Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There's a trend, particularly among students, to claim they can't eat healthily because they can't afford it. I beg to differ. What do you think - is eating healthily on a budget impossible?

Tonight I had this for dinner:

Spoiler:
    Show

One flat mushroom (33p)
    One large tomato (12p)
    Half a pack of couscous (30p)
    One third of an onion (8p)
    One clove of garlic (2p)
    Couple of tablespoons of soya mince (10p)
    Bit of grated Parmesan, dried herbs, pepper and chilli powder (probably ~5p all together)

Ta-dah, a fresh and healthy balanced meal for £1. Vegetarian except the Parmesan.

What do you think? Have you got any cheap yet healthy recipes to share?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    tbh that wouldnt fill me up

im not a student but eating healthy all the time is more expensive IMO

ReputationRep:
    I would have something like that as a side to my main meal but I am a big meat eater so that wouldnt fill me unfortunately

However, there is nothing wrong with a winter broth made form a bag of mix (usually £1) and some left over veg and stock cubes (or left over stock). Lovely with a dumpling or two (bit of flour etc.) and can be frozen for future use and even put in a flask for lunch at uni ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoapyDish)
    There's a trend, particularly among students, to claim they can't eat healthily because they can't afford it. I beg to differ. What do you think - is eating healthily on a budget impossible?

Tonight I had this for dinner:

Spoiler:
    Show

One flat mushroom (33p)
    One large tomato (12p)
    Half a pack of couscous (30p)
    One third of an onion (8p)
    One clove of garlic (2p)
    Couple of tablespoons of soya mince (10p)
    Bit of grated Parmesan, dried herbs, pepper and chilli powder (probably ~5p all together)

Ta-dah, a fresh and healthy balanced meal for £1. Vegetarian except the Parmesan.

What do you think? Have you got any cheap yet healthy recipes to share?
    You're forgetting that in most cases you can't buy minute amounts of each of those foods. If you were to buy soya mince, you'd have to buy a whole pack. Cheese, same. Dried herbs, about 85p for each bottle and even then it would take forever to use up and you may want more spices. The 2/3s of an onion, remaining garlics and parmesan would probably stay in the fridge and may go to waste.
    I'm not saying it's impossible to eat healthily on a budget. My parents manage it (my parents both work and earn less collectively as they did when receiving benefits).
    I do think some students exaggerate how tight money is when buying food though.

EDIT: You're also forgetting that most people aren't vegetarian, and that it is the meat / poultry / fish that tends to make most meals expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I think people exaggerate. You need to go to supermarkets like Lidl and Aldi - they have fruit and vegetables for 39c and less, never mind all of the meat/chicken/fish offers. I got two fillet steaks in there for €10 and they were incredibly soft and tasty.

Personally speaking I don't think what you posted in your OP would be a good main meal - I'd have 2 of those with say, a chicken fillet and then it's a more filling meal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweetsAndSugar)
    You're forgetting that in most cases you can't buy minute amounts of each of those foods. If you were to buy soya mince, you'd have to buy a whole pack. Cheese, same. Dried herbs, about 85p for each bottle and even then it would take forever to use up and you may want more spices. The 2/3s of an onion, remaining garlics and parmesan would probably stay in the fridge and may go to waste.
    I'm not saying it's impossible to eat healthily on a budget. My parents manage it (my parents both work and earn less collectively as they did when receiving benefits).
    I do think some students exaggerate how tight money is when buying food though.

EDIT: You're also forgetting that most people aren't vegetarian, and that it is the meat / poultry / fish that tends to make most meals expensive.
    I think your whole first paragraph is more of a criticism of people who buy food for one dish and then let the rest go to waste, rather than a criticism of my costings! Onion and garlic can be used in loads of dishes, and all the other ingredients can stay in the cupboard for months.

True about the meat/poultry/fish being the most expensive ingredient, but when students (and others) say they can't eat healthily because they can't afford it, then go and buy chicken nuggets or a McDonalds meal, that's illogical. If your primary concerns are health and cost, going vegetarian, or at least replacing some of your meat with vegetarian options, is the most sensible way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessticles)
    Personally speaking I don't think what you posted in your OP would be a good main meal - I'd have 2 of those with say, a chicken fillet and then it's a more filling meal.
    Each to their own - I found that a perfectly satisfying meal! They were VERY large tomatoes and mushrooms!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.