Turn on thread page Beta

I did an access to science course and got a place to study at a good university. All the people I have met have done A-levels and seem very intelligent. Many have been to private schools or grammar schools and have really good GCSE’s and A-levels. I have neither. I was so excited about starting my course and felt so optimistic about it but now I just feel like I’m going to fail miserably. I keep thinking that the university will realise I don’t know anything and tell me to withdraw from the course.

One girl I talked to (who had all A’s for her A-levels) said she thought it was very unfair that I had bad GCSE’s and only did a one year course and got into the university. I have gone from being one of the most intelligent people in my class at college to the least intelligent at uni. Most people I have talked to didn’t even know what an access course was and many are of the same opinion that I will really struggle with it.

I only started lectures this week and so far they have been challenging to say the least – especially chemistry. I know I’ll have to spend more time than most on independent study but I am willing to do that. I’m really dreading exams as throughout my access course we only had around 4 tests on specific topics, we didn’t get end of year exams like in A-levels.

Has anyone been in the same situation as me? Has anyone done an access course and felt like they didn’t know enough? Am I at a disadvantage having only studied a one year access course?

ReputationRep:
    Dont listen to other people, you earned your place on that university course but just took a different route to other people. Im sure if your finding bits of the course difficult your lectures will be able to help you out as much as possible!

I hope you stick with the course though you earned your place to study there! x

ReputationRep:
    If you're willing to work hard, I'm sure you'll be fine. I think the girls you have spoken to sound really horrible though, if it were me, I'd have offered to help you with anything you were struggling with. If it helps, I did A levels, but I'm now 20, and I also have chemistry on my course, but the last time I studdied it was 6 years ago, and I did struggle to remember some of it, so you won't be the only one feeling like it's unfamiliar, I promise.

My uni also offers optional "workshops" for anyone who feels less comfortable with the chemistry aspect of it, I don't know if yours does anything like this?

What is it exactly that you are doing? If you're doing a biology course, mine might be similar, and I'll offer any help I can =] and I'm sure others will too.

ReputationRep:
    You earned your place at uni fair and square, you just did it differently to other people. Try to keep calm and you'll eventually realise that you are in fact more than capable of being on the course - the uni wouldn't have accepted you if they didn't feel you were good enough!

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to them. You still worked hard to get into uni, it's not like they just gave you a place. for me I am reapplying and I will do a course with a foundation year because I didn't get good A Level grades...I don't feel less deserving just because of someone with AAA

ReputationRep:
    Well it might be unusual in your university to have done access courses, but loads of people do and end up being very successful at university. . I went to something at one university and they were impressed that I had done A Levels so it's not that unusual. Don't get too stressed out because you've done something different. and loads of people feel out of depth when they start because it's all new etc. I worry too much about things that aren't serious (like you are right now) and that causes lots of problems for me in the first place. So don't worry too much, keep calm and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    As everybody else says, universities don't hand out places on their degree programs like Tesco hands out food samples. You didn't do A-levels, you corrected this state of affairs by doing an access course - you deserve your place.

As for the girl who mentioned how unfair it was for you to get a place; the one and only thing that could possibly be gained by saying that is to cause you misery. Acknowledge she's not worthy of your notice (with the exception a blatantly hollow offer of condolences should she drop out) and acknowledge your worthiness to stand proud like your peers. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You're good enough to get into university, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Stick at it, while your lectures will be challenging, remember that there is a huge learning curve and after the first term, it will seem less challenging.

I spent the first term at university thinking that I wasn't quite clever enough, quite a few other students felt the same about their own academic ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I did an access to science course and got a place to study at a good university. All the people I have met have done A-levels and seem very intelligent. Many have been to private schools or grammar schools and have really good GCSE’s and A-levels. I have neither. I was so excited about starting my course and felt so optimistic about it but now I just feel like I’m going to fail miserably. I keep thinking that the university will realise I don’t know anything and tell me to withdraw from the course.

One girl I talked to (who had all A’s for her A-levels) said she thought it was very unfair that I had bad GCSE’s and only did a one year course and got into the university. I have gone from being one of the most intelligent people in my class at college to the least intelligent at uni. Most people I have talked to didn’t even know what an access course was and many are of the same opinion that I will really struggle with it.

I only started lectures this week and so far they have been challenging to say the least – especially chemistry. I know I’ll have to spend more time than most on independent study but I am willing to do that. I’m really dreading exams as throughout my access course we only had around 4 tests on specific topics, we didn’t get end of year exams like in A-levels.

Has anyone been in the same situation as me? Has anyone done an access course and felt like they didn’t know enough? Am I at a disadvantage having only studied a one year access course?
    Don't listen to them, you'll manage fine. And don't worry, everyone finds chemistry horrible whether they did A levels or not. The students you've met sound like snobs.

ReputationRep:
    First of all the girl who complains has no conception of the work you've had to do on an access course so she can't compare her A levels with your qualifications. Secondly the university regards your qualifications as equivalent to hers and both provide access to uni. Thirdly I've done enough teaching at unis now to know your staff will not regard you any different to an A level student. Fourthly programmes of study vary and whilst you might be finding the current issues complex, later parts of the course might be less of a problem. Hang in there!

ReputationRep:
    You need to realise that the University accepted you on the grounds that you were good enough.
    You may not have needed the A levels and shizz to get in because they saw that they wanted you anyway!
    Tell those girls to go stuff themselves. They sound like *****es and just remind them that they needed to get the A levels to get in; but you were good enough without them.
    Don't panic, keep calm. You will be great. Ask the lecturers for help and make some decent friends who'll support you when you're stressed .
    Two girls in my flat did the access course and they're doing absolutely fine. And I don't think they 'cheated' their way in. It was an option for them; they took it. Good on them and you!
    Go for it and have an amazing time. I'd offer to help but I'm doing theatre so I think that's a farcry from Chemistry! Hahahaha xx

shes a jealous hoe.. what uni is this if you dont mind me askin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You possibly are at a disadvantage, but as someone who has been through a science course on the back of BDE A-levels. I can tell you it's manageable if you don't freak out. A lot of the first year stuff wasn't much more advanced than A level. The exams especially aren't as bad as you might expect, because if your uni was anything like mine, they'll just recycle questions from their old past papers. Very few surprises ever came up for me. If you really feel like you are struggling, you could see if your uni offers a foundation year that would prepare you for your proper degree, that's what I did and it really helped.

ReputationRep:
    I understand this was uploaded 7 years ago but would like to know how it turned out. Im in a very similar position at this moment. Lots of doubt and debating on giving up. Be great to hear from you.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.