Which Medicine course would I have a better chance at? Watch

Sherlock.H
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, I'm resitting my A-levels because I got BBB on first sitting due to some personal problems and I was thinking of applying to UEA for the A100 course this year which I found out was ok but I need an A*AA predicition which I'm fairly confident I can get. Although I'm wondering now whether I should apply to the Widening access medicine course instead at UEA seeing as how I already meet all the criteria such as first generation entrant, EMA etc.

I'm confused about what to do, can anyone give me any advice on which option would be better? Which one will I have a better chance at getting in?
tobnot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sherlock.H)
Hi, I'm resitting my A-levels because I got BBB on first sitting due to some personal problems and I was thinking of applying to UEA for the A100 course this year which I found out was ok but I need an A*AA predicition which I'm fairly confident I can get. Although I'm wondering now whether I should apply to the Widening access medicine course instead at UEA seeing as how I already meet all the criteria such as first generation entrant, EMA etc.

I'm confused about what to do, can anyone give me any advice on which option would be better? Which one will I have a better chance at getting in?
Hey,

The only problem with the widening access courses is that they'll want a good reason as to why you're applying to the foundation year rather than the A100 course. Because they don't like people applying for the wrong reasons (e.g as a back up in case they don't get any offers!) So as you say your grades were due to 'personal problems', i'd say go for the widening access degree, as long as you can get your teacher to back it up in your reference, maybe mention a sentence in your personal statement and make sure you can back it up if you get an interview.

Hope this helps

P.S. Also remember that the widening access degrees are EXTREMELY competitive!!! more so than the A100 courses.
Sherlock.H
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by tobnot)
Hey,

The only problem with the widening access courses is that they'll want a good reason as to why you're applying to the foundation year rather than the A100 course. Because they don't like people applying for the wrong reasons (e.g as a back up in case they don't get any offers!) So as you say your grades were due to 'personal problems', i'd say go for the widening access degree, as long as you can get your teacher to back it up in your reference, maybe mention a sentence in your personal statement and make sure you can back it up if you get an interview.

Hope this helps

P.S. Also remember that the widening access degrees are EXTREMELY competitive!!! more so than the A100 courses.
Very helpful information, Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?