
    Mechanical Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Not law as there are very few jobs out there (unless you can get into oxbridge).

ReputationRep:
    Mech eng if you enjoy it is the most vocational course and uni matters less as they are accredited. Having done that won't preclude you from going into jobs you can do with the other degrees economist and lawyer aside - although you can do one year top ups afterwards if this is the direction you feel you want to pursue.

Fact is if you ain't prepared to work hard dont bother with any of them!

ReputationRep:
    Which A/AS Levels do you take firstly?

ReputationRep:
    Not Economics; you don't enjoy it and you'll spend THE REST OF YOUR LIFE as a second class citizen behind those with Maths degrees.

Engineering would probably be the best option.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the support Clip!

You do Mechanical Engineering by any chance? I'm worried the work-load would be seriously too much, guess I'm a big pussy.

(Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    Not law as there are very few jobs out there (unless you can get into oxbridge).
    I know that's what I'm thinking, I won't go or get in to Oxbridge, but I'm not even certain I would want the solicitor job after Law anyway, I'd be taking it because it's respectable and always has that possibility I guess.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys

ReputationRep:
    A levels?
    HISTORY IS AWESOME BTW. I'm taking it to keep my options open... law/business/politics/journalism are just a masters away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaddyT)
    Mech eng if you enjoy it is the most vocational course and uni matters less as they are accredited. Having done that won't preclude you from going into jobs you can do with the other degrees economist and lawyer aside - although you can do one year top ups afterwards if this is the direction you feel you want to pursue.

Fact is if you ain't prepared to work hard dont bother with any of them!
    Well I do enjoy Maths and there's plenty of that involved. Yeah you're right there, it does probably open up the most doors. I realise I'll have to work hard I just don't want to end up taking on a degree which is too hard, no matter how much I work, and failing.

I do Maths, Economics and History at A2 and I did Psychology at AS Level.

Which is another problem with Mechanical Engineering, as most require Physics, so it kinda reduces my Uni options

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.