The Student Room Group

Volunteer with ChildLine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LondonMinx
Congrats on getting through to the training course. I too am a volunteer counsellor and love it. It will most definitely help with social work training as well as looking impressive on your application. The training programme is very thorough and well supported. Good luck!!

One question; are you able to be a special constable as well as Childline counsellor? I thought I was told police officers not being able to volunteer due to the legalities of the Children's Act and Childline having an exemption to the law (maybe being a special is different?).

I was told the same thing as well, anyone who works in law enforcement has a duty to report and stop crime wherever possible and working in a counsellor setting would bring a conflict of interest.
Original post by tee111
Hi... I has anyone got any helpful advice for the interview for this ... I have a group interview soon.. and I am panicing and nervouse.
I have applied for the email volunteering counsellor role.. What do they make you do in the group interview?.. and what are they looking for when you are in groups? and also do they do a one to one interview too? And what type of questions do they ask.

Thanks

I did a one to one interview. They asked me to give examples of situations in my life and how I reacted to them.
For example they may ask about a time when you have dealt with a difficult person, how you reacted, how you felt about what had happened etc.
Original post by A-level-kid
Im interested in volunteering to be a counsellor but have had a past of mental health issues. I dont see an issue but do you see this as an issue regarding the interview process (thats the only thing im nervous about)

I have mental health issues as well and I truly understand how much of a struggle it can be to deal with this.
Counselling requires the ability to empathise and relate to other people. I am sure that there are many counsellors out there who have dealt with difficulties in their own life and have been able to strongly empathise with other people who have been through the same experiences.
Passing the counsellor training examinations will require the ability to utilise and demonstrate the skills that you have learnt during the training modules. As long as you are able to do this, I do not see why you would be unable to become a counsellor. I would advise you to speak to your supervisor if you are worried about this for further advice.
Reply 21
I need help completeing the nspcc application form it says how will volunteering for childline fit into my life I don't know how to answer it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending