Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello there students!

Well....

I set my sights at Oxford/Cambridge hopefully...currently doing GCSE....
    Will these grades be OK to do some of the very top courses such as law or medicine?

Basically I hate IT but everyone says one non-A* while the rest are will lead to Oxbridge doom!

GCSEs-

A*- Maths, Triple Science, English Language, English Literature, History, French, Spanish and RS Short Course if it makes a difference.

BUT

Probably B- I.T.!

A- levels- Should be 3 A*s and another at AS hopefully.

Will these be good enough for the top Oxbridge courses??

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mustafa3)
    Hello there students!

Well....

Will these grades be OK to do some of the very top courses such as law or medicine?

Basically I hate IT but everyone says one non-A* while the rest are will lead to Oxbridge doom!

GCSEs-

A*- Maths, Triple Science, English Language, English Literature, History, French, Spanish and RS Short Course if it makes a difference.

BUT

Probably B- I.T.!

Thanks!
    have you already done your gcse and a-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Those are very good grades that you've predicted you'll achieve at some point in the not-so-near future.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're getting ahead of yourself with the predicted A-Level grades? Focus on your GCSE's and A-Level choices first (look at the university site and see what they want you to take).

ReputationRep:
    honestly I don't think so-

A levels will very likely be A*s because they will be easy peasy like english hstory french and one more.

I haven't done my GCSE final exams yet- but all modules and courseworks are 100% or at least A* so i can predict all A*s at GCSE- apart from I.T.

So is a B in IT OK??

Also I'm having trouble getting to grips with Oxbridge websites. Can someone more savvy please tell me the GCSE requirements!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:

A levels will very likely be A*s because they will be easy peasy like english hstory french and one more.

I haven't done my GCSE final exams yet- but all modules and courseworks are 100% or at least A* so i can predict all A*s at GCSE- apart from I.T.

So is a B in IT OK??

Also I'm having trouble getting to grips with Oxbridge websites. Can someone more savvy please tell me the GCSE requirements!

Thanks!
    You don't need all A*s at GCSE to get into Oxbridge.

My advice though: pick your course first! Law and Medicine are *very* different.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone more savvy please tell me the GCSE requirements!
    There aren't any formal GCSE requirements of note.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever told you that you need straight A*s is an idiot. It's just wrong. I don't think anyone can be expected to get A* in everything, and I'd say 99% of Oxbridge students don't have straight A*s.

It's IT anyway, who cares?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Can someone more savvy please tell me the GCSE requirements!
    As with (almost) all uni courses, Oxbridge don't want to have some strict cut-off as they then might miss out on applicants that are very strong in other areas. The only thing even close is that Oxford medicine uses GCSEs as half of pre-interview selection, so there is a strong selection bias for people with very strong GCSEs (you'd be looking at 70%A* minimum, to give yourself a realistic chance). That is only one course at one uni though.

ReputationRep:
    The other thing to note is that you've declared an interest in medicine with "easy" A levels such as "English, History, French". My second piece of advice is: check the A level requirements. I've yet to meet a medic whose A levels were English, History and French. This may be because most medicine courses in the country require science A2s.

ReputationRep:

So is a B in IT OK??

Thanks!
    I think you should get your head out of your arse before A levels because you're in for a shock if you reckon those A-levels will be 'easy-peasy'. You may be naturally talented at them, but you won't be able to breeze A*s in subjective arts subjects....

Oh and I got a B in ICT and it didn't harm my application at all.

Seeing as you haven't actually finished your GCSEs I'd say stop thinking about it too much, do you best and enjoy your childhood. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hello there students!

Well....

GCSEs-

BUT

Probably B- I.T.!

Thanks!
    1. No a B doesn't matter

2. Don't listen to your parents telling you to do medicine or law. Have some balls and do what you want not what your parents or society want. Don't be pathetic.

3. Stop being an arrogant tool.

4. These 'everyone' who say a non-A* means you can't get into Oxbridge are bigger morons than you.

5. Don't just go to Oxbridge for the sake of it; choose one of them that you actually like. The atmosphere and work ethic is very different than a lot of unis. Make sure you're going there because that suits you.

5. Chill out, enjoy your life and stop worrying about Oxbridge for a bit. Do as best as you can in school then you can never have anything to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying that you think that if you get just one non-A* you wont get in? Well whoever told you that needs to do more research. I've set my sights on Cambridge, and I got 9 A*, 3 A and 1 C(drama- but who cares if i cant act). The main thing is that you do well in the subjects which are relevant to what you want to study at uni. Also, choose subjects which you are good at for alevel and research what you want to do as this will tell you what subjects they want you to have done.

For example I want to do chemical engineering at cambridge. Ive done my research and they want chemistry, physics and maths, and further maths is desirable (ive taken all four of these subjects) and they want a minimum of A*AA, which I hope to achieve.

Basically, the only advice I can give you is to work hard, because thats what they want the most.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.