Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I failed to get into university last year and I was absolutely gutted, I spent the whole of the autumn with depression, not wanting to go out and turning down work because I wanted to be at uni with my friends so badly!!

So time to focus all you complainers on what's real and why you are at university.

You are there to get a first class education

So be grateful, because there are so many others who are jealous of what you have!!

Yes, Freshers is all about making new friends, but it's not the end of the world if you don't fit in and certainly not a reason to drop out. Just imagine the regret you would have in a couple of months time when you are stuck in a dead-end job because you don't have a degree, your first few weeks at uni will be so insignificant and you'll want to apply again!!

ReputationRep:
    You're fundamentally right.

ReputationRep:
    I completely see your point.
    However, feeling very down and lonely at uni, where you are away from your home and family is bloody hard!

ReputationRep:
    i hear you bro! i was in a similar situation to yourself, and i completely agree with what you are saying.
    a friend of mine got a place on the course i want to do, but then dropped out 2 months in...made me kinda angry that he got it and dropped out while i could have got that place and been more appreciative grrrr

ReputationRep:
    So... what's the question?

ReputationRep:
    People don't know how lucky they are to have the opportunity to study at University yet some people are ready to pack it in after a day because they 'don't like it'... Absolute madness.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you're saying, I do. But if people are feeling unhappy or depressed or lonely then that's just how they feel. And they can't help that. And it doesn't make their problem any less serious.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are saying. I am not one of these people but I don't think we can understand them until we have felt it ourselves. Some people may be in worse situations than others, I haven't made friends as quickly as I thought I would but, not having friends wouldn't make me quit because at the end of the day I am here to get my degree. There are people who are so used to having lots of people around them and as soon as they find themselves alone they panic and don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    not having friends wouldn't make me quit
    It's a horrible feeling. I think it would debilitate most. Not something you should underestimate

ReputationRep:
    Flawed argument.

Why did you feel depressed about not getting into Uni when there are people who can barely afford to feed themselves, do you think they would be depressed about not getting into Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickth)
    ... Just imagine the regret you would have in a couple of months time when you are stuck in a dead-end job because you don't have a degree...
    Yeah to tell the truth most of the people on here no matter what degree they do will end up in a dead end job :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihaveaquestion)
    Flawed argument.

Why did you feel depressed about not getting into Uni when there are people who can barely afford to feed themselves, do you think they would be depressed about not getting into Uni?

How about: we, as human beings need to stop complaining, because chances are, there's some one out there that's got it a lot worse. And that we need to make the most of our opportunities?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    It's a horrible feeling. I think it would debilitate most. Not something you should underestimate
    I actually don't have any friends at uni right now. My flatmates are just so different to me and the people on my course don't seem interested so I have joined societies. I know what it feels like not to have friends I moved to different schools and didn't have any friends for a year at one of my schools and I was distraught but since that experience I have become a lot stronger.

ReputationRep:
    I actually don't have any friends at uni right now. My flatmates are just so different to me and the people on my course don't seem interested so I have joined societies. I know what it feels like not to have friends I moved to different schools and didn't have any friends for a year at one of my schools and I was distraught but since that experience I have become a lot stronger.
    You're right it makes you stronger. But it also makes you a lot more numb. I haven't had a single friend for about 3-4 years now. It's not a nice way to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickth)
    I failed to get into university last year and I was absolutely gutted, I spent the whole of the autumn with depression, not wanting to go out and turning down work because I wanted to be at uni with my friends so badly!!

So time to focus all you complainers on what's real and why you are at university.

You are there to get a first class education

So be grateful, because there are so many others who are jealous of what you have!!

Yes, Freshers is all about making new friends, but it's not the end of the world if you don't fit in and certainly not a reason to drop out. Just imagine the regret you would have in a couple of months time when you are stuck in a dead-end job because you don't have a degree, your first few weeks at uni will be so insignificant and you'll want to apply again!!
    Amen !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    You're right it makes you stronger. But it also makes you a lot more numb. I haven't had a single friend for about 3-4 years now. It's not a nice way to live.
    :console: That is horrible, if you don't mind me asking what is the reason?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at uni. It not my fault your not at uni. I'll complain all I want after all its my right.

ReputationRep:
    :console: That is horrible, if you don't mind me asking what is the reason?
    I don't actually know, to be honest. Just the way life panned out.

ReputationRep:
    You're completely right OP, but the fact of the matter is that depression / anxiety and other similar issues can be overpowering and make people do things they regret such as dropping out because they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel...

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.