Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT! I want to change Universities? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just started at University and I'm hating it already.
    I hate the halls that I'm staying in, I've made a few friends but still not feeling very welcomed by them.
    I haven't started my course as such yet and I will give it a chance but I know that I just don't feel right at this University. Could there be a way of transferring to another University closer to my home?

I applied to several other Uni's and was rejected by my first choice even though they had lower standards than the University that I'm in now. Although they rejected me, if I phoned them and asked if there were any spaces available, would there be a chance of them considering taking me on even though they rejected me? (The reason I was rejected was because of too many applicants but I thought some people may drop out or decided not to go)

My only other choice would be to move closer to home and commute everyday (about 1 hour train journey) but my course is very demanding and I cannot miss a lecture otherwise I will be thrown off the course.

This all sounds like a bit much but it's more import to me that I am happy with where I am rather than going through 3 years of being miserable just to get a degree.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or feeling the same way?
    Any sensible suggestions would very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosayreb)
    I hate the halls that I'm staying in, I've made a few friends but still not feeling very welcomed by them.
    I haven't started my course as such yet and I will give it a chance but I know that I just don't feel right at this University. Could there be a way of transferring to another University closer to my home?

I applied to several other Uni's and was rejected by my first choice even though they had lower standards than the University that I'm in now. Although they rejected me, if I phoned them and asked if there were any spaces available, would there be a chance of them considering taking me on even though they rejected me? (The reason I was rejected was because of too many applicants but I thought some people may drop out or decided not to go)

My only other choice would be to move closer to home and commute everyday (about 1 hour train journey) but my course is very demanding and I cannot miss a lecture otherwise I will be thrown off the course.

This all sounds like a bit much but it's more import to me that I am happy with where I am rather than going through 3 years of being miserable just to get a degree.

I know how you feel, I'm in the same situation as you

I am deciding whether to try and move to a uni closer to home as I am finding it kinda hard to settle in at the moment. I think that trying to get a degree whilst being miserable will only lead to failure as there will be no motivation to go to lectures and do coursework.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be thrown off the course for missing one lecture? Seriously?

You could apply through UCAS to other universities and get entry straight into 2nd year. However do keep at it and it might grow on you. If not, just take it until the end of the year whilst hoping that you get into another university for 2nd year entry.

I'd email them first and see if they'll accept you for 2nd year entry before just doing it however.

ReputationRep:
    What uni are you at? any chance its nottingham trent? if so im in the complete same boat!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Woah woah woah! How long have you guys actually been there!? Can't be more than a couple of weeks...youve just uprooted yourselves from everything you know and love, moved to a new place and you think its going to be plain sailing? Don't just look at the drunkards and think they are as happy as larry - most of them get absolutely mullered everynight so they dont have to think about how uncomfortable their situation is. It might be worth waiting it out a bit...things get better, trust me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sosayreb)

:toofunny:

You haven't even started the course?

You're homesick.

I'm sure some people would be able to phrase it better, and while there is no easy way to say this, the best thing you could do is:

Man the **** up.

Things will get a lot better as soon as you start being less of a little ***** crying because you're out of your comfort zone. If you stick it out, you'll be a better person for it -- guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember why you chose the uni you're at in the first place and why you worked so hard to get there.
    Don't rush into anything, it might just be that you'll take a little bit longer to settle in but when you do, it'll be worth it. True, I don't know how bad your situation is but try to think positively rather than negatively.
    Why do you feel unwelcome?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.