Turn on thread page Beta

Newbie to buying things on Amazon...advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and need to a buy a revision guide and have never bought online before,but found the book in question was cheaper on Amazon than in store,so decided to buy it. I bought the book and said it would be there in a few days.

How long does it usually take?
    How 'safe' is buying from Amazon(terrified about having details stolen etc...)

ReputationRep:
    had no problems with it so far...

(Original post by OddThings)
    I'm 17 and need to a buy a revision guide and have never bought online before,but found the book in question was cheaper on Amazon than in store,so decided to buy it. I bought the book and said it would be there in a few days.

News flash!

All depends on what method of delivery you order and how popular the item is. There delivery guide is pretty accurate but I usually find it comes a day before the 'estimated delivery day'.
    Amazon is very safe.

ReputationRep:
    Amazon is almost completely safe, I might worry about less well known websites but for such a commonly used site you'll be absolutely fine. It depends on what speed delivery you payed for and where it is coming from, but I find things normally come within 3-4 days and you can trust it to be there before the estimated time online for the majority of orders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    News flash!

All depends on what method of delivery you order and how popular the item is. There delivery guide is pretty accurate but I usually find it comes a day before the 'estimated delivery day'.
    Amazon is very safe.
    Thanks man. Reassuring to know.

ReputationRep:
    Amazon has been great for me so far... I once got sent random free haribo too :eek:

I use it all the time, for games usually, but have also ordered revision guides from there too and have also just ordered some books I need for university. Also, my purchases come at least a day before Amazon says it will usually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Dude :))
    Amazon has been great for me so far... I once got sent random free haribo too :eek:
    Also, my purchases come at least a day before Amazon says it will usually
    free haribo you say? Excellent. :P

ReputationRep:

To be honest, I'm quite surprised you've never bought anything from Amazon before. The prices on there are generally a lot cheaper than most sites and they are, in general, as safe as these type of stores can get - never had a problem. You should use it more often when buying items - you are very likely to save quite a bit .
    Delivery uses take 3-4 working days for me, although has often come before that.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a cable from Amazon for 64p that costs £6 in HMV.

Amazon is Amazing.

ReputationRep:
    You should be glad you haven't used Amazon yet - it becomes an addiction :P

You know it's bad when you're in a book store, then whip out your phone to check the Amazon price of the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aljabiraa)
    You should be glad you haven't used Amazon yet - it becomes an addiction :P

You know it's bad when you're in a book store, then whip out your phone to check the Amazon price of the book.
    You never know,I could end up doing just that,I've found some cool things on there,I had a browse after buying the revision book!

ReputationRep:
    Amazon is very safe buying directly from them. If you are buying something from a seller look carefully at the reviews, I tend to go for ones who have the highest percentage of good reviews on a lot of people and quality. Especially on books.

Like it's always pretty safe to buy something from a seller who has like 97% positive ratings over like 600,000 previous reviews or something. Delivery from these sellers tend to be quite fast. If you go for amazon free super saver delivery you can be looking at a around 3-4 days or so. And if you do ever have a problem with a seller you can go to Amazon and report them to get it sorted.

You can always try amazon prime trail, free unlimited one day delivery, but you MUST cancel before the trail ends, because they automatically charge you like £50 for the service for the year. Which isn't that bad a deal if you buy more than two things a month for that entire time to get your money's worth and having the luxury of one day delivery of your purchases.

But yes, good site and a lot cheaper than most places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Amazon is very safe buying directly from them. If you are buying something from a seller look carefully at the reviews, I tend to go for ones who have the highest percentage of good reviews on a lot of people and quality. Especially on books.

Like it's always pretty safe to buy something from a seller who has like 97% positive ratings over like 600,000 previous reviews or something. Delivery from these sellers tend to be quite fast. If you go for amazon free super saver delivery you can be looking at a around 3-4 days or so. And if you do ever have a problem with a seller you can go to Amazon and report them to get it sorted.

You can always try amazon prime trail, free unlimited one day delivery, but you MUST cancel before the trail ends, because they automatically charge you like £50 for the service for the year. Which isn't that bad a deal if you buy more than two things a month for that entire time to get your money's worth and having the luxury of one day delivery of your purchases.

But yes, good site and a lot cheaper than most places.
    thanks £50 charge? Better watch out for that.

ReputationRep:
    thanks £50 charge? Better watch out for that.
    Yeah, works out to around £4 a month for one day delivery. But the trial lasts a month, I saved mine for xmas last year when I had to order loads of stuff as presents and got them near enough instantly.

ReputationRep:

If your scared about details being stolen use a credit card they cover you much more then a debit card in protection and loss of money due to someone stealing your money

Also check out the supplier as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Yeah, works out to around £4 a month for one day delivery. But the trial lasts a month, I saved mine for xmas last year when I had to order loads of stuff as presents and got them near enough instantly.
    What happens if you only buy one thing from Amazon,or only buy things rarely? Do you just get charged for that alone,or do they add on if you buy stuff reguarly? If that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StuAndMma)
    I bought a cable from Amazon for 64p that costs £6 in HMV.

Amazon is Amazing.
    3.5mm Audio? I just bought one for 65p free shipping :p:

Amazon is great. I've bought anything from phones and computer parts to a lighter. Once had a problem with a delivery not coming, and they resent it. I ended up with 2 of them after a week

ReputationRep:
    Amazon is purely amazing! You can buy Patak's Chicken Korma Curry Sauce! Who would'da thought?!

I've used it for books for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. The other day, I bought a protective case for my portable hard drive, and I'm very, very impressed.

Golden Rule for Amazon - Create Wish Lists. They can be of gifts or anything, and for me it acts as a powerful motivator that I can buy myself something nice after all my work. It's bundled all in one place, accessible from anywhere! (The Android Amazon app is worth gold dust!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    3.5mm Audio? I just bought one for 65p free shipping :p:

Amazon is great. I've bought anything from phones and computer parts to a lighter. Once had a problem with a delivery not coming, and they resent it. I ended up with 2 of them after a week
    Haha exactly that!

ReputationRep:
    Was it an OCR A2 chemistry book by any chance? I've just sold mine on Amazon

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.